The impact of managed care on community mental health outpatient services in new york state
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article explores the impact of managed care on community mental health outpatient services in New York State. A survey was sent to directors of all the licensed mental health organizations to obtain information about staff composition, services provided, training, funding, managed care affiliations, and advertising. The survey focus was on changes that had taken place in the past 4 years and those anticipated in the future due to managed care. Results indicate that managed care has led to changes in the aforementioned areas and that these changes varied by agency size, region, and type.
- Alperin, R. N., & Phillips, D. G. (1997).The impact of managed care on the practice of psychotherapy: Innovation implementation and controversy. New York: Brunner/Mazel.
- Austad, C. S., & Berman, W. H. (1991).Psychotherapy in managed mental health care: The optimal use of time and resources. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Baler, S. (1994). Community mental health in the year 2001: Is there a place for CMHCs?Administration and Policy in Mental Health, 21, 325–333.
- Boodman, S. G. (1997, May 6). Managed care comes to mental health. Are patients getting what they need?The Washington Post, p. 12.
- Cuffel, B. J., Snowden, L., Masland, M., & Piccagli, G. (1994).Managed mental health care in the public sector. Berkeley, CA: Institute for Mental Health Services.
- Dangerfield, D., & Betit, R. L. (1993). Managed mental health care in the public sector. In W. Goldman & S. Feldman (Eds.),Managed mental health care, Vol. 59. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
- Dowell, D. A., & Ciarlo, J. A. (1989). An evaluative overview of the community mental health centers program. In D. A. Rochefort (Ed.),Handbook on mental health policy in the United States. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Eaddy, M. L. (1992). The private community mental health organization.Innovations in Community Mental Health. Sarasota, FL: Professional Resources Press.
- Eaton, L. (1996, April 2). Aetna to buy U. S. Healthcare in big move to managed care.New York Times, pp. Al, D8.
- Jerrell, J. M., & Jerrell, S. L. (1989). Administrative and service provision issues. In D. A. Rochefort (Ed.),Handbook on mental health policy in the United Stales. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Lewin, T. (1996, May 22). Questions of privacy roil arena of psychotherapy.New York Times, pp. Al, D20.
- New York Stale Office of Mental Health. (1993).Medicaid managed care: A guide for mental health providers in New York State. Albany, NY. Author.
- New York State Office of Mental Health. (1996).Operation of outpatient programs: Part 587. Albany, NY: Author.
- Ray, C., & Oss, M. (1993). Community mental health and managed care. In W. Goldman & S. Feldman (Eds.),Managed mental health care, Vol. 59 (pp 89–98). San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
- Winegar, N. (1992).The clinician's guide to managed mental health care. New York: Haworth Press.
- Winegar, N., & Bistline, J. (1994).Marketing mental health services to managed care. New York: Haworth Press.
- The impact of managed care on community mental health outpatient services in new york state
Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research
Volume 24, Issue 6 , pp 509-521
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links