Drag and heat transfer relations for the planetary boundary layer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A theory is offered for the drag and heat transfer relations in the statistically steady, horizontally homogeneous, diabatic, barotropic planetary boundary layer. The boundary layer is divided into three regionsR 1,R 2, andR 3, in which the heights are of the order of magnitude ofz 0,L, andh, respectively, wherez 0 is the roughness length for either momentum or temperature,L is the Obukhov length, andh is the height of the planetary boundary layer. A matching procedure is used in the overlap zones of regionsR 1 andR 2 and of regionsR 2 andR 3, assuming thatz 0 ≪L ≪h. The analysis yields the three similarity functionsA(μ),B(μ), andC(μ) of the stability parameter, μ = ϰu */fL, where ϰ is von Kármán's constant,u * is the friction velocity at the ground andf is the Coriolis parameter. The results are in agreement with those previously found by Zilitinkevich (1975) for the unstable case, and differ from his results only by the addition of a universal constant for the stable case. Some recent data from atmospheric measurements lend support to the theory and permit the approximate evaluation of universal constants.
- Arya, S. P. S. (1975) Geostrophic Drag and Heat Transfer Relations for the Atmospheric Boundary layer. Quart. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 101: pp. 147-161
- Businger, J. A., Wyngaard, J. C., Izumi, Y., Bradley, E. F. (1971) Flux Profile Relationships in the Atmospheric Surface Layer. J. Atmos. Sci. 28: pp. 181-189
- Businger, J. A., Arya, S. P. S. (1974) Height of the Mixed Layer in the Stably Stratified Planetary Boundary Layer. Adv. Geophy. 18A: pp. 73-92
- Csanady, G. T. (1972) Geostrophic Drag, Heat and Mass Transfer Coefficients for the Diabatic Ekman Layer. J. Atmos. Sci. 29: pp. 488-496
- Izakson, A. A. (1937) On the Formula for Velocity Distributions Near Walls. Tech. Phys. USSR 4: pp. 27-37
- Long, R. R. (1976) Relation between Nusselt Number and Rayleigh Number in Turbulent Thermal Convection. J. Fluid Mech. 73: pp. 445-451
- Long, R. R.: 1977, ‘Some Aspects of Turbulence in Geophysical Systems’, (To appear inAppl. Mech. Rev.).
- Millikan, C. B.: 1937, ‘A Critical Discussion of Turbulent Flows in Channels and Circular Tubes’,Proc. 5th Inter. Congr. Appl. Mech., pp. 386–392.
- Monin, A. S. and Yaglom, A. M.: 1971,Statistical Fluid Mechanics: Mechanics of Turbulence, Vol. 1, MIT Press.
- Obukhov, A. M. (1946) Turbulence in Thermally Inhomogeneous Atmosphere. Trudy In-ta Teoret. Geofiz. AN SSSR 1: pp. 95-115
- Prandtl, L. (1932) Meteorologische Andwendungen der Strömungslehre. Beitr. Phys. Atmos. 19: pp. 188-202
- Priestley, C. H. B. (1959) Turbulent Transfer in the Lower Atmosphere. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago, Ill.
- Tennekes, H., Lumley, J. L. (1972) A First Course in Turbulence. MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- Townsend, A. A. : 1976,The Structure of Turbulent Shear Flow, Cambridge Univ. Press (Second Edition).
- Wyngaard, J. C., Arya, S. P. S., Coté, O. R. (1974) Some Aspects of the Structure of Convective Planetary Boundary Layers. J. Atmos. Sci. 31: pp. 747-754
- Yamada, T. (1976) On the Similarity FunctionsA, B, C of the Planetary Boundary Layer. J. Atmos. Sci. 33: pp. 781-793
- Yamada, T., Mellor, G. L. (1975) A Simulation of the Wangara Atmospheric Boundary Layer Data. J. Atmos. Sci. 32: pp. 2309-2329
- Zilitinkevich, S. S. (1972) On the Determination of the Height of the Ekman Boundary Layer. Boundary-Layer Meteorol. 3: pp. 141-145
- Zilitinkevich, S. S. (1975) Resistance Laws and Prediction Equations for the Depth of the Planetary Boundary Layer. J. Atmos. Sci. 32: pp. 741-752
- Zilitinkevich, S. S., Chalikov, D. V. (1968) The Laws of Resistance and of Heat and Moisture Exchange in the interaction between the Atmosphere and Underlying Surface. Izv. Atmos. Ocean. Phys. 4: pp. 438-441
- Drag and heat transfer relations for the planetary boundary layer
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 363-373
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors