Autonomic cardiac abnormalities in alcohol-dependent patients admitted to a psychiatric department
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Standardized heart rate analyses were performed in 60 drug-free patients with alcohol dependence, who were admitted consecutively to a psychiatric department, and in 60 healthy normal matched subjects. The procedure included time and frequency derived measurements of heart rate variability (HRV). The investigations were carried out 3 weeks after admission and treatment on a closed ward to avoid autonomic hyperexcitability during withdrawal or relapse.
The patients showed a significantly increased heart rate (p<0.05), a significant reduction in the coefficient of variation while resting (p<0.01) and a significant decrease of the high frequency power of spectral analysis (p<0.01) compared with the normal subjects. Cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction was found in 12 of the patients, but in only one of the normal subjects (p<0.01). The results indicated moderate parasympathetic (vagal) alteration in alcohol-dependent patients treated in a psychiatric department. This may have implications for psychotherapeutic or psychopharmacological treatment strategies and prognosis in such patients with alcohol dependence.
- Grossman P, Beek VJ, Wientjes C. A comparison of three quantification methods for estimation of respiratory sinus arrhythmia.Psychophysiology 1990;27:702–714.
- Low PA. Autonomic nervous system function.J Clin Neurophysiol 1993;10: 14–27.
- Yokoyama A, Tagaki T, Ishii H et al. Impaired autonomic nervous system in alcoholics assessed by heart rate variation.Alcohol Clin Exp Res 1991;15: 761–765.
- Monforte R, Estruch R, Valls Sole J, Nicolas J, Villalta J, Urbano Marquez A. Autonomic and peripheral neuropathies in patients with chronic alcoholism.Arch Neurol 1995;52: 45–51.
- Murata K, Araki S, Yokoyama K, Sata F, Yamashita K, Ono Y. Autonomic neurotoxicity of alcohol assessed by heart rate variability.J Autonom Nerv Syst 1994;48: 105–111.
- Berger RD, Akselrod S, Gordon D, Cohen RJ. An efficient algorithm for spectral analysis of the heart rate variability.IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 1986;33: 900–904.
- Weinberg CR, Pfeifer MA. An improved method of measuring heart rate variability: assessment of cardiac autonomic function.Biometrics 1984;40:855–861.
- Ziegler D, Laux G, Dannehl K et al. Assessment of cardiovascular autonomic function: age related normal ranges and reproducibility of spectral analysis, vector analysis and standard tests of heart rate variation and blood pressure responses.Diabet Med 1992;9: 166–175.
- Rechlin T, Weis M, Claus D, Kaschka WP. Identifying delirious states and autonomic cardiovascular dysfunction associated with amitriptyline treatment by standardized analysis of heart rate.Psychiat Res 1995;56:279–287.
- Low PA, Walsh JC, Huang CY, McLeod JG. The sympathetic nervous system in alcoholic neuropathy. A clinical and pathological study.Brain 1975;98: 357–364.
- Weise F, Muller D, Krell D, Kielstein V, Koch RD. Heart rate variability of chronic alcoholics in withdrawal and abstinence.Clin Neurol Neurosurg 1985;87: 95–98.
- Malpas SC, Whiteside EA, Maling TJ. Heart rate variability and cardiac autonomic function in men with chronic alcohol dependence.Br Heart J 1991;65: 84–88.
- Matkainen E, Juntunen J, Salmi T. Autonomic dysfunction in longstanding alcoholism.Alcohol 1986;21: 69–73.
- Weise F, Heydenreich F, Runge U. Heart rate fluctuations in diabetic patients with cardiac vagal dysfunction: a spectral analysis.Diabet Med 1988;5: 324–327.
- Ziegler D, Gries FA, Spüler M, Lessmann F. The epidemiology of diabetic neuropathy.J Diabet Complicat 1992;6: 49–57.
- Hirsch JA, Bishop B, York JL. Recovery of respiratory sinus arrhythmia in detoxified alcoholic subjects.J Appl Physiol 1993;74: 1816–1823.
- Freeman R, Saul JP, Roberts MS, Berger RD, Broadbridge C, Cohen RJ. Spectral analysis in diabetic autonomic neuropathy.Arch Neurol 1991;48: 185–190.
- Ewing DJ, Campbell IW, Clarke BF. Assessment of cardiovascular effects in diabetic autonomic neuropathy and prognostic implications.Ann Intern Med 1980;92: 308–311.
- O'Brien IA, McFadden JP, Corrall RJM. The influence of autonomic neuropathy on mortality in insulin-dependent diabetes.Q J Med New Ser 79 1991;290: 495–502.
- Rathmann W, Ziegler D, Jahnke M, Haastert B, Gries FA. Mortality in diabetic patients with cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy.Diabet Med 1993;10: 820–824.
- Bigger JT, Fleiss JL, Steinman RC, Rolnitzky RE, Rottman JN. Frequency domain measures of heart period variability and mortality after myocardial infarction.Circulation 1992;85: 164–171.
- Johnson RH, Robinson BJ. Mortality in alcoholics with autonomic neuropathy.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiat 1988;51: 476–480.
- Yeragani VK, Pohl R, Ramesh C, Glitz, Weinberg P, Merlos B. Effect of imipramine treatment on heart rate variability measures.Neuropsychobiology 1992;26: 27–32.
- Rechlin T, Claus D. Weis M. Heart rate analysis in 24 patients treated with 150 mg amitriptyline per day.Psychopharmacology 1994;116: 114–118.
- Autonomic cardiac abnormalities in alcohol-dependent patients admitted to a psychiatric department
Clinical Autonomic Research
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 119-122
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- heart rate analysis
- heart rate variability (HRV)
- alcohol dependence
- cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction
- Industry Sectors