A birth weight for gestational age standard based on data in the Swedish Medical Birth Registry, 1985–1989
- Professor Bengt Källén
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Birth weight curves according to gestational length are presented based on data from more than 480,000 singleton births, registered in the Medical Birth Registry and with gestational age based on ultrasound examinations in the majority of cases. Curves were constructed from the most common weights in each week (modes) for each sex and standard deviations were estimated under the assumption of a fixed coefficient of variation, the size of which was estimated from 40 weeks infants. This methodology makes it possible to construct graphs for specific subgroups of infants: such graphs for boys and girls for primiparous and multiparous women are given in the paper.
- Engström L, Sterky G. Standardkurvor för vikt och l ängd hos nyfödda barn [Standard curves for weight and length in newborn infants]. Läkartidningen 1966; 63: 4922–4926.
- Sterky G. Swedish standard curves for intra-uterine growth. Pediatrics 1970; 46: 7–8.
- Niklasson A, Ericson E, Fryer JG, Karlberg J, Lawrence C, Karlberg P. An update of the Swedish reference standards for weight, length and head circumference at birth for given gestational age (1977–1981). Acta Paediatr Scand 1991; 80: 756–762.
- Eik-Ness SH, Persson P-H, Gröttum P. Revaluation of standards for human fetal growth [Dissertation]. Malmö: University of Lund, 1980: 103–113.
- Thomson AM, Billewics WZ, Hytten FE. The assessment of fetal growth. J Obstet Gynecol Br Cwlth 1968; 75: 903–916.
- Tanner JM, Thomson AM. Standards for birthweight and gestation periods from 32 to 42 weeks, allowing for maternal height and weight. Arch Dis Childh 1970; 45: 566–569.
- Gardosi J, Chang A, Kalyan B, Sahota D, Symonds EM. Customised antenatal growth charts. Lancet 1992 (i): 283–287.
- Cnattingius S, Ericson A, Gunnarskog J, Källén B. A quality study of a medical birth registry. Scand J Soc Med 1990; 18: 143–148.
- Carr-Hill RA, Pritchard CW. Reviewing birthweight standards. Br J Obst Gynaecol 1983; 90: 718–725.
- Person P-H, Weldner B-M. Intrauterine weight curves obtained by ultrasound. Acta Obstet Gynceol Scand 1986; 65: 169–173.
- A birth weight for gestational age standard based on data in the Swedish Medical Birth Registry, 1985–1989
European Journal of Epidemiology
Volume 11, Issue 5 , pp 601-606
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Birth weight
- Gestational duration
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Tornblad Institute, University of Lund, Lund, Sweden