Multiple impairments in early childhood autism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Language, perceptual, motor, and behavioral abnormalities are compared in autistic, receptive aphasie, executive aphasie, partially blind and deaf children, those with Down's syndrome, and normal children. Similarities and differences between the language of receptive aphasic and autistic children are considered in detail. Results show that language functions in general, rather than just speech, are disturbed in autism. The difficulty of explaining the whole syndrome on the basis of any single abnormality is illustrated. An alternative hypothesis that a combination of language, perceptual, motor, and autonomic impairments underlies autistic behavior is postulated. Such a combination could have a single or multiple etiology. Isolated fragments of the full clinical picture frequently occur, either alone or in combination with different syndromes. Emphasis is placed on the need for detailed and systematic observation of behavior of autistic children.
- Angus, Z. Autonomic and cognitive functions in childhood psychosis.Bulletin of the British Psychological Society, 1970,23, 228–229.
- Bettelheim, B.The empty fortress: Infantile autism and the birth of the self. London: Collier-Macmillan, 1967.
- Bosch, G.Infantile autism. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1970.
- Brown, R. Language: The system and its acquisition. InSocial psychology. London: Macmillan, 1965.
- Chess, S. Autism in children with congenital rubella.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 1971,1, 33–47.
- Creak, M. Schizophrenic syndrome in childhood: Progress report of a working party.Cerebral Palsy Bulletin, 1961,3, 501–504.
- Creak, M. Childhood psychoses: A review of 100 cases.British Journal of Psychiatry, 1963,109, 84–89.
- Cunningham, M. A. A five year study of the language of an autistic child.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 1966,7, 143–154.
- Des Lauriers, A. M., & Carlson, C. F.Your child is asleep-early infantile autism. Homewood, Ill.: Dorsey, 1969.
- Dutton, G. The growth pattern of psychotic boys.British Journal of Psychiatry, 1964,110, 101–103.
- Gellner, L.A neurophysiological concept of mental retardation and its educational implications. Chicago: J. D. Levinson Research Foundation, 1959.
- Geschwind, N. Non-aphasic disorders of speech.International Journal of Neurology, 1964,4, 207–214.
- Hermelin, B., & O'Connor, N.Psychological experiments with autistic children. Oxford: Pergamon, 1970.
- Hutt, S. J., Hutt, C., Lee, D., & Ounsted, C. Arousal and childhood autism.Nature, 1964,204, 908–909.
- Itard, J. M. G.The wild boy of Aveyron. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1932.
- Kanner, L. Autistic disturbances of affective contact.Nervous Child, 1943,2, 217–250.
- Lenneberg, E.H.Biological foundations of language. New York: Wiley, 1967.
- Lotter, V. Epidemiology of autistic conditions in young children: II. Some characteristics of the parents and children.Social Psychiatry, 1967,1, 163–173.
- McCulloch, M. J., & Williams, L. On the nature of infantile autism.Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica, 1971, in press.
- McNeill, D. Developmental psycholinguistics. In F. Smith and G. A. Miller (Eds.),The genesis of language. Cambridge, Mass.: Institute of Technology, 1966.
- O'Gorman, G.The nature of childhood autism. (2nd ed.) London: Butterworths, 1970.
- Ornitz, E. M. Vestibular dysfunction in schizophrenia and childhood autism.Comprehensive Psychiatry, 1970,11, 159–173.
- Orton, S. T.Reading, writing and speech problems in children. London: Chapman & Hall, 1937.
- Pronovost, W., Wakstein, M. P., & Wakstein, D. J. A longitudinal study of speech behavior and language comprehension of fourteen children diagnosed as atypical or autistic.Exceptional Children, 1966,33, 19–26.
- Rachman, S., & Berger, M. Whirling and postural control in schizophrenic children.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 1963,4, 137–155.
- Rimland, B.Infantile autism. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1964.
- Rutter, M. Behavioural and cognitive characteristics. In J. K. Wing (Ed.),Early childhood autism. Oxford: Pergamon, 1966.
- Rutter, M. (Ed.)Infantile autism: Concepts, characteristics and treatment. London: Churchill, 1971, in press.
- Rutter, M., Bartak, L., & Newman, S. Autism—a central disorder of cognition and language? In M. Rutter (Ed.),Infantile autism: Concepts, characteristics and treatment. London: Churchill, 1971, in press.
- Sheridan, M. D. Playthings in the development of language.Health Trends, 1969,1, 7–10.
- Simon, G. B., & Gillies, S.M. Some physical characteristics of a group of psychotic children.British Journal of Psychiatry, 1964,110, 104–107.
- Stengel, E. A clinical and psychological study of echo reactions.Journal of Mental Science, 1947,93, 598–612.
- Van Krevelen, D. Arn. Early infantile autism and autistic psychopathy.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 1971,1, 82–86.
- Wing, J. K. Diagnosis, epidemiology, etiology. In J. K. Wing (Ed.),Early childhood autism. Oxford: Pergamon, 1966.
- Wing, J. K., O'Connor, N., & Lotter, V. Autistic conditions in early childhood: A survey in Middlesex.British Medical Journal, 1967,3, 389–392.
- Wing, L. The handicaps of autistic children—a comparative study.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 1969,10, 1–40.
- Wing, L. The syndrome of early childhood autism.British Journal of Hospital Medicine, 1970,4, 381–392.
- Wing, L. Perceptual and language development in autistic children: A comparative study. In M. Rutter (Ed.),Infantile autism: Concepts, characteristics and treatment. London: Churchill, 1971, in press.
- Witmer, L. Don: A curable case of arrested development due to a fear psychosis in a 3 year old infant.The Psychological Clinic for the Normal Development of Every Child, 1919,13, 97–111.
- Wolff, S., & Chess, S. A behavioural study of schizophrenic children.Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica, 1964,40, 438–466.
- Multiple impairments in early childhood autism
Journal of autism and childhood schizophrenia
Volume 1, Issue 3 , pp 256-266
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors