An evaluation of the autism behavior checklist
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The Autism Behavior Checklist (ABC), an assessment instrument for autistic individuals, was evaluated in a group of 157 subjects, 94 clinically autistic and 63 nonautistic. The two groups differed significantly in ratings of pathology. Both false positive and false negative diagnostic classifications were made when the results of the checklist were compared with clinical diagnosis. Effects of developmental level and age were observed. The ABC appears to have merit as a screening instrument, though results of the checklist alone cannot be taken as establishing a diagnosis of autism. Important issues of reliability and validity remain to be addressed.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1980).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed.). Washington, D.C.: Author.
- Cicchetti, D. V., & Sparrow, S. S. (1981). Developing criteria for establishing interrater reliability of specific items in a given inventory.American Journal of Mental Deficiency, 86, 127–137.
- Cohen, J. (1960). A coefficient of agreement for nominal scales.Educational and Psychological Measurements, 20, 37–46.
- Cohen, D. J., Caparulo, B., Gold, J., Waldo, M., Shaywitz, B., Ruttenberg, B., & Rimland, B. (1978). Agreement in diagnosis: Clinical assessment and behavior rating scales for pervasively disturbed children.Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 17, 689–695.
- Cohen, D. J., Paul, R., & Volkmar, F. R. (1986) Issues in the classification of pervasive and other developmental disorders: Towards DSM IV.Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 25, 213–220.
- Cohen, D. J., Volkmar, F. R., & Paul, D. (1986) Issues in the classification of “pervasive developmental disorders”: History and current status of nosology.Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 25, 158–161.
- Fein, D., Pennington, B., Markowitz, P., Braverman, M., & Waterhouse, L. (1986). Towards a neuropsychological model of infantile autism: Are the social deficits primary?Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 25, 198–212.
- Fleiss, J. L. (1981).Statistical methods for rates and proportions (2nd ed.), New York: Wiley.
- Freeman, B. J., Schroth, P., Ritvo, E., Guthrie, D., & Wake, J. (1980). The Behavior Observation Scale for Autism (BOS): Initial results of factor analyses.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 10, 343–346.
- Hagerman, R. J., Jackson, A. W., Levits, A., et al. (1986). An analysis of autism in 50 males with the fragile X syndrome.American Journal of Medical Genetics, 23, 359–374.
- Krug, D. A., Arick, J. R., & Almond, P. G. (1979) Autism screening instrument for educational planning background and development. In J. Gilliam (Ed.), Autism: Diagnosis, instruction, management and research. Austin: University of Texas at Austin Press.
- Krug, D. A., Arick, J. R., & Almond, P. G. (1980). Behavior checklist for identifying severely handcapped individuals with high levels of autistic behavior.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 21, 221–229.
- Leach, C. (1979).Introduction to statistics: A nonparametric approach for the social sciences. New York: Wiley.
- Lotter, V. (1978). Follow-up studies. In M. Rutter & E. Schopler (Eds.),Autism: a reappraisal of concepts and treatment. New York: Plenum.
- Parks, S. L. (1983). The assessment of autistic children: A selective review of available instruments.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 13, 255–267.
- Rimland, B. (1971). The differentiation of childhood psychoses: An analysis of checklists for 2,218 psychotic children.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 1, 161–174.
- Ritvo, E. R., & Freeman, B. J. (1978). National Society for Autistic Children definition of the syndrome of autism.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 8, 162–169.
- Robbins, L. C. (1963). The accuracy of parental recall of aspects of child development and of child rearing practices.Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 66, 261–270.
- Ruttenberg, B. A., Dratman, M. L., Fraknoi, J., & Wenar, C. (1966). An instrument for evaluating autistic children.Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 5, 453–478.
- Ruttenberg, B. A., Kalish, B. I., Wenar, C., & Wolf, E. G. (1977).Behavior rating instrument for autistic and other atypical children (rev. Ed). Philadelphia: Developmental Center for Autistic Children.
- Rutter, M. (1978). Diagnosis and definition. In M. Rutter & E. Schopler (Eds.),Autism: A reappraisal of concepts and treatment. New York: Plenum.
- Rutter, M., & Garmezy, N. (1983). Developmental psychopathology. In E. M. Hetherington (Ed.),Handbook of child psychology (4th ed.) Volume IV: Socialization, Personality, and Social Developmental (pp. 775–911). New York: Wiley.
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R. L., DeVellis, R. F., & Daly, K. (1980), Toward objective classification of childhood autism: Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS).Journals of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 10, 91–103.
- Sparrow, S., Balla, D., & Cicchetti, D. (1984a).Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales (Survey Form). Circle Pines, Minnesota: American Guidance Service.
- Sparrow, S., Balla, D., & Ciccheti, D. (1984b).Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales (Expanded Form). Circle Pines, Minnesota: American Guidance Service.
- Volkmar, F., Cohen, D. J., & Paul, R. (1986). An evaluation of DSM-III criteria for infantile autism.Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 25, 190–197.
- Volkmar, F. R., Hoder, E. L., & Cohen, D. J. (1985). Compliance, ‘negativism,’ and the effects of treatment structure in autism: A naturalistic, behavioral study.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 26, 865–877.
- Volkmar, F., Sparrow, S. A., Goudreau, D., Cicchetti, D. V., Paul, R., & Cohen, D. J. (1987). Social Deficits in autism: An operational approach using the Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales.Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 26, 156–161.
- Volkmar, F. R., Stier, D. M., & Cohen, D. J. (1985). Age of onset of pervasive developmental disorder.American Journal of Psychiatry, 142, 1450–1452.
- Zigler, E. (1969). Developmental versus difference theories of mental retardation and the problem of motivation.American Journal of Mental Deficiency, 73, 536–549.
- An evaluation of the autism behavior checklist
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 81-97
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors