Selective criteria for transfer to community hospital inpatient mental health services
- Thomas Uttaro Ph.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To reduce census and downsize operations, state inpatient care is being relocated to community hospitals. Planners must consider current selection processes to effect system redesign. This research examined a collaborative admission process from a state provider to community hospitals. Consumers with involved family/significant others were likely to be transferred. Those exhibiting suicidal behavior and males with assaultive behavior were unlikely to be transferred. It is suggested that cross sector specialization is a practical strategy for redesign and that community hospitals may require enhancements to function as sole core providers for the SMI population.
- Appleby, L.W., & Desai, P.N. (1985). Documenting the relationship between homelessness and psychiatric hospitalization.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 36, 732–737.
- Bachrach, L.L. (1981). The effects of deinstitutionalization on general hospital psychiatry.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 32, 786–790.
- Bachrach, L.L. (1986). The homeless mentally ill in the general hospital: A question of fit.General Hospital Psychiatry, 8, 340–349. CrossRef
- Bassuk, E. (1980). The impact of deinstitutionalization on the general hospital psychiatry emergency ward.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 31, 623–627.
- Cheung, P. (1992). Suicide precautions for psychiatric inpatients: A review.Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 26, 592–598.
- Cotton, P.G., Drake, R.E., Whitaker, A., & Potter, J. (1983). Dealing with suicide on a psychiatric inpatient unit.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 34, 55–59.
- Edwards, J.G., Jones, D., Reid, W.H., & Chu, C.C. (1988). Physical assaults in a psychiatric unit of a general hospital.American Journal of Psychiatry, 145, 1568–1571.
- Engel, F., & Marsh, S. (1986). Helping the employee victim of violence in hospitals.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 37, 159–162.
- Feis, C.L., Mowbray, C.T., & Chamberlain, P.J. (1990). Serving the chronic mentally ill in state and community hospitals.Community Mental Health Journal, 26, 221–232. CrossRef
- Frank, R.G., & Kamlet, M.S. (1990). Economic aspects of patterns of mental health care: Cost variation by setting.General Hospital Psychiatry, 12, 11–18. CrossRef
- Friedman, S., Feinsilver, D.L., Davis, G.W., Margolis, R., David, O.J., & Kesselman, M. (1981). Decision to admit in an inner-city psychiatric emergency room: Beyond diagnosis-the psychosocial factors.Psychiatric Quarterly, 53, 259–274. CrossRef
- Greenhill, M.H. (1979). Psychiatric units in general hospitals.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 30, 169–182.
- Keill, S.L. (1981). The general hospital as the core of the mental health services system.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 32, 776–776.
- Lawson, W.B., Helper, N., Holladay, J., & Cuffel, B. (1994). Race as a factor in inpatient and outpatient admissions and diagnosis.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 45, 72–74.
- Leaf, P.J., Bruce, M.L., & Tischler, G.L. (1988). Factors influencing the utilization of specialty and general medical mental health services.Medical Care, 26, 9–26.
- Lee, H.K., Villar, O., Juthani, N., & Bluestone, H. (1989). Characteristics and behavior of patients involved in psychiatric ward incidents.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 40, 1295–1297.
- Hoge, M.A., Davidson, L., Griffith, E.E.H., Sledge, W.H., & Howenstine, R.A. (1994). Defining managed care in public sector psychiatry.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 45, 1085–1089.
- McGuire, T.G., Mosakowski, W.S., & Radigan, L.S. (1990). Designing a state level prospective payment system for inpatient psychiatric services in Medicaid.Administration and Policy in Mental Health, 18, 43–54. CrossRef
- Mechanic, D. (1991). Strategies for integrating public mental health services.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 42, 797–801.
- Olfson, M. (1991). General hospitals and the severely mentally ill: Changing patterns of diagnosis.American Journal of Psychiatry, 148, 727–732.
- Olfson, M., Glick, I.D., & Mechanic, D. (1993). Inpatient treatment of schizophrenia in general hospitals.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 44, 40–44.
- Reed, S.K., Hennessy, K.D., Mitchell, O.S., & Babigian, H.M. (1994). A mental health capitation program: II. Cost-benefit analysis.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 45, 1097–1103.
- Rosenstein, M.J., Milazzo-Sayre, L.J., & Manderscheid, R.W. (1991). Characteristics of persons using specialty inpatient, outpatient, and partial care programs in 1986. In R.W. Manderscheid & M.A. Sonnenschein (Eds.),Mental health, United States, 1990 (DHHS Publication No. ADM 90-1708). Rockville, MD: National Institute of Mental Health.
- Sarkis, L., Dlugacz, D., & Wilner, M. (1987). A unique urban state hospital: Partial-hospital programs reduce full time bed occupancy.International Journal of Partial Hospitalization, 4, 157–165.
- Shore, M.F., & Cohen, M.D. (1990). The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation program on chronic mental illness: An overview.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 41, 1212–1216.
- Swift, R. (1986). Negotiating psychiatric hospitalizations within restrictive admissions criteria.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 37, 619–623.
- Thompson, J.W., Belcher, J.R., DeForge, B.R., Myers, C.F., & Rosenstein, M.J. (1993). Changing characteristics of schizophrenic patients admitted to state hospitals.Hospital & Community Psychiatry, 44, 231–235.
- Thompson, J.W., Burns, B.J., & Taube, C.A. (1988). The severely mentally ill in general hospital psychiatric units.General Hospital Psychiatry, 10, 1–9. CrossRef
- Selective criteria for transfer to community hospital inpatient mental health services
Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research
Volume 23, Issue 3 , pp 185-196
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Health Care Policy, and Aging Research, South Beach Psychiatric Center and Research Associate with the Rutgers University Institute for Health, USA