AI Bridges and dreams
- Alan Bundy
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper is a modified version of my acceptance lecture for the 1986 SPL-Insight Award. It turned into something of a personal credo — describing my view of
the nature of AI
the potential social benefit of applied AI
the importance of basic AI research
the role of logic and the methodology of rational construction
the interplay of applied and basic AI research, and
the importance of funding basic AI.
These points are knitted together by an analogy between AI and structural engineering: in particular, between building expert systems and building bridges.
- Bundy, A., L. Byrd and C. Mellish (1982), ‘Special purpose, but domain independent inference mechanisms’,Proceedings of ECAI-82, 67–74, European Conference on Artificial Intelligence. Also available from Edinburgh as ‘DAI Research Paper No 179’. SubmittedElectro-Technology Journal.
- Bundy, A. (1983) The nature of AI: a reply to Schank. The AI Magazine 4: pp. 29-31
- Bundy, A. (1985), ‘Discovery and reasoning in mathematics’, A. Joshi (ed.),Proceedings of IJCAI-85, 1221–1230, International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence. Also available from Edinburgh as DAI Research Paper No 266.
- Mackay, S. (1985),Bridge Across the Century: The Story of the Forth Bridges, Moubray House Press.
- Silver, B. (1984), ‘Precondition analysis: learning control information’,Machine Learning 2, Tioga Publishing Company.
- Sterling, L., Bundy, A., Byrd, L., O'Keefe, R., Silver, B. (1982) Solving symbolic equations with press. Computer Algebra, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 144: pp. 109-116
- Uschold, M., N. Harding, R. Muetzelfeldt and A. Bundy (1984), ‘An intelligent front end for ecological modelling’, T. O'Shea (ed.),Proceedings of ECAI-84, 761–770. Available from Edinburgh as Research Paper 223.
- AI Bridges and dreams
AI & SOCIETY
Volume 1, Issue 1 , pp 62-71
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Alan Bundy (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Artificial Intelligence, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK