Current status of PCB toxicity to mink, and effect on their reproduction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Experiments were conducted from 1968 to 1974 to investigate reproductive complications and mortality in mink fed Great Lakes coho salmon and to ascertain the effects of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB's) on this fur bearer. The results of mink feeding trials indicated that coho salmon, as such, were not responsible for the loss of reproduction in the adult, or the kit mortality. Mink diets that contained other species of Great Lakes fish caused similar reproductive complications, but to a lesser degree.
Rancidity, mercury poisoning and chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticide contamination of the fish were all discounted as being responsible for the problem. The clinical signs and lesions noted in mink that died while receiving diets that contained Lake Michigan coho salmon were very similar to those observed in mink fed on rations that contained supplemental PCB's. These included anorexia, bloody stools, fatty liver, kidney degeneration, and hemorrhagic gastric ulcers. Analyses of tissues from mink that died when fed 30% Lake Michigan coho salmon or 30 ppm supplemental PCB diets showed similar PCB residues.
PCB toxicity experiments revealed that mink are very sensitive to these compounds and that the lethal dose varied inversely with the chlorine content of the PCB's although only Aroclor 1254 exerted a detrimental effect on reproduction when fed at a low level (2 ppm) for 8 months. The reproductive failure encountered in feeding mink Lake Michigan coho salmon and Aroclor 1254 was shown to be of a non-permanent nature.
- Albros, P. W., Fishbein, P. (1972) Intestinal absorption of polychlorinated biphenyls in rats. Bul. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 8: pp. 26
- Allen, J. R., Abrahamson, L. J. (1973) Morphological and biochemical changes in the liver of rats fed polychlorinated biphenyls. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 1: pp. 265
- Allen, J. R., Carstens, L. A., Barsotti, D. A. (1974) Residual effects of short-term, low-level exposure of nonhuman primates to polychlorinated biphenyls. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 30: pp. 440
- Allen, J. R., Norback, D. H., Hsu, I. C. (1974) Tissue modifications in monkeys as related to absorption, distribution, and excretion of polychlorinated biphenyls. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 2: pp. 86
- Armour, J. A., Burke, J. A. (1970) A method for separating polychlorinated biphenyls from DDT and its analogs. J. Ass. Offic. Anal. Chem. 53: pp. 761
- Aulerich, R. J., Ringer, R. K. (1970) Some effects of chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides on mink. Amer. Fur Breeder 43: pp. 10
- Aulerich, R. J., Ringer, R. K., Seagran, H. L., Youatt, W. G. (1971) Effect of feeding coho salmon and other Great Lakes fish on mink reproduction. Can. J. Zool. 49: pp. 611
- Aulerich, R. J., Ringer, R. K., Iwamoto, S. (1973) Reproductive failure and mortality in mink fed on Great Lakes fish. J. Reprod. Fert. Suppl. 19: pp. 365
- Benthe, H. F., Schmoldt, A., Schmidt, H. (1972) Induktion Mikrosomaler Leberenzyme nach eimaliger gabe van Polychlorierten Biphenylen (PCB) und anschliebender stress-situation. Arch. Toxicol. 29: pp. 97
- Berlin, M. (1970) PCB-effect on mammals. Proc. PCB-Conference. Wenner-Gren Center, Stockholm, Sweden
- Cecil, H. C., Harris, S. J., Bitman, J., Fries, G. F. (1973) Polychlorinated biphenyl-induced decrease in liver vitamin A in Japanese quail and rats. Bul. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 9: pp. 179
- Cecil, H. C., Bitman, J., Lillie, R. J., Fries, G. F. (1974) Embryotoxic and teratogenic effects in unhatched fertile eggs from hens fed polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB's). Bul. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 11: pp. 489
- Curley, A., Burse, V. W., Grim, M. E., Jennings, R. W., Linder, R. E. (1971) Polychlorinated biphenyls: Distribution and storage in body fluids and tissues of Sherman rats. Environ. Res. 4: pp. 481
- Dahlgren, R. B., Bury, R. J., Linder, R. L., Reidinger, R. F. (1972) Residue levels and histopathology in pheasants given polychlorinated biphenyls. J. Wildl. Mangt. 36: pp. 524
- Goldstein, J. A., Hickman, P., Burse, V. W., Bergman, H. (1975) A comparative study of two polychlorinated biphenyl mixtures (Aroclor 1242 and 1016) containing 42% chlorine on induction of hepatic porhyria and drug metabolizing enzymes. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 32: pp. 461
- Grant, D. L., Phillips, W. E. J., Villeneuve, D. C. (1971) Metabolism of a polychlorinated biphenyl (Aroclor 1254) mixture in the rat. Bul. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 6: pp. 102
- Grant, D. L., Villeneuve, D. C., McCully, K. A., Phillips, W. E. J. (1971) Placental transfer of polychlorinated biphenyl in the rabbit. Environ. Physiol. 1: pp. 61
- Grant, D. L., Phillips, W. E. J. (1974) The effect of age and sex on the toxicity of Aroclor 1254, a polychlorinated biphenyl, in the rat. Bul. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 12: pp. 145
- Hansen, L. G., Byerly, C. S., Metcalf, R. L., Bevill, R. F. (1975) Effect of a polychlorinated biphenyl mixture on swine reproduction and tissue residue. Amer. J. Vet. Res. 36: pp. 23
- Hartsough, G. R. (1965) Great Lakes fish now suspect as mink food. Amer. Fur Breeder 38: pp. 25
- Heath, R. G., J. W. Spann, J. F. Kreitzer, and C. Vance: Effects of polychlorinated biphenyls on birds. Proc. XV Int. Orn. Congr. The Hague, Netherlands, 20 pp. Aug. (1970).
