Prevalence and severity of vertebral fracture: The saunders county bone quality study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Vertebral fracture prevalence and severity were analyzed by sex and age in an age-stratified proportionate sample of the enumerated population of women and men 50 years of age and older in Saunders County, Nebraska. The sample consisted of 899 women and 529 men. Of these, all but 10 women and 2 men had readable lateral spine radiographs. For both sexes, fracture prevalence rises with age. Women in their fifties have 10% vertebral fracture prevalence, and women in their eighties, 45% prevalence. Men in their fifties have 29% prevalence, and men in their eighties, 39% prevalence. The rise in prevalence and total spinal deformity with age is much greater for women than for men, but the prevalence of vertebral deformity in the fifties is much greater in men than in women.
- Stegman MR, Heaney RP, Recker RR, et al. Velocity of ultrasound and its association with fracture history in a rural population. Am J Epidemiol 1994;139:1027–34.
- Stegman MR, Heaney RP, Recker RR. Comparison of speed of sound ultrasound with single photon absorptiometry to determine fracture odds ratios. J Bone Miner Res in press.
- Davies KM, Recker RR, Heaney RP. Revisable criteria for vertebral deformity. Osteoporosis Int 1993;3:265–70.
- Melton LJ III, Kan SH, Frye KM, et al. Epidemiology of vertebral fractures in women. Am J Epidemiol 1989;129:1000–11.
- Melton LJ III, Lane AW, Cooper C, et al. Prevalence and incidence of vertebral deformities. Osteoporosis Int 1993;3:113–9.
- Cooper C, Shah S, Hand DJ, et al. Screening for vertebral osteoporosis using individual risk factors. Osteoporosis Int 1992;2:48–53.
- Ross PD, Davis JW, Epstein RS, et al. Pre-existing fractures and bone mass predict vertebral fracture incidence in women. Ann Intern Med 1991;114:919–23.
- Spector TD, McCloskey EV, Doyle DV, et al. Prevalence of vertebral fracture in women and the relationship with bone density and symptoms: the Chingford study. J Bone Miner Res 1993;8:817–22.
- Nicholson PHF, Haddaway MJ, Davie MWJ, et al. Vertebral deformity, bone mineral density, back pain and height loss in unscreened women over 50 years. Osteoporosis Int 1993;3:300–7.
- Drinka PJ, Bauwens SF, DeSmet AA. Atraumatic vertebral deformities in elderly males. Calcif Tissue Int 1987;41:299–302
- Bernstein DS, Sadowsky N, Hegsted DM, et al. Prevalence of osteoporosis in high- and low-fluoride areas in North Dakota. JAMA 1966;198:85–90.
- Mann T, Oviatt SK, Wilson D, et al. Vertebral deformity in men. J Bone Miner Res 1992;7:1259–65.
- Prevalence and severity of vertebral fracture: The saunders county bone quality study
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 160-165
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Vertebral deformity
- Vertebral fracture
- Industry Sectors