Outcomes of severe hyperkalemia in cardiopulmonary resuscitation with concomitant hemodialysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To investigate the efficacy of hemodialysis during cardiopulmonary resuscitation as an effective adjunct to the treatment of severe hyperkalemia.
A prospective study.
In hospital dialysis units and intensive care units.
Renal failure patients who developed hyperkalemia induced cardiac arrest and failed to recover from conventional cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) were included. Three patients entered into this study: 2 patients with chronic renal failure maintained on regular hemodialysis and one with acute renal failure who suffered from severe hyperkalemia.
All three patients developed asystolic cardiac arrest with unrecordable blood pressure due to severe hyperkalemia. Aggressive CPR together with intravenous epinephrine, sodium bicarbonate and calcium chloride were instituted. External cardiac massage with cardiac defibrillation was unable to restore spontaneous heart action. After lack or response to intensive resuscitation, hemodialysis was performed concomitant with CPR to eliminate the potassium load.
Measurements and results
Sinus rhythm and blood pressure were restored in all 3 patients but one of them eventually succumbed to her underlying disease.
Hemodialysis during CPR is probably an effective adjunct to the treatment of severe hyperkalemia in patients with severe hemodynamic compromise and asystolic cardiac arrest.
- Tannen, RL Potassium disorders. In: Kokko, JP, Tannen, RL eds. (1986) Fluid and electrolytes. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp. 150-228
- Guercio, LRM, Feins, NR, Cohn, JD, Coomaraswarmy, RP, Wollman, SB, State, D (1965) Comparison of blood flow during external and internal cardiac massage in man. Circulation 31/32: pp. 1-171-I-180
- Rinke, CM (1986) Standards and guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiac care. Part II: Adult basic life support. JAMA 255: pp. 2915-2932
- Weale, FE, Rothwell-Jackson, RL (1962) The efficiency of cardiac massage. Lancet I: pp. 990-992
- Mackenzie, GJ, Taylor, SH, MacDonald, AH, Donald, KW (1964) Hemodynamic effects of external cardiac compression. Lancet I: pp. 1342-1345
- Niemann, JT (1992) Cardiopulmonary resuscitation. N Eng J Med 327: pp. 1075-1080
- Birch, LH, Kenney, LJ, Doornbos, F (1962) A study of external cardiac compression. J Mich State Med Soc 61: pp. 1346-1352
- Maier, GW, Tyson, GS, Olsen, Co (1980) The physiology of external cardiac massage: high impulse cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Circulation 70: pp. 86-101
- Taylor, GJ, Tucker, WM, Greene, HL, Rudikoff, MT, Weisfeldt, ML (1977) Importance of prolonged compression during cardiopulmonary resuscitation in man. N Engl J Med 296: pp. 1515-1517
- Rudikoff, MT, Maughan, WL, Effron, M, Freund, P, Weisfeldt, ML (1980) Mechanism of blood flow during cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Circulation 61: pp. 345-352
- Niemann, JT, Rosborough, JP, Hausknecht, M, Garner, D, Criley, JM (1981) Pressure-synchronized cineangiography during experimental cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Circulation 64: pp. 985-991
- Weisfeldt, ML, Chandra, N (1981) Physiology of cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Ann Rev Med 32: pp. 435-442
- Deshmukh, HG, Weil, MH, Gudipati, CV, Trevino, RP, Bisera, J, Rackow, EC (1989) Mechanism of blood flow generated by precordial compression during CPR. I. Studies on closed chest precordial compression. Chest 95: pp. 1092-1099
- Feneley, MP, Maier, GW, Gaynor, JW, Gall, SA, Kisslo, JA, Davis, JW, Rankin, JS (1987) Sequence of mitral valve motion and transmitral blood flow during manual cardiopulmonary resuscitation in dogs. Circulation 76: pp. 363-375
- Lin, JL, Huang, CC (1990) Successful initiation of hemodialysis during cardiopulmonary resuscitation due to lethal hyperkalemia. Crit Care Med 18: pp. 342-343
- Defronzo, RA, Bia, M, Smith, D (1982) Clinical disorders of hyperkalemia. Ann Rev Med 33: pp. 521-530
- Outcomes of severe hyperkalemia in cardiopulmonary resuscitation with concomitant hemodialysis
Intensive Care Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 287-290
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Industry Sectors