Contributions to factor analysis of dichotomous variables
- Bengt Muthén
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new method is proposed for the factor analysis of dichotomous variables. Similar to the method of Christoffersson this uses information from the first and second order proportions to fit a multiple factor model. Through a transformation into a new set of sample characteristics, the estimation is considerably simplified. A generalized least-squares estimator is proposed, which asymptotically is as efficient as the corresponding estimator of Christoffersson, but which demands less computing time.
- Gruvaeus, G. T. & Jöreskog, K. G.A computer program for minimizing a function of several variables (Res. Bull. 70-14). Princeton, N. J.: Educational Testing Service, 1970.
- Muthen, B. & Dahlqvist, B.FADIC. Factor analysis of dichotomous variables. A Fortran IV computer program in preparation, 1978.
- Bock, R. D. & Lieberman, M. Fitting a response model forn dichotomously scored items.Psychometrika, 1970,35, 179–197.
- Christoffersson, A. Factor analysis of dichotomized variables.Psychometrika, 1975,40, 5–32.
- Cramér, H.Mathematical methods of statistics. Princeton, N. J.: Princeton University Press, 1946.
- Fletcher, R. & Powell, M. J. D. A rapidly convergent descent method for minimization.The Computer Journal, 1963,6, 163–168.
- Jöreskog, K. G. Factor analysis by least squares and maximum likelihood methods. In K. Enslein, Ralston, K. A. & Wilf, M.S. (Eds.),Statistical methods for digital computers, N. Y.: Wiley, 1977.
- Kirk, D. B. On the numerical approximation of the bivariate normal (tetrachoric) correlation coefficient.Psychometrika, 1973,38, 259–268.
- Lord, F. & Novick, H.Statistical theories of mental test scores. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1968.
- Rotter, J. B. Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement.Psychological Monographs, 1966,80, (Whole Number 609).
- Contributions to factor analysis of dichotomous variables
Volume 43, Issue 4 , pp 551-560
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- multiple factor model
- first and second order proportions
- generalized least-squares
- tetrachoric correlations
- Industry Sectors
- Bengt Muthén (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Statistics, University of Uppsala, P.O. Box 513, S-751 20, Uppsala, Sweden