Soil conservation policy in the United States
- Frederick Steiner
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Soil conservation has been a matter of federal natural resource policy for over a half century in the United States. A variety of federal programs have been undertaken to encourage soil conservation. There are goals which are essential to these programs, and there are related ancillary programs with different goals which often have had an impact on the extent to which the central soil conservation objectives have been effectively implemented. This article analyzes four aspects of federal soil conservation goals and programs: the evolution of the constellation of soil conservation goals, the problems with goal implementation, implementation effectiveness, and the appropriateness of the implementation and administration of federal goals.
- American Farmland Trust. 1984. Soil conservation in America. Washington, DC, 133 pp.
- Arts, J. L., Church, W. L. (1982) Soil erosion: the next crisis?. Wisconsin Law Review 1982: pp. 535-626
- Batie, S. S. (1985) Soil conservation in the 1980s: a historical perspective. Agricultural History 59: pp. 107-123
- Braden, J. B., Uchtmann, D. L. (1982–1983) Soil conservation programs amidst faltering environment commitments and the “New Federalism.”. Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review 10: pp. 639-696
- Carlin, T., Green, B. (1986) Farm crisis and rural communities. Small Town and Rural Planning 6: pp. 1-2
- Clark, E. H., Haverkamp, J. A., Chapman, W. (1985) Eroding soils. The Conservation Foundation, Washington, DC
- Clean Water Act. 1982.US Code 33:1251–1376.
- Grove, J. M. (1984) Land, growth, and politics. APA Planners Press, Chicago, Illinois
- Ebenreck, S. (1985) Reagan proposes drastic conservation cuts. Small Town and Rural Planning 5: pp. 1
- Gray, R. J. (1986) Proving out: on implementing the conservation title of the 1985 Farm Bill. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 41: pp. 31-32
- Harnisch, T. W. (1984) Local government and land resource programs: authorities, challenges, and capabilities. University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- Harris, Louis, and Associates. 1980. Outline for press briefing on a survey of the public's attitudes toward soil, water, and renewable resources conservation policy. Washington, DC, 28 pp.
- Hiemstra, H., Bushwick, N. (1985) Congressional ag committees approve unprecedented conservation language. Farmland Notes 4: pp. 2
- Hinman, H., Engle, C. (1986) Conservation reserve program, the conservation component of the Food Security Act of 1985. Cooperative Extension, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
- Kramer, R. A., Batie, S. S. (1985) Cross compliance concepts in agricultural programs: the New Deal to the present. Agricultural History 59: pp. 307-319
- Lee, L. K. (1984) Land use and soil loss: a 1982 update. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 39: pp. 226-228
- Lovejoy, S. B., Napier, T. L. (1985) Conserving soil, insights from socioeconomic research: a synopsis. Soil Conservation Society of America, Ankeny, Iowa
- Lowry, K. (1985) Assessing the implementation of federal coastal policy. Journal of the American Planning Association 51: pp. 288-298
- Mazmanian, D. A., Sabatier, P. A. (1981) Effective policy implementation. Lexington Books, Lexington, Massachusetts
- Morgan, R. J. (1965) Governing soil conservation: thirty years of new decentralization. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, Maryland
- Mulford v.Smith, 307 US 38, 1939.
- Rasmussen, W. D., Baker, G. L. (1972) The Department of Agriculture. Praeger, New York
- Reichelderfer, K. H. (1985) Do USDA farm program participants contribute to soil erosion?. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC
- Schneider, K. 1986. As more family farms fail, hired managers take charge.New York Times, 17 March, A1 and B5.
- Soil Conservation Act. 1982.US Code 16:590(a).
- United States v.Butler, 297 US 1, 68, 1936.
- Act of Congress assures permanence to soil conservation program. Soil Conservation 1: pp. 3
- Report of the public's comments on the RCA draft documents, January–March 1980. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC
- A national program for soil and water conservation. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC
- Farm population of the United States, 1984. US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC
- To protect tomorrow's food supply, soil conservation needspriority attention. Comptroller General of the United States, Washington, DC
- Watershed Protection and Flood Prevention Act. 1982.US Code 16:1001–1009.
- Soil conservation policy in the United States
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 209-223
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Soil conservation
- Land-use planning
- Agricultural policy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Programs of Regional Planning and Landscape Architecture, Washington State University, 99164-6414, Pullman, Washington, USA