- Iturri, S. J. (1974) The effects of various chlorinated hydrocarbons on the cardiovascular physiology and hematology of the domestic fowl. Department of Poultry Science, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- Iwamoto, S. (1973) The effects of polychlorinated biphenyls and coho salmon on mink. Dept. of Poultry Sci., Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- Jensen, S., A. G. Johnels, T. Odsjo, M. Olsson, and G. Otterlind: PCB-occurrence in Swedish wildlife. Proc. PCB Conference Wenner-Gren Center, Stockholm, Sweden pp. 30–42 Sept. 29 (1970).
- Kimbrough, R. D.: Proc. Interagency Meeting of Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCB's).U.S. Dept. Health, Education, and Welfare, 111 pp. Aug. 5 (1971).
- Koller, L. D., Zinkl, J. G. (1973) Pathology of polychlorinated biphenyls in rabbits. Amer. J. Pathol. 70: pp. 363
- Lincer, J. L., Peakall, D. B. (1970) Metabolic effects of PCB in the American kestrel. Nature 228: pp. 783
- Nishizumi, M. (1970) Light and electron microscope study of chlorobiphenyl poisoning. Arch. Environ. Hlth 21: pp. 620
- Nowicki, H. G., Norman, A. W. (1972) Enhanced hepatic metabolism of testosterone, 4-androstene-3, 17-dione, and estradiol-17B in chicken pretreated with DDT or PCB. Steroids 19: pp. 85
- Orberg, J., Lundberg, C. (1974) Some effects of DDT and PCB on the hormonal system in the male mouse. Environ. Physiol. Biochem. 4: pp. 116
- Peakall, D. B. (1967) Pesticide-induces enzyme breakdown of steroids in birds. Nature 216: pp. 505
- Platonow, N. S., Funnell, H. S. (1971) Anti-androgenic-like effect of polychlorinated biphenyls in cockerels. Vet. Rec. 88: pp. 109
- Platonow, N. S., Funnell, H. S. (1972) The distribution and some effects of polychlorinated biphenyls (Aroclor 1254) in cockerels during prolonged feeding trials. Can. J. Comp. Med. 36: pp. 89
- Platonow, N. S., and N. Y. Chen: Transplacental transfer of polychlorinated biphenyl (Aroclor 1254) in a cow. Vet. Rec. p. 69 Jan. 20 (1973).
- Platonow, N. S., Karstad, L. H. (1973) Dietary effects of polychlorinated biphenyls on mink. Canad. J. Comp. Med. 37: pp. 391
- Prestt, I., Jefferies, D. J., Moore, N. W. (1970) Polychlorinated biphenyls in wild birds in Britain and their avian toxicity. Environ. Pollut. 1: pp. 3
- Ringer, R. K., Aulerich, R. J., Zabik, M. (1972) Effect of dietary polychlorinated biphenyls on growth and reproduction of mink. Amer. Chem. Soc. 12: pp. 28-31
- Risebrough, R. W., Reiche, P., Peakall, D. B., Herman, S. G., Kirven, M. N. (1968) Polychlorinated biphenyls in the global ecosystem. Nature 220: pp. 1098
- Risebrough, R. W., Brodine, V. (1970) More letters in the wind. Environment 12: pp. 16
- Schaible, P. J. (1970) Nutrition and feeding, Sect. III. The Blue Book of Fur Farming. Editorial Service Co., Milwaukee, WI
- Tucker, R. K., and D. C. Crabtree: Handbook of toxicity of pesticides to wildlife.U.S. Dept. of Interior, Bur. Sport Fisheries and Wildlife. Res. Publication No. 84 (1970).
- Villeneuve, D. C., Grant, D. L., Phillips, W. E. J., Clark, M. L., Clegg, D. J. (1971) Effects of PCB administration on microsomal enzyme activity in pregnant rabbits. Bul. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 6: pp. 120
- Villeneuve, D. C., Grant, D. L., Khera, K., Clegg, D. J., Baer, H., Phillips, W. E. J. (1971) The fetotoxicity of a polychlorinated biphenyl mixture (Aroclor 1254) in the rabbit and in the rat. Environ. Physiol. 1: pp. 67
- Weigel, W. W., Smith, C. (1974) Metabolism of a polychlorinated biphenyl (Aroclor 1016) in rats. Fed. Proc. (Abstr.) 33: pp. 499
- Current status of PCB toxicity to mink, and effect on their reproduction
Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 279-292
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors