Control of the colostomy
- Albert S. Lyons M.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The goal of colostomy control (of the sigmoid colostomy) is the attainment by the patient of security, normal activity, and freedom from the fear of fecal leakage. The sentinels which guard this security are psychologic adjustment, a well-constructed stoma, an efficient system of irrigation, a suitable interval between irrigations, and an adequate diet suited to the patient, which avoids diarrhea and produces constipation without impaction.
- Breidenbach, L., Slattery, L. R. (1949) Construction and care of the colostomy. Am. J. Surg. 77: pp. 344-344 CrossRef
- Binkley, G. K. (1953) Construction and care of abdominal colostomy. Am. J. Surg. 83: pp. 807-807 CrossRef
- Birnbaum, W., Ferrrer, P. (1953) Complications of abdominal colostomy. Am. J. Surg. 83: pp. 64-64 CrossRef
- Druckerman, L. J. (1939) The management of a permanent colostomy. Am. J. Surg. 116: pp. 149-149 CrossRef
- Lahey, F. (1947) The truth about colostomy. Lahey Clinic Bull. 5: pp. 130-130
- Lichtenstein, M. (1955) Colostomy. S. Clin. North America 35: pp. 1347-1347
- Lyons, A. S. (1951) Care of the colostomy. J. Mt. Sinai Hosp. 18: pp. 39-39
- Lyons, A. S., Robinson, B., Schreiber, G., Turell, R. (1954) Rehabilitation of patients with ileostomy or colostomy. Modern Med. 22: pp. 115-115
- Lyons, A. S. (1955) Ileostomy. S. Clin. North America 35: pp. 1411-1411
- Marino, A. W. M., Caliendo, A. J., Marino, M. (1954) The modern management of colostomy. South M. J. 47: pp. 1178-1178
- Secor, S. M. (1954) New hope for colostomy patients. Nursing Outlook 2: pp. 642-642
- Smith, D. (1932) Status of colostomy. J.A.M.A. 99: pp. 1129-1129
- Sutherland, A., Orbach, C. E., Dyk, R. B., Bard, M. (1952) Psychologic impact of a dry colostomy. Cancer 5: pp. 857-857
- Turell, R. (1949) Treatment in Proetology. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md.
- Turnbull, R. B., Michels, A. G. (1952) The management of the patient with the permanent colostomy. Cleveland Clin. Quart. 19: pp. 12-12
- Control of the colostomy
The American Journal of Digestive Diseases
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 79-94
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. From the Surgical Service of the Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, N. Y.