The use of geophysical images in subsurface investigations of the Solway Basin, England
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper focuses on the use of low-cost geophysical data sets in raster format for structural analysis of a small onshore basin in NW England. Gravity and aeromagnetic data are expressed as images enhanced by a variety of image-processing methods, aimed at expressing the data in a form most readily appreciated by human vision. This involves side-illumination of the data using directional first derivative filters, and pseudo-colouring based on look-up table techniques. The principal data handling method was trend-surface analysis and calculation ofnth-order residual images. Most of the known structural attributes of the basin are resolved, together with previously unknown features affecting the basin's deep architecture.
- Aarnisalo, J.: 1984, ‘Image Processing and Integration of Geophysical, Landsat and other Data as a Tool for Mineral Exploration in Glaciated Precambrian Terrain’,Proceedings of the International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment. 3rd Thematic Conference. Remote Sensing for Exploration Geology, ERIM, Ann Arbor, pp. 107–28.
- Barrett, P. A. (1988) Early Carboniferous of the Solway Basin: A Tectonostratigraphic Model and its Bearing on Hydrocarbon Potential. Marine and Petroleum Geology 5: pp. 271-281 CrossRef
- Day, J. B. W.: 1970, ‘Geology of the Country around Bewcastle’,Memoir of the Geological Survey of Great Britain.
- Drury, S. A. (1986) Remote Sensing of Structure in Temperate Agricultural Terrains. Geological Magazine 123: pp. 113-21
- Drury, S. A. (1987) Image Interpretation in Geology. Allen and Unwin, London
- Drury, S. A., Walker, A. S. D. (1987) Display and Enhancement of Gridded Aeromagnetic Data of the Solway Basin. International Journal of Remote Sensing 8: pp. 1433-44
- Gibbs, A.: in press, ‘Extensional Styles and their Seismic Expression’, in Tankard and Backwill (eds.),Extensional Tectonics and Stratigraphy of the North Atlantic Margin, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Memoir.
- Guinness, E. A., Arvidson, R. E., Leff, C. E., Edwards, M. H., Bindschadler, D. L. (1983) Digital Image Processing Applied to Analysis of Geophysical and Geochemical Data for Southern Missouri. Economic Geology 78: pp. 654-63
- Kimbell, G. S., Chadwick, R. A., Holliday, D. W., Werngren, O. C. (1989) The Structure and Evolution of the Northumberland Trough from new Seismic Reflection Data and its Bearing on Modes of Continental Extension. Journal of the Geological Society of London 146: pp. 775-787
- O'Sullivan, K. N.: 1986, ‘Computer Enhancement of Landsat, Magnetic and other Regional Data’, in D. A. Berkman (ed.),Publications of 13 CMMI Congress, Singapore. Volume 2: Geology and Exploration. pp. 1–10.
- Robson, D. A. (ed.): 1981,The Geology of North East England, Special Pulication of the Natural History Society of Northumbria, Newcastle upon Tyne, pp. 113.
- Tucker, D. H., Anfiloff, V., Luyendyk, A. (1985) New Large Area Standard Format Magnetic Pixel Maps of Australia. Exploration Geophysics 16: pp. 294-9
- The use of geophysical images in subsurface investigations of the Solway Basin, England
Surveys in Geophysics
Volume 12, Issue 6 , pp 565-581
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links