The development and validation of a short measure of functioning and well being for individuals with Parkinson's disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Parkinson's disease is a common degenerative neurological condition. A number of general health status measures exist but these may not address areas salient to specific diseases. We report here the development and validation of a short 39 item health status questionnaire for use in Parkinson's disease. Questionnaire items, generated from indepth interviews with people with Parkinson's disease, were developed into a 65 item questionnaire. Data from a postal survey using the 65 item questionnaire were statistically analysed to produce a shorter questionnaire with 39 items and eight scales addressing different dimensions of Parkinson's disease. A second postal survey was conducted in order to assess the reliability and validity of the new 39 item questionnaire. The final questionnaire, referred to here as the 39 item Parkinson's Disease Questionnaire (PDQ-39), proved to have satisfactory internal and test-retest reliability, and construct validity in relation to other measures, reported by respondents with Parkinson's disease.
- Sutcliffe R, Prior R, Mawby B, McQillan W. Parkinson's disease in the district of Northampton Health Authority, United Kingdom. A study of prevalence and disability.Acta Neurol Scand 1985;72: 363–379.
- Ware J, Sherbourne C. The MOS 36 item short form health survey 1: conceptual framework and item selection.Med Care 1992;30: 437–483.
- Jenkinson C, Wright L, Coulter A.Quality of life measurement in health care. A review of measures and population norms for the UK SF-36. Oxford, Health Services Research Unit, Oxford University, 1993.
- Patrick D, Deyo R. Generic and disease-specific measures in assessing health status and quality of life.Med Care 1989;suppl 27: 217–232.
- Guyatt G, Feeny D, Patrick D. Measuring health-related quality of life.Ann Intern Med 1993;118: 622–629.
- Cronbach L. Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests.Psychometrika 1951;16: 297–334.
- Nunnally JC.Psychometric Theory, 2nd edn. New York; McGraw, 1978.
- Liang MH, Larson MG, Cullen KE, Schwartz JA. Comparative measurement efficiency and sensitivity of five health status instruments for arthritis research.Arthritis Rheum 1985;28: 542–547.
- Hoehn M, Yahr M. Parkinsonism: onset, progression and mortality.Neurology 1967;17: 427–442.
- Bulpitt C, Shaw K, Clifton P, Stern G, Davies J, Reid J. The symptoms of patients treated for Parkinson's disease.Clin Neuropharmacol 1985;8: 175–183.
- Mutch W, Strudwick A, Roy S, Downie A. Parkinson's disease: disability, review and management.Br Med J 1986;293: 675–677.
- Shindler J, Brown R, Welburn P, Parkes J. Measuring the quality of life of patients with Parkinson's disease. In: Walker S, Rosser R (eds)Quality of Life: Assessment and Applications Lancaster: MTP Press, 1988.
- Welburn P, Walker S. Assessment of quality of life in Parkinson's disease. In Teeling Smith G (ed)Measuring Health: A Practical Approach. London: Wiley, 1988.
- Kennard C, Munro A, Park D. The reliability of assessment of Parkinson's disease.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiat 1984;47: 322–323.
- Henderson L, Kennard C, Crawford T, et al. Scales for rating motor impairment in Parkinson's disease: studies of reliability and convergent validity.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiat 1991;54: 18–24.
- Hely M, Wilson A, Williamson P, O'Sullivan D, Rail D, Morris G. Reliability of the Columbia Scale for assessing signs of Parkinson's disease.Movement Disorders 1993;8: 466–474. CrossRef
- Gothan A, Brown R, Marsden C. Depression in Parkinson's disease: a quantitative and qualitative analysis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiat 1986;49: 381–389.
- Brown R, MacCarthy B, Jahanshahi M, Marsden D. Accuracy of self-reported disability in patients with Parkinsonism.Arch Neurol 1989;46: 955–959.
- Dakof G, Mendelsohn G. Patterns of adaptation to Parkinson's disease.Health Psychol 1989;8: 355–372. CrossRef
- Busenbark KL, Nash J, Nash S, Hubble JP, Koller WC. Is essential tremor benign?Neurology 1991;41: 1982–1983.
- Longstreth WTJr, Nelson L, Linde M, Munoz D. Utility of the Sickness Impact Profile in Parkinson's disease.J Geriat Psych Neurol 1992;5: 142–148.
- Singer E. Social costs of Parkinson's disease.J Chronic Dis 1973;26: 243–254. CrossRef
- Calne D. Treatment of Parkinson's disease.New Engl J Med 1993;329: 1021–1027. CrossRef
- Pentland B, Findley L, Oxtoby M, Pearce V, Quinn N, Scott S. Parkinson's disease: the spectrum of disabilities.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiat 1992;55 (Suppl): 32–35.
- Hopkins A. Clinical audit and neurology.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiat 1992;55 (Suppl): 19–25.
- The development and validation of a short measure of functioning and well being for individuals with Parkinson's disease
Quality of Life Research
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 241-248
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Parkinson's disease
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Health Services Research Unit, Department of Public Health and Primary Care, Radcliffe Infirmary, OX2 6HE, Oxford, UK
- 2. Green College, OX2 6HG, Oxford, UK
- 3. Department of Neurology, Radcliffe Infirmary, OX2 6HE, Oxford, UK