Terminating general recursion
- Bengt Nordström
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In Martin-Löf's type theory, general recursion is not available. The only iterating constructs are primitive recursion over natural numbers and other inductive sets. The paper describes a way to allow a general recursion operator in type theory (extended with propositions). A proof rule for the new operator is presented. The addition of the new operator will not destroy the property that all well-typed programs terminate. An advantage of the new program construct is that it is possible to separate the termination proof of the program from the proof of other properties.
- Peter Aczel. An introduction to inductive definitions. In J. Barwise, editor,Handbook of Mathematical Logic, pages 739-, North-Holland Publishing Company, 1977.
- R. L. Constable and et. al.Implementing Mathematics with the NuPRL Proof Development System. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1986.
- Per Martin-Löf. Constructive mathematics and computer programming. InLogic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, VI, 1979, pages 153–175, North-Holland, 1982.
- Per Martin-Löf.Intuitionistic Type Theory. Bibliopolis, Napoli, 1984.
- Bengt Nordström and Kent Petersson.The Semantics of Module Specifications in Martin-Löf's Type Theory. PMG Report 36, Chalmers University of Technology, S-412 96 Göteborg, 1987.
- Bengt Nordström and Kent Petersson. Types and specifications. In R. E. A. Mason, editor,Proceedings of IFIP 83, pages 915–920, Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, October 1983.
- Bengt Nordström and Jan Smith. Propositions, types and specifications in Martin-Löf's type theory.BIT, 24(3):288–301, October 1984.
- Lawrence C. Paulson. Constructing recursion operators in intuitionistic type theory.Journal of Symbolic Computation, (2):325–355, 1986.
- Lawrence C. Paulson.Natural Deduction Proof as Higher-Order Resolution. Technical report 82, University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory, Cambridge, 1985.
- Kent Petersson.A Programming System for Type Theory. PMG report 9, Chalmers University of Technology, S-412 96 Göteborg, 1982, 1984.
- E. Saaman and G. Malcolm.Well-founded Recursion in Type theory. Technical Report, Subfaculteit Wiskunde en Informatica, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, Netherlands, 1987.
- Jan M. Smith. The identification of propositions and types in Martin-Löf's type theory. InFoundations of Computation Theory, Proceedings of the Conference, pages 445–456, 1983.
- Terminating general recursion
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 28, Issue 3 , pp 605-619
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- well-founded induction
- programming logic
- fixed point
- termination proof
- Industry Sectors
- Bengt Nordström (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computer Science, Chalmers University of Technology and the University of Göteborg, S-41296, Göteborg, Sweden