Limits to the universality of quantum mechanics
- Brian D. Josephson
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Niels Bohr's arguments indicating the non-applicability of quantum methodology to the study of the ultimate details of life, given in his bookAtomic Physics and Human Knowledge, conflict with the commonly held opposite view. The bases for the usual beliefs are examined and shown to have little validity; significant differences do exist between the living organism and the type of system studied successfully in the physics laboratory. Dealing with living organisms in quantum-mechanical terms with the same degree of rigor as is normal for non-living systems would seem not to be possible without considering also questions of the origins of life and of the universe.
- E. Schrödinger,What is Life; Mind and Matter (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1967), Chap. 3 ofMind and Matter.
- D. Bohm,Wholeness and the Implicate Order (Routledge & Kegan Paul, London, Boston and Henley, 1980), Chap. 1.
- D. Bohm,Unfolding Meaning (Ark, London and New York, 1987), Chap. 3.
- N. Bohr,Atomic Physics and Human Knowledge (Wiley, New York, 1958), Chaps. 2 and 3.
- E. Wigner,Am. J. Phys. 31, 6–15 (1963); reprinted in J. A. Wheeler and W. H. Zurek, eds.,Quantum Theory and Measurement (Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1983), Sec. II.4).
- P. Dirac,The Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1958), Chap. 2.
- J. D. Barrow and F. J. Tipler,The Anthropic Cosmological Principle (Clarendon, Oxford, 1986).
- J. B. Hartle and S. Hawking,Phys. Rev. D28, 2960–75 (1983).
- R. Weber,Dialogues with Scientists and Sages (Routledge & Kegan Paul, London and New York, 1986), Chap. 11.
- C. N. Villars,Psychoenergetics,5, 129–39 (1983).
- H. P. Stapp,Found. Phys. 12, 363–99 (1982).
- M. Conrad, D. Home, and B. Josephson, inMicrophysical Reality and Quantum Formalism, A. van der Merwe, F. Selleri, and G. Tarozzi, eds. (Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, 1988).
- Limits to the universality of quantum mechanics
Foundations of Physics
Volume 18, Issue 12 , pp 1195-1204
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Cavendish Laboratory, Madingley Road, CB3 0HE, Cambridge, England