Anal duct/gland cyst
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
PURPOSE: The purpose of this communication is to report a case of anal duct/gland cyst and review cases of perianal and presacrococcygeal mucus-secreting cysts reported in the literature with emphasis on their histopathologic features. METHOD: Our patient presented with coccydynia. An extraluminal retrorectal tumor was felt on rectal examination. A computerized tomographic scan demonstrated a presacrococcygeal mass closely related to the anorectal junction. The tumor and the coccyx were excised using a posterior approach. Cases of perianal and presacroccygeal mucus-secreting cysts reported in the literature were reviewed. RESULTS: In our case, the tumor proved to be an anal duct/gland cyst. Some of the reported cases of presacrococcygeal glandular cysts had histopathologic features suggestive of anal duct/gland origin. CONCLUSION: Diagnosis of anal duct/gland cyst is based on routine histologic features, histochemical characteristics of mucus, and/or the presence of a communication with an anal duct or crypt. Based on these criteria, some of the reported cases of mucus-secreting cysts occurring around the anorectum may prove to be anal duct/gland in origin.
- Galletly A. Presacral tumors of congenital origin. J R Soc Med 1924;17:105–22.
- Whittaker LD, Pemberton JD. Tumors ventral to the sacrum. Ann Surg 1938;107:96–106.
- Guis JA, Stout AP. Perianal cysts of vestigeal origin. Arch Surg 1938;37:268–87.
- Ross ST. Sacral and presacral tumors. Am J Surg 1948;115:449–52.
- Jackman RJ, Clark PL III, Smith ND. Retrorectal tumors. J A M A 1951;14:952–6.
- Hanley PH, Hines MO. Presacral epidermoid cyst. Am Surg 1955;21:898–908.
- McColl I. The classification of presacral cysts and tumors. J R Soc Med 1963;56:797–8.
- Uhlig BE, Johnson RL. Presacral tumors and cysts in adults. Dis Colon Rectum 1975;18:581–96.
- Jao S-W, Beart RW Jr, Spencer RJ, Reiman HM, Ilstrup DM. Retrorectal tumors: Mayo Clinic experience 1960–1979. Dis Colon Rectum 1985;28:644–52.
- Dozios RR. Retrorectal tumors: spectrum of disease, diagnosis, and surgical management. Perspect Colon Rectal Surg 1990;3:241–55.
- Christensen MA, Blachford GJ. Presacral tumors in adults. In: Beck DE, Wexner SD, eds. Fundamentals of anorectal surgery. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1992:386–401.
- Spencer RJ, Jackman RJ. Surgical management of precoccygeal cysts. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1962;115:449–52.
- Lovelady SB, Dockerty MB. Extragenital cysts and tumors in women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1949;58:215–34.
- McColl I. The comparative anatomy and pathology of anal glands. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 1967;40:36–67.
- Thomason TH. Cysts and sinuses of the sacrococcygeal region. Ann Surg 1934;99:585–92.
- Edwards M. Multilocular retrorectal cystic disease, cysthamartoma: report of twelve cases. Dis Colon Rectum 1961;4:103–10.
- Shindo K. A mucocele in the anal canal. Am J Proctol 1972;23:235–9.
- Yeomans FC. Perianal cysts: with report of a case of multilocular inclusion cyst of the perineum. Trans Am Proct Soc 1940;41:151–6.
- Marco V, Autonell J, Farre J, Fernandez-Layos M, Doncel F. Retrorectal cyst-hamartomas: report of two cases with adenocarcinoma developing in one. Am J Surg Pathol 1982;6:707–14.
- Campbell WL, Wolff M. Retrorectal cysts of developmental origin. Am J Roentgentol Radium Ther Nucl Med 1973;117:307–13.
- Aaronson I. Anterior sacral meningocele, anal canal duplication cyst and covered anus occurring in one family. J Pediatr Surg 1970;5:559–63.
- Lahey FH, Eckerson EB. Presacral dermoids. Am J Surg 1934;13:30–5.
- Johnson FP. The development of the rectum in the human embryo. Am J Anat 1914;16:1–57.
- Peyron A. Les vestiges embryonnaires de la region sacrococcygienne et leur role dans la production des kystes ou lumeurs d'origine congenitale. Bull Assoc Fr Etud Cancer 1928;17:613–32.
- Shafik A. A new concept of the anatomy of the anal sphincter mechanism and the physiology of defecation. X. Anorectal sinus and band: anatomic nature and surgical significance. Dis Colon Rectum 1980;23:170–9.
- Hill MR, Shryock EH, ReBell FG. Role of the anal glands in the pathogenesis of anorectal disease. J A M A 1943;121:742–6.
- Chiari H. Uber die Nalen Divertikel der Rectumschleimhaut und Ihre Beziehung zu den Anal Fisteln. Wien Med Press 1878;19:1576–8.
- Morgan C. Surgical anatomy of the anal canal and rectum. Postgrad Med J 1936;12:287–300.
- Kratzer GL, Dockerty MB. Histopathology of the anal ducts. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1947;84:333–8.
- Parks AG. Modern concepts of the anatomy of the anal gland region. Postgrad Med J 1958;34:360–6.
- Fenger C, Filipe MI. Pathology of the anal glands with special reference to their mucin histochemistry. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand 1977;85:273–85.
- Close AS, Schwab RL. A history of the anal ducts and anal-duct carcinoma: report of a case. Cancer 1955;8:979–85.
- Ewing J. Neoplastic diseases. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1934:1030.
- Bland-Sutton J. Tumors, innocent and malignant. London: Cassell, 1922:516–20.
- Robertson FN, Wride GE. A case of persistent cyst of the post-anal gut origin in an adult. Can Med Assoc J 1934;31:535–7.
- Hjermstad BM, Helwig EB. Tailgut cysts: report of 53 cases. Am J Clin Pathol 1988;89:139–47.
- Hullsiek HE. Enterogenous cysts of the rectum. Minn Med 1943;26:1008–9.
- McLanahan S, Stone HB. Enterogenous cysts. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1934;58:1027–9.
- Evans A. Developmental enterogenous cysts and diverticula. Br J Surg 1929;17:34–83.
- Arakawa J, Arakawa K. Perianal cysts related to anal ducts. Dis Colon Rectum 1965;8:67–72.
- Gordon-Watson, Sir C. Dodd H. Observations on fistula-in-ano in relation to perianal intramuscular glands with reports of three cases. Br J Surg 1935;22:703–9.
- Gabriel WB. Congenital fistulae in connection with the anal canal. In: The principles and practice of rectal surgery. Springfield: Charles C. Thomas, 1948:233–4.
- Willis RA. The borderland of embryology and pathology. London: Butterworths, 1958.
- Wagner M, Zastrow R, Reasa DA. Presacral tumors: case report, review of the literature. Clin Anat 1995;8:227–30.
- Anal duct/gland cyst
Diseases of the Colon & Rectum
Volume 41, Issue 1 , pp 103-110
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Anal duct/gland
- Mucus-secreting cyst
- Presacrococcygeal cyst
- Developmental cyst
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. From the State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Department of Surgery, Buffalo General Hospital, Buffalo, New York
- 2. From the State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Department of Pathology, Buffalo General Hospital, Buffalo, New York