Wildlife conservation in Nigeria: Problems and strategies
- P. A. Anadu
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper draws the attention to the major threats to nature conservation in Nigeria, and reviews critically the measures adopted for the protection of wildlife. The major problems include habitat degradation (through uncontrolled logging, agricultural projects, industrial plantations, highway and urban development, and exploitation for fuelwood), over-hunting and poaching
Steps taken so far to protect wildlife include the creation of one national park and eighteen game reserves, enactment of wildlife laws, signing of international treaties, and manpower development. These measures have however failed to produce the desired effect owing largely to public apathy, low level of funding, inadequate game laws and weak enforcement of existing legal provisions.
It is suggested that the Federal Government should intervene more positively in favour of conservation by creating more national parks and assuming joint responsibility with the states for formulating wildlife laws. Furthermore, the role of non-governmental organizations in influencing conservation policies and mobilizing public opinion will be crucial in the difficult years ahead.
- Adekunle, A. A (1971) The non-timber forest resources of the high forest areas of Nigeria. Nig. J. For. 1: pp. 12-15
- Afolayan, T. A. (1977) Savanna structure and productivity in relation to burning and grazing regimes in Kainji Lake National Park. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Ibadan.
- Afolayan, T. A. (1980) A synopsis of wildlife conservation in Nigeria. Environ. Conserv. 7: pp. 207-212
- Afolayan, T. A., Ajayi, S. S. (1983) Fifty years of Nigerian Wildlife. Niger. Fld. 47: pp. 139-144
- African Times (1986) Nigeria to check its population trend. 27th June, p.6.
- Ajayi, S. S. (1979) Utilization of Forest Wildlife in West Africa. FAO., Rome
- Anadu, P. A. and Oates, J. F. (1982)The status of wildlife in Bendel State, Nigeria, with recommendation for its conservation. Mimeo report, New York Zoological Society and World Wildlife Fund (US). 41 pp.
- Anon. (1986)The World Atlas. The World Bank, Washington D.C.
- Ayeni, J. S. O. (1985) Strategies for quick and effective conservation and recovery of the diminishing wildlife resources of Nigeria. Niger. Fld. 50: pp. 37-40
- Boyle, C. L. (1948) Wildlife Preservation in Nigeria. J. Soc. Pres. Fauna. Empire (NS) 56: pp. 31-33
- Charter, J. R. (1973)The economic value of wildlife in Nigeria. Research Paper No. 19, Federal Department of Forest Research, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Child, G. S., Henshaw, J. (1971) The development of Wildlife in Nigeria. Nig. J. For. 1: pp. 69-71
- Collar, N. and Stuart, S. N. (eds) (1985)Threatened Birds of Africa and Related Islands: The ICEP/IUCN Red Data Book, Part 1, ICBP & IUCN, Cambridge, England.
- Collier, F. S. (1934) Notes on the preservation of the fauna of Nigeria. Niger. Fld. 4: pp. 51-62
- Elgood, J. H. (1982) The Birds of Nigeria: An annotated checklist. British Ornothologists Union, London
- FAO, (1981)Tropical Forest Resources Assessment Project: Forest Resources of Tropical Africa. Part II: Country Briefs. pp. 359–379
- Hall, P. (1976) Priorities for wildlife conservation in North-Eastern Nigeria. Niger. Fld. 41: pp. 99-115
- Happold, D. C. D. (1971) A history of wildlife conservation in Nigeria, and thoughts for the future. In, Happold, D.C.D. (ed.),Wildlife Conservation in West Africa. IUCN Publ. new series No. 22. Morges, Switzerland, pp. 7–14.
- Happold, D. C. D. (1985) Geographical ecology of Nigerian mammals. Ann. Mus. Royal Afr. Centre 246: pp. 5-59
- Haywood, A. H. (1932) Nigeria—Preservation of wildlife. J. Soc. Pres. Fauna Empire (NS) 17: pp. 27-48
- Kio, P. R. O. (1979) Management strategies in the natural tropical high forest. Forest Ecology Management 2: pp. 207-220
- Kio, P. R. O., Hall, J. B. (1982) Models for the sustained use of rainforest. University of Ibadan, Ibadan
- Kurian, G. (1983) Atlas of the Third World. Mansell Publishing Ltd., London
- Martin, G. H. S. (1983) Bushmeat in Nigeria as a natural resource with environmental implications. Environ. Cons. 10: pp. 125-132
- Onanuga, B. (1986) Controlling the birth boom.African Concord, April 17, p.8.
- Oseni, A. M. (1969)The development of tree crops and timber industries in Nigeria. Paper presented to the Annual Conference of Agricultural Society of Nigeria. Benin City, July 1969.
- Petrides, G. (1965) Advisory Report on Wildlife and National Parks in Nigeria, 1962.Amer. Committee for Int. Wildl. Protection. Sp. Publ. 19.
- Shorthose, W. T. (1936) A Criticism. Niger. Fld. 5: pp. 60-68
- Spottiswoode, M. (1937) Game Preservation: Ambition or Achievement?. Niger. Fld. 6: pp. 114-115
- Wildlife conservation in Nigeria: Problems and strategies
Volume 7, Issue 3 , pp 211-220
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- P. A. Anadu (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Benin, P.M.B. 1154, Benin City, Nigeria