Spontaneous activation of heat shock protein gene transcription in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of individuals with active systemic lupus erythematosus
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the present study, we show the spontaneous elevation of the transcription of heat shock protein (hsp 70) gene in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) of individuals with active systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) by nuclear run-on transcription assay. For quantification analysis of hsp 70 gene transcription, we first found more than ten times of the enhanced transcription of hsp 70 gene in PBMC of individuals with active SLE, as compared to normal healthy subjects or patients with bronchial asthma as controls. Our observation suggests that heat shock proteins may be produced during an active immune response in individuals with active systemic lupus erythematosus and is involved in lupus-related change of possible essential function in PBMC.
- Jiminez, S.A. Cellular immune dysfunction and the pathogenesis of scleroderma. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1983, 13, 104–120. CrossRef
- Hichey, E.D., Weber, L.A. Modulation of heat shock polypeptide synthesis in Hela cells during hyperthemia and recovery. Biochemistry 1982, 21, 1513–1521. CrossRef
- Morange, M., Din, A., Bensude, O., Babinet, C. Altered expression of heat shock proteins in embryonal carcinoma and mouse early embryonic cells. Mol Cell Biol 1984, 4, 730–735.
- Schlesinger, M.J., Aliperti, G., Kelly, P.M. The response of cells to heat shock. Trends Biochem Sci 1982, 7, 222–225. CrossRef
- Currie, R.W., White, F.P. Trauma-induced protein in rat tissues. Science 1981, 214, 72–73.
- Lindquist, S. The heat shock response. Ann Rev Biochem 1986, 55, 1151–1191. CrossRef
- Lindquist, S., Craig, E.A. The heat shock response. Ann Rev Genet 1988, 22, 631–677. CrossRef
- Tan, E.M., Cohen, A.S., Fries, J.F. et al. The 1982 revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 1982, 25, 1271–1277.
- Marzluff, W.F., Huang, R.C.C. Transcription and Translation; a Practical Approach. Oxford, I.R.L. Press, 1984, pp. 89–130.
- Reed, J.C., Tsujimoto, Y., Alpers, J.D., Croce, C.M., Nowell, P.C. Regulation of bcl-2 protooncogene expression during normal human lymphocyte proliferation. Science 1987, 236, 1295–1299.
- Schlesinger, M.J. Heat shock proteins: The search for functions. J Cell Biol 1986, 103, 321–325. CrossRef
- Anathan, J., Goldberg, A.L., Voellmy, R. Abnormal proteins serve as eukaryotic stress signals and trigger the activation of heat shock genes. Science 1988, 232, 522–524.
- Lindquist, S. Varying pattern of protein synthesis in Drosophila during heat shock. Dev Biol 1980, 77, 463–479. CrossRef
- Pelham, H.R.B. A regulatory upstream promoter element in the Drosophila hsp 70 heat shock gene. Cell 1982, 30, 517–528. CrossRef
- Parker, C.S., Topol, J. A drosophila RNA polymerase II transcription factor binds to the regulatory site of an hsp 70 gene. Cell 1984, 37, 273–283. CrossRef
- Kingston, R.E., Baldwin, A.S., Sharp, P.A. Regulation of heat shock protein 70 gene expression by c-myc. Nature 1984, 315, 280–282. CrossRef
- Granelli-Piperno, A., Andrus, L., Steinman, R.M. Lymphokine and nonlymphokine mRNA levels in stimulated human T cells. J Exp Med 1986, 163, 922–937. CrossRef
- Kubo, T., Towele, C.A., Markin, H.J., Treadwell, B.V. Stress-induced proteins in chondrocytes from patients with osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1985, 28, 1140–1145.
- Deguchi, Y., Negoro, S., Kishimoto, S. Heat shock protein synthesis in peripheral blood mononuclear cells from patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 1987, 148, 1063–1068. CrossRef
- Spontaneous activation of heat shock protein gene transcription in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of individuals with active systemic lupus erythematosus
Volume 9, Issue 2 , pp 182-185
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Heat Shock Protein
- Gene Transcription
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Industry Sectors