Observations of the time-course of the inflammatory response of rectal mucosa to gliadin challenge in gluten-sensitive subjects
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Expression of endothelial adhesion molecules is a key factor in localizing inflammatory processes. We have evaluated the time-course expression of E-selectin, ICAM-1, and VCAM-1 in rectal mucosae from coeliac patients (CD) with T-lymphocyte sensitization to wheat (gliadin) protein. Ten treated, eight untreated CD patients and five disease controls underwent a dynamic 4 h rectal gluten challenge. Seven treated CD patients had a 24 h challenge to evaluate the time-course changes. Coeliac tissue significantly increased VCAM-1 expression [p<0.001 (untreated and treated CD)] and E-selectin [p=0.01 (untreated CD only)]-expression compared to controls but not ICAM-1. VCAM-1 continued to increase up to 24 h, while E-selectin decreased after 4 h. These findings relate to an 8 h rise in CD3 (+) lymphocytes [p<0.05 (treated)] and a 4 h rise in neutrophils (p<0.005). This approach permits a novel study of the inflammatory response to a known immunogen in human patients.
- M. N. Marsh,Gluten, Major Histocompatibility Complex, and the Small Intestine. Gastroenterology102, 330–354 (1992).
- D. E. Loft, M. N. Marsh, G. I. Sandle, P. T. Crowe, V. Garner, D. Gordon and R. Baker,Studies of Intestinal Lymphoid Tissue. XII. Epithelial Lymphocyte and Mucosal Responses to Rectal Gluten Challenge in Celiac Sprue. Gastroenterology97, 29–37 (1989).
- T. A. Springer,Adhesion receptors of the immune system. Nature346, 425–434 (1990).
- Y. Shimuzu, G. A. Van Seventer, K. J. Horgan, S. Shaw,Roles of adhesion molecules in T-cell recognition: Fundamental similarities between four integrins on resting human T cells (LFA-1, VLA-4, VLA-5, VLA-6) in expression, binding, and costimulation. Immunological Reviews114, 109–137 (1990).
- C. J. Smart, A. Calabrese, D. J. Oakes, P. D. Howdle and L. K. Trejdosiewicz,Expression of the LFA-1 β2 integrin (CD11a/CD18) and ICAM-1 (CD54) in normal and coeliac small bowel mucosa. Scandinavian Journal of Immunology34, 299–305 (1991).
- J. Norton, J. P. Sloane, N. Al-Saffar and D. O. Haskard,Expression of adhesion molecules in human intestinal graftversus-host disease. Clinical Experimental Immunology85, 109–113 (1991).
- J. Spencer, P. G. Isaacson, T. T. MacDonald, A. J. Thomas and J. A. Walker-Smith,Gamma/delta T cells and the diagnosis of coeliac disease. Clinical Experimental Immunology85, 109–113 (1991).
- R. P. Sturgess, J. C. Macartney, M. W. Makgoba, C. H. Hung, D. O. Haskard and P. J. Ciclitira,Differential upregulation of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 in coeliac disease. Clinical Experimental Immunology82, 489–492 (1990).
- Observations of the time-course of the inflammatory response of rectal mucosa to gliadin challenge in gluten-sensitive subjects
Agents and Actions
Volume 38, Issue 2 Supplement, pp C47-C50
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University Department of Medicine, University of Manchester School of Medicine, Hope Hospital, Clinical Sciences Building, Eccles Old Road, M6 8HD, Salford, Manchester, UK
- 2. University Department of Cellular Immunology, University of Manchester School of Medicine, Hope Hospital, Clinical Sciences Building, Eccles Old Road, M6 8HD, Salford, Manchester, UK