Productivity in the tourism industry
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper analyzes the efficiency of a Portuguese public-owned hotel chain, Enatur. It applies data envelopment analysis (DEA) to estimate total factor productivity (TFP) change, while breaking it down into technical efficiency and technological change. The benchmarking procedure used is an internal one, which compares hotels with each other. For the period 1999–2001, the hotels are ranked according to their total productivity change. It is concluded that some hotels experienced productivity growth, while others faced a decline. Some implications beneficial for managerial policies were drawn from this study.
- Anderson, R. I.; Fish, M.; Xia, Y.; Michello, F. “Measuring Efficiency in the Hotel Industry: A Stochastic Frontier Approach,”International Journal of Hospitality Management, 18, 1, 1999, pp. 45–57. CrossRef
- Anderson, R. I.; Lewis, D.; Parker, M. E. “Another Look at the Efficiency of Corporate Travel Management Departments,”Journal of Travel Research, 37, 3, 1999, pp. 267–72.
- Anderson, R. I.; Fok, R.; Scott, J. “Hotel Industry Efficiency: An Advanced Linear Programming Examination,”American Business Review, 18, 1, 2000, pp. 40–8.
- Barros, C. P. “A Stochastic Cost Frontier in the Portuguese Hotel Industry.”Tourism Economics (forthcoming), 2004.
- Baum, J. A. C.; Haveman, H. A. “Love Thy Neighbor? Differentiation and Agglomeration in the Manhattan Hotel Industry, 1898–1990,”Administrative Science Quarterly, 42, 2, 1997, pp. 304–38.
- Bell, R. A.; Morey, R. C. “Increasing the Efficiency of Corporate Travel Management Through Macro Benchmarking,”Journal of Travel Research, 33, 3, 1995, pp. 11–20.
- Bös, D.Pricing and Price Regulation: An Economic Theory for Public Enterprises and Public Utilities, 3 rd ed., New York: Elsevier, 1994.
- Cano, M.; Drummond, S.; Miller, C.; Barclay, S. “Learning from Others: Benchmarking in Diverse Tourism Industries,”Total Quality Management, 12, 7/8, 2001, pp. 974–80.
- Caves, D. W.; Christensen, L. R.; Diewert, W. E. “The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity,”Econometrica, 50, 6, 1982, pp. 1393–414.
- Charnes, A.; Cooper, W. W.; Lewin, A. Y.; Seiford, L. M.Data Envelopment Analysis: Theory, Methodology, and Applications, Boston: Kluwer, 1994.
- Coelli, T. J.A Guide to DEAP Version 2.1: A Data Envelopment Analysis (Computer Program), Working Paper No. 8/96, Armidale, Australia: Centre for Efficiency and Productivity Analysis, University of New England, 1996.
- Coelli, T. J.; Rao, D. S. P.; Battese, G. E.An Introduction to Efficiency and Productivity Analysis, Boston: Kluwer, 1998.
- Cooper, W. W.; Seiford, L. M.; Tone, K.Data Envelopment Analysis, Boston: Kluwer, 2000.
- Chung, W.; Kalnins, A. “Agglomeration Effects and Performance: A Test of the Texas Lodging Industry,”Strategic Management Journal, 22, 10, 2001, pp. 969–88. CrossRef
- Dalbor, M. C.; Andrew, W. P. “Agency Problems and Hotel Appraisal Accuracy: An Exploratory Study,”International Journal of Hospitality Management, 19, 4, 2000, pp. 353–60. CrossRef
- Färe, R. S.; Grosskopf, S.; Lovel, C. A. K.Production Frontiers, New York: Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- Farrell, M. J. “The Measurement of Productive Efficiency,”Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, 120, 3, 1957, pp. 253–90.
- Financial Times: Survey on Portugal, October 21, 2002.
- Ingram, P.; Baum, J. A. C. “Chain Affiliation and the Failure of Manhattan Hotels, 1898–1980,”Administration Science Quarterly, 42, 1, 1997, pp. 68–102.
- Jensen, M. C.; Meckling, W. H. “Theory of the Firm: Managerial Behavior, Agency Costs, and Ownership Structure,”Journal of Financial Economics, 3, 4, 1976, pp. 305–60.
- Leibenstein, H. “Allocative Efficiencyvs. X-Efficiency,”American Economic Review, 56, 3, 1966, pp. 392–414.
- Malmquist, S. “Index Numbers and Indifference Surfaces,”Trabajos de Estadística, 4, 1953, pp. 209–42.
- Morey, R. C.; Dittman, D. A. “Evaluating a Hotel GM's Performance: A Case Study in Benchmarking,”Cornell Hotel Restaurant & Administration Quarterly, 36, 5, 1995, pp. 30–5.
- Olson, M.Logic of Collective Action; Public Goods and the Theory of Groups, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1965, 1968, 1971.
- Thanassoulis, E.Introduction to the Theory and Application of Data Envelopment Analysis: A Foundation Text with Integrated Software, Norwell, MA: Kluwer, 2001.
- Williamson, O. E. “The Institutions of Governance,”American Economic Review, 88, 2, 1998, pp. 75–9.
- Productivity in the tourism industry
International Advances in Economic Research
Volume 10, Issue 3 , pp 215-225
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors