Quality of life in alternative residential settings
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Central to policy revisions over the past forty years toward persons with psychiatric disabilities has been a change in where they live. Whereas forty years ago those patients needing assistance were generally housed in large public mental hospitals, today a myriad of alternative community housing settings are offered. A major impetus for this shift in housing, at least as currently articulated in most public forums, has been to improve their quality of life. Here we examine the quality of life experiences of psychiatrically disabled persons living in alternative settings: a state hospital, large residential care facilities, small group homes, and supervised apartments. Our central hypothesis, only partly supported, is that a quality of life gradient exists across these living settings. The results lend support to the value of quality of life assessments and point to the importance of more focused notions about how our various interventions may affect the persons whom we serve.
- Carling, PJ, & Ridgway, PA: Overview of a psychiatric rehabilitation approach to housing, in Psychiatric Rehabilitation: Turning Theory into Practice. Edited by Anthony, WA, Farkas, MA. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1988.
- Aiken, L, Somers, S, & Shore, M: Private foundations in health affairs: a case study of the development of a national initiative for the chronically mentally ill. American Psychologist 41: 1290–1295, 1987.
- Goldman, HH, Lehman, AF, Morrissey, JP et al: Design for the National Evaluation of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Program on Chronic Mental Illness. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 41:1217–1221, 1990.
- Braun, P, Kochansky, G, Shapiro, R, et al: Overview: Deinstitutionalization of psychiatric patients, a critical review of outcome studies. American Journal of Psychiatry, 138: 736–749, 1981.
- Keisler, CA: Mental hospitals and alternative care: Noninstitutionalization as a potential public policy for mental patients, American Psychologist 37: 349–360, 1982.
- National Institute of Mental Health: National Plan of Research to Improve Care for Severe Mental Disorders. Draft 3/21/90.
- Lehman, AF, Ward, NC, & Linn, LS: Chronic mental patients: The quality of life issue. American Journal of Psychiatry 139: 1271–1276, 1982.
- Lehman, AF, Possidente, S, & Hawker, F: The quality of life of chronic patients in a state hospital and in community residences. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 37: 901–907, 1986.
- Lehman, AF, Slaughter, JG & Myers, CP: Quality of life experiences of the chronically mentally ill: gender and stages of life effects. In press.
- Lehman, AF: The effects of psychiatric symptoms on quality of life assessments among the chronic mentally ill. Evaluation and Program Planning 6: 143–151, 1983.
- Lehman, AF: A quality of life interview for the chronically mentally ill. Evaluation and Program Planning 11: 51–52, 1988.
- Andrews, FM, & Withey, SB: Social Indicators of Well-Being: America's Perception of Life Quality, New York, Plenum Press, 1976.
- Endicott, J, & Spitzer R: A diagnostic interview: the Schedule for Affective Disorders and Schizophrenia. Archives of General Psychiatry, 35: 837–844, 1978.
- Ware, JE, Johnston, SA, Davies-Avery, A et al: Conceptualization and measurement of health for adults in the health insurance study, vol 3, Santa Monica, Rand Corporation, 1979.
- Allen, MJ & Yen, WM: Introduction to Measurement Theory, Belmont California, Wadsworth Inc.
- Simpsom, CJ, Hyde, CE, & Faragher, EB: The chronically mentally ill in community facilities: a study of quality of life. British Journal of Psychiatry, 154: 77–82, 1989.
- Hargreaves, WA & Shumway, M: Effectiveness of services for the severely mentally ill, in The Future of Mental Health Services Research. Edited by Taube, CA, Mechanic, D, & Hohmann, AA. National Institute of Mental Health, DHHS Pub. No. (ADM)89-1600. Washington, D.C.: Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Office.
- Lehman, AF: Assessing Outcomes for the Severely Mentally Ill. Presented at the Association for Health Services Research Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., 1990.
- U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Bureau of the Census. Current Housing Reports. Series H-150-(1989). General Housing Characteristics for the U.S. and regions: 1987. Annual Housing Survey: 1987. Washington, D.C., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.
- Lemke, S & Moos, RH: The suprapersonal environments of sheltered care settings. Journal of Gerontology 2: 233–243, 1980.
- Ridgway, P & Zipple, AM: The paradigm shift in residential services: from linear continuum to supported housing approaches. Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal, 13: 11–31.
- Quality of life in alternative residential settings
Volume 62, Issue 1 , pp 35-49
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links