Present situation in the production and use of thorium
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The possible uses of thorium in the atomic industry and in other branches of industry, for example in the production of high-melting magnesium alloys, have resulted in an intense development of the thorium industry and in research work in this field. In recent years, a number of plants have been built in the U.S.A., India, Brazil and other countries for the treatment of thorium raw material. The recovery of thorium and the rare-earth elements from monazite is carried out mainly by alkaline methods. Extraction processes are widely used for the production of pure thorium compounds. Metallic thorium is produced by metallothermal methods and also by the electrolysis of chloride-fluoride or purely fluoride baths. Compact metallic thorium is obtained by the power metallurgical method or by the melting method.
- Metal. Progr. 71, No. 2, 97 (1957).
- Light Metals 20, No. 227, 58 (1957).
- Appl. Atomics, No. 96, 9 (1957).
- United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority, Third Annual Report, 1956–1957; Financial Times, 15th January 1957, 1st July 1957; Electrical Times, 130 (3397), 931 (1956).
- Nucleonics 15, No. 4, 20 (1957).
- Nucl. Power Plants Mech. Engng. 79 (3), 233 (1957).
- Rare-Earth Metals. Collection of Articles under the Editorship of L. N. Komissarova and V. E. Pliushchev, Foreign Literature Press, 1957 [in Russian].
- Chem. Ind. 9, No. 1, 24 (1957).
- C. F. Davidson, Min. Mag. 94, No. 4, 197 (1956).
- I. G. Mogak'ian, Ore Deposits, State Geology Press, 1955 [in Russian].
- Min. World 19, No. 9, 89 (1057).
- Min. Congr. J. 40, No. 3, 50 (1954).
- B. I. Kogan, Khimicheskaia nauka i promyshlennost', I, No. 5, 564 (1956).
- B. I. Kogan, Tsvetnye metally, No. 10, 89 (1956).
- G. E. Kaplan, T. A. Uspenskaia, K.V. Orlov and M. V. Sadovnikova, Investigation in the fields of geology, chemistry and metallurgy (Papers read by the Soviet delegation at the International Conference on the Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy), Acad. Sci. USSR Press, 1955, p. 105 [in Russian].
- A. R. Powell et al., Brit. Patent 510198 (1939).
- A. Audsley, R. Lind and P. G. England, Extraction and Refining of the Rare Metals, London, 1957, p. 351.
- R. Krumholz and F. Goltdenker, Extraction of thorium and uranium from Brazilian monazite (Paper No. 133 presented by Brazil at the International Conference on the Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy), Geneva, 1955.
- A. E. Bearse, G. D. Calkins et al., Chem. Engng. Progr. 50, No. 5, 235 (1954).
- Chem. Engng. News 31, No. 681, 1550 (1956).
- G. A. Meerson, G. E. Kaplan and T. A. Uspenskaia, Atomnaia energiia III, No. 9, 259(1957).
- O. N. Carbon et al., The metallurgy of thorium and its alloys (Paper No. 556, presented by the U.S.A. at the International Conference on the Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy), Geneva, 1955.
- C. C. Templeton and N. F. Hall, J. Phys. Coll. Chem. 51, 1441 (1947).
- E. K. Hyde, Chemistry of nuclear fuel (Papers read by foreign scientists at the International Conference on the Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy), State Chemistry Press, 1956, p. 393 [Russian translation].
- H. A. C. McKay, ibid, p. 496.
- A. Chesne and P. Regnaut, ibid., p. 174.
- H. T. Gresky. ibid, p. 141.
- J. C. Warf, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 71, 5257/8 (1949).
- V. V. Fomin and E. P. Mairova, Zhur. Neorg. Khim. I, No. 8, 1703 (1956).
- K. Smutz, C. L. Bridger, K. J. Shaw and R. B. Filbert, Chem. Eng. Progr. Symp. Ser. No, 11; Nucl. Eng. Part II, 1954.
- G. A. Meerson, A. F. Islankina and Iu. I. Zarembo, Investigations in the fields of geology, chemistry and metallurgy (Papers presented by the Soviet delegation to the International Conference on the Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy). Acad. Sci. USSR Press, 1955, p. 113.
- J. W. Marden and H. Rentschler, Ind. Engng. Chem. 19, 97 (1927).
- H. C. Rentschler, W. C. Lilliendahl and J. E. Gray, U. S. Patent 2,446,062 (1948).
- W. C. Lilliendahl, U. S. Patent, 2,537,067 (1951).
- O. C. Dean, Nucl. Engng. and Science Conference, Oak Ridge National Laboratory Paper 49, March 11–14, Philadelphia, 1957.
- O. Ruff and H. Brintzingen, Z. anorg. allgem. Chemie, 129, 267 (1923).
- R. Lautie, Bull. Soc. Chim. 14, 974 (1947).
- M. A. Steinberg, Forum Report Commercial and International Development in Atomic Energy, No. 7, 415 (1956).
- V. S. Emel'ianov and A. I. Evstlukhin, Atomnaia Energiia, No. 4, 107 (1956).
- A. E. Van Arkel and J. H. de Boer, Z. anorg. allgem. Chem. 148, 345 (1925).
- Present situation in the production and use of thorium
The Soviet Journal of Atomic Energy
Volume 5, Issue 2 , pp 983-991
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links