Innovative programming in a community service center
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A Community Center in a downtown urban area offers comprehensive services that provide continuity and choice to homeless and poor people. Emphasis is on outreach, through a Day Treatment Program for severely, persistently mentally ill homeless, a mobile outreach team, and neighborhood services, and/or employment, including a restaurant and Employment Reintegration Program. The Center is an example of how professionals, community and business leaders, and citizens can unite to assist clients and how programs can evolve from clients' requests and participation in services. The Center's programming can be followed in any community in this health care reform era.
- Belcher, J., & DiBlasio, F. (1990). The needs of depressed homeless persons: Designing appropriate services.Community Mental Health Journal, 26(3), 255–266. CrossRef
- Eusser, E., Goldfinger, S., & White, A. (1990). Some clinical approaches to the homeless mentally ill.Community Mental Health Journal, 26(5), 463–480. CrossRef
- Martin, M. (1990). The homeless mentally ill and community-based care: Changing a mindset.Community Mental Health Journal, 26(5), 435–447. CrossRef
- National Institute of Mental Health. (1980).Guidelines for community support systems (rev.). Rockville, MD: Author.
- Stroul, B.A. (1986).Models of community support services: Approaches to helping persons with longterm mental illness in community support programs. Rockville, MD: National Institute of Mental Health.
- Innovative programming in a community service center
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 31, Issue 2 , pp 153-161
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mental Health Programs, St. Patrick Center, St. Louis, Missouri
- 2. Program Independence, St. Patrick Center, St. Louis, Missouri
- 3. Saint Louis University School of Nursing, 3525 Caroline Avenue, 63104, St. Louis, Missouri