Metabolic biochemistry and the making of a mesopelagic mammal
- P. W. Hochachka
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Large seals such as northern and southern elephant seals and Weddell seals are able to dive for startling duration and enormous depth. The current dive duration record is 120 minutes (recorded for the southern elephant seal); the current depth record is 1.5 km (recorded for the northern elephant seal). Equally striking is the widespread observation that these seals when at sea spend close to 90% of the time submerged and often at great depth. For practical purposes, these species can be viewed as true mesopelagic animals when they are at sea. A review of current knowledge indicates that low power output but high efficiency metabolic functions of skeletal muscles coupled with inherently low (and potentially further suppressible) metabolic rates constitute strategic biochemical components in the ‘making’ of a mesopelagic mammal.
- Arthur, P. G., Hogan, M. C., Bebout, D. E., Wagner, P. D., and Hochachka, P. W., Modelling effects of hypoxia on ATP turnover in exercising muscle. J. appl. Physiol. (1992) in press.
- Castellini, M. A., Kooyman, G. L., and Ponganis, P. J., Metabolic rates of freely diving Weddell seals: Correlations with oxygen stores, swim velocity, and diving duration. J. exp. Biol. (1992) in press.
- Chinet, A. (1990) Control or respiration in skeletal muscle at rest. Experientia 46: pp. 1194-1196
- Costa, D. P. (1988) Methods for studying the energetics of freely diving animals. Can. J. Zool. 66: pp. 45-52
- Davis, R. W. (1983) Lactate and glucose metabolism in the resting and diving harbor seal (Phoca vitulina). J. comp. Physiol. 153: pp. 275-288
- Delong, R. L., Stewart, B. S. (1991) Diving patterns of northern elephant seal bulls. Mar. Mammal Sci. 7: pp. 369-384
- Foreman, R. A. (1991) Enzymatic profiles of skeletal muscles from harbon wals (Phoca vitulina) and fin whales (Balaenoptera physalis). Univ. of British Columbia, Vancouver
- Gnaiger, E. (1992) Optimum efficiency of energy transformation and the evolution of catabolic pathways. Functional Ecol. 6: pp. 234-241
- Guppy, M., Hill, R. D., Schneider, R. C., Qvist, J., Liggins, G. C., Zapol, W. M., Hochachka, P. W. (1986) Microcomputer assisted metabolic studies of voluntary diving of Weddell seals. Am. J. Physiol. 250: pp. R175-R187
- Hance, A. J., Robin, E. D., Halter, N., Lewiston, D. A., Robin, L., Cornell, M., Caligiuri, M., Theodore, J. (1982) Hormonal changes and enforced diving in the harbor seal Phoca vitulina. II. Plasma catecholamines. Am. J. Physiol. 242: pp. R528-R532
- Hill, R. D., Schneider, R. C., Liggins, G. C., Schuette, A. H., Elliott, R. L., Guppy, M., Hochachka, P. W., Qvist, J., Falke, K. J., Zapol, W. M. (1987) Heart rate and body temperature during free diving of Weddell seals. Am. J. Physiol. 253: pp. R344-R351
- Hindell, M. A., Slip, D. J., and Burton, H. R., The diving behaviour of adult male and female southern elephant seals (Mirounga leonina) fromMacquarie Island. Austr. J. Zool. (1992) in press.
- Hindell, M. A., Slip, D. J., Burton, H. R., and Bryden, M. M., Physiological implications of continuous, prolonged and deep dives of the southern elephant seal (Mirounga leonina). Can. J. Zool. (1992) in press.
- Hochachka, P. W., Guppy, M. (1987) Metabolic Arrest and the Control of Biological Time. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- Hochachka, P. W., Somero, G. N. (1984) Biochemical Adaptation. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ
- Hochachka, P. W., Stanely, C., Matheson, G. O., McKenzie, D. C., Allen, P. S., Parkhouse, W. S. (1991) Metabolic and work efficiencies during exercise in Andean natives. J. appl. Physiol. 70: pp. 1720-1730
- Hochachka, P. W., Stanely, C., McKenzie, D. C., Villena, A., and Monge, C., Enzyme mechanisms for pyruvate-to-lactate flux attenuation: A study of Sherpas, Quechuas, and hummingbirds. Int. J. Sports Med. in press.
- Hogan, M. C., Arthur, P. G., Bebout, D. E., Hochachka, P. W., and Wagner, P. D., The role of oxygen in regulating tissue respiration in dog muscle working in situ. J. appl. Physiol. (1992) in press.
- Howald, H., Pette, D., Simoneau, J. A., Uber, A., Hoppler, H., Cerretelli, P. (1990) Effects of chronic hypoxia on muscle enzyme activities. Int. J. Sports Med. 11: pp. S10-S14
- Kooyman, G. L., Castellini, M. A., Davis, R. W. (1981) Physiology of diving in marine mammals. A. Rev. Physiol. 43: pp. 343-356 CrossRef
- Kooyman, G. L., Castellini, M. A., Davis, R. W., Maue, R. A. (1983) Aerobic diving limits of immature Weddell seals. Diving behaviour and physiology of Weddell seal. J. comp. Physiol. 151: pp. 171-174
- Lacombe, A. M. A., and Jones, D. R., Role of adrenal catecholamines during forced submergence in ducks. Am. J. Physiol.261 (1991) R000-R000.
- Lacombe, A. M. A., and Jones, D. R., Neural and humoral effects on hindlimb vascular resistance of ducks during forced submergence. Am. J. Physiol.261 (1991) R000-R000.
- Beouf, B. J., Costa, D. R., Huntley, A. C., Feldcamp, S. D. (1988) Continuous deep diving in female northern elephant seals, Mirounga angustris. Can. J. Zool. 66: pp. 446-458
- Beouf, B. J., Naito, Y., Huntley, A. C., Asaga, T. (1989) Prolonged continuous deep diving by northern elephant seals. Can. J. Zool. 67: pp. 2514-2519
- Matheson, G. O., Allen, P. S., Ellinger, D. C., Hanstock, C. C., Gheorghiu, D., McKenzie, D. C., Stanely, C., Parkhouse, W. S., Hochachka, P. W. (1991) Skeletal muscle metabolism and work capacity: A 31P-NMR-study of Andean natives and lowlanders. J. appl. Physiol. 70: pp. 1963-1976
- Qvist, J., Hill, R. D., Schneider, R. C., Falke, K. J., Guppy, M., Elliot, R. L., Hochachka, P. W., Zapol, W. M. (1986) Hemoglobin concentrations and blood gas tensions of free-diving Weddell seals. J. appl. Physiol. 61: pp. 1560-1569
- Scholander, P. F. (1962) Physiological adaptations to diving in animals and man. Harvey Lect. 57: pp. 93-110
- Wasserman, K., Beaver, W. L., Whipp, B. J. (1990) Gas exchange theory and the lactic acidosis (anaerobic) threshold. Circulation 81: pp. II-14-II-30
- Zapol, W. M., Liggins, G. C., Schneider, R. C., Qvist, J., Snider, M. T., Creasy, R. K., Hochachka, P. W. (1979) Regional blood flow during simulated diving in the conscious Weddell seal. J. appl. Physiol. 47: pp. 968-973
- Metabolic biochemistry and the making of a mesopelagic mammal
Volume 48, Issue 6 , pp 570-575
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Seal metabolism
- metabolic efficiency
- metabolic suppression
- seal muscle enzymes
- Industry Sectors
- P. W. Hochachka (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, 6270 University Boulevard, V6T 1Z4, Vancouver, B.C., Canada