State-dependent routing on symmetric loss networks with trunk reservations. II: Asymptotics, optimal design
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We investigate a distributed, state-dependent, dynamic routing strategy for circuit-switched loss networks which we have called Aggregated-Least-Busy-Alternative (ALBA). The networks considered are symmetric and fully connected, the offered calls form Poisson streams and routes have at most two links. In ALBA(K), the states of each link are lumped intoK (K ≥ 2) aggregates and the route of each call is determined by local information on the aggregate-states of the links of the alternate routes. The last aggregate is always the set of states reserved for direct traffic and defined by the trunk reservation parameter. The particular case of ALBA in which there is no aggregation is Least-Busy-Alternative (LBA); ALBA(2) represents the other extreme of aggregation. We consider two separate asymptotic scalings based on Fixed Point Models for ALBA(K) which were obtained and investigated in an earlier paper. In the first, it is assumed that the number of network nodes, the offered traffic and trunk group size are all large; their ratios have been chosen to reflect practical interest. The results show that there exists a threshold which delineates fundamentally different behavior: for offered traffic below the threshold, the network loss probability decreases exponentially with increasing network size, while above the threshold the decrease is only polynomial. In the related second asymptotic scaling, the asymptotically optimum trunk reservation parameter is obtained as the solution of a simple equation. Such asymptotically optimal designs are compared to the outputs of exhaustive numerical searches for some realistically sized networks and found to perform very well.
- M. Abramowitz and J.A. Stegun (eds.),Handbook of Mathematical Functions (Dover, New York, 1970), ch. 19.
- J.M. Akinpelu, The overload performance of engineered networks with nonhierarchical and hierarchical routing, AT&T Bell Labs. Tech. J. 63(1984)1261–1281.
- G.R. Ash, R.H. Cardwell and R.P. Murray, Design and optimization of networks with dynamic routing, Bell. Syst. Tech. J. 60(1981)1787–1820.
- G.R. Ash, A.H. Kafker and K.R. Krishnan, Servicing and real-time control of networks with dynamic routing, Bell Syst. Tech. J. 60(1981)1821–1845.
- G.R. Ash, Use of a trunk status map for real-time DNHR,ITC 11, Kyoto (1985).
- G.R. Ash, J.-S. Chen, A.E. Frey and B.D. Huang, Real-time network routing in an integrated network,ITC 13, Copenhagen, ed. A. Jensen and V.B. Iverson (Elsevier, 1991), pp. 187–194.
- W.H. Cameron, J. Regnier, P. Galloy and A.M. Savoie, Dynamic routing for intercity telephone networks,ITC 10, Montreal (1983), Paper 3.2-3.
- F. Caron, Results of the Telecom Canada high performance routing trial,ITC 12, Torino (1988), Paper 2.2A.2.
- A. Girard, Blocking probability of noninteger groups with trunk reservation. IEEE Trans. Commun. COM-33(1985)113–120. CrossRef
- R.J. Gibbens, Dynamic routing in circuit-switched networks: The dynamic alternative routing strategy, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Cambridge (1988).
- R.J. Gibbens, F.P. Kelly and P.B. Key, Dynamic alternative routing — modelling and behavior,ITC 12, Torino (1988), Paper 3.4A.3.
- A. Girard and M.-A. Bell, Blocking evaluation for networks with residual capacity adaptive routing, IEEE Trans. Commun. COM-37(1989)1372–1380. CrossRef
- R.J. Gibbens and F.P. Kelly, Dynamic routing in fully connected networks, IMA J. Math. Control Info. 7(1990)77–111.
- P.J. Hunt and F.P. Kelly, On critically loaded loss networks, Adv. Appl. Prob., to appear.
- D.L. Jagerman, Some properties of the Erlang loss function, Bell Syst. Tech. J. 53(1974)525–557.
- S. Katz, Statistical performance analysis of a switched communication network,ITC 5, New York (1967), pp. 566–575.
- F.P. Kelly, Blocking probabilities in large circuit-switched networks, Adv. Appl. Prob. 18(1986)473–505.
- R.S. Krupp, Stabilization of alternate routing networks,Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Communications, Philadelphia (1982), Paper 31.2.
- K.R. Krishnan and T.J. Ott, Forward-looking routing: A new state-dependent routing scheme,ITC 12, Torino (1988), Paper 3.4A.4.
- V.G. Lazarev and S.M. Starobinets, The use of dynamic programming for optimization of control networks of commutation of channels, Eng. Cyber. 3(1977)107–116.
- P.M. Lin, B.J. Leon and C.R. Stewart, Analysis of circuit switched networks employing originating office control with spill, IEEE Trans. Commun. COM-26(1978)754–765. CrossRef
- V. Marbukh, An asymptotic study of a large fully connected communication network with reroutes, Problemy Peredachi Informatsii 3(1981)89–95.
- V. Marbukh, Study of a fully connected channel communication network with many nodes and circumventing routes, Automatika i Telemakhanika 12(1983)86–94.
- J. McKenna, D. Mitra and K.G. Ramakrishnan, A class of closed Markovian queueing networks: Integral representations, asymptotic expansions, generalizations, Bell. Syst. Tech. J. 60(1981)599–641.
- D. Mitra and A. Weiss, The transient behavior in Erlang's model for large trunk groups and various traffic conditions,ITC 12, Torino (1988), Paper 5.1B.4.
- D. Mitra, R.J. Gibbens and B.D. Huang, State-dependent routing on symmetric loss networks with trunk reservations, I. IEEE Trans. Commun., to appear.
- D. Mitra, Optimal design of windows for high speed data networks,Proc. IEEE INFOCOM'90 (IEEE Computer Society Press, 1990), pp. 1156–1163.
- D. Mitra and I. Mitrani, Asymptotic optimality of the go-back-n protocol in high speed data networks with small buffers,Data Communication Systems, ed. G. Pujolle and R. Puigjaner,Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Data Communication Systems and Their Performance, IFIP, Barcelona (North-Holland, 1991), pp. 55–68.
- T.J. Ott and K.R. Krishnan, State-dependent routing of telephone traffic and the use of separable routing schemes,ITC 11, Kyoto (1985).
- M. Pioro, Design methods for non-hierarchical circuit switched networks with advanced routing, Wydawnictwa Politechniki Warszawskicj, Warszawa (1989).
- M. Reiman, Asymptotically optimal trunk reservation for large trunk groups,Proc. 28th Conf. on Decision and Control, IEEE, Tampa (1989), pp. 2536–2541.
- W. Whitt, Heavy traffic approximations for service systems with blocking, AT&T Tech. J. 63(1984)689–708.
- W. Whitt, Blocking when service is required from several facilities simultaneously, AT&T Tech. J. 4(1985)1807–1856.
- E.W.M. Wong and T.-S. Yum, Maximum free circuit routing in circuit-switched networks,Proc. IEEE INFOCOM'90 (IEEE Computer Society Press, 1990), pp. 934–937.
- State-dependent routing on symmetric loss networks with trunk reservations. II: Asymptotics, optimal design
Annals of Operations Research
Volume 35, Issue 1 , pp 3-30
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Baltzer Science Publishers, Baarn/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors