Sex reassignment surgery: A study of 141 dutch transsexuals
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This is an evaluation of the therapeutic effect of sex reassignment surgery on 36 female-to-male transsexuals and 105 male-to-female transsexuals in the Netherlands. Data were collected by means of structured interviews. The evaluation was made on the basis of subjective data only, that is on what the persons themselves reported on their gender identity, gender role, and physical condition. Allowing for the restrictive methodology of the (ex post facto) study, it is concluded that there is no reason to doubt the therapeutic effect of sex reassignment surgery. No specific differences were found between those who were still in medical treatment and those who had completed treatment. The findings obtained in the female-to-male transsexuals compare favorably with those obtained in male-to-female transsexuals. Finally, the conclusion is drawn that more attention ought to be paid to psychosocial guidance in addition to medical guidance.
- Alanko, A., and Achté, K. A. (1971). Transsexualism,Psychiat. Fennica pp. 343–348.
- Benjamin, H. (1966). 51 male transsexuals and the results of their operations. InThe Transsexual Phenomenon,, Julian Press, New York.
- Blanchard, R., Steiner, B. W., and Clemmensen, L.H. (1985). Gender dysphoria, gender reorientation, and the clinical management of transsexualism.J. Consult. Clin. Psych. 53: 295–304.
- Diener, E. (1984). Subjective well-being.Psychol. Bull. 95: 542–575.
- Duncan, B., and Duncan, O. D. (1978).Sex typing Academic Press, New York.
- Feinman, S. (1981). Why is Cross-Sex-Role Behavior more approved for girls than for boys? A status characteristics approach.Sex Roles 7: 289–300.
- Fisk, N. M. (1978). Five spectacular results.Arch. Sex. Behav. 7: 351–369.
- Hastings, D. (1974). Postsurgical adjustment of male transsexual patients.Clin. Plast. Surg. 1: 335–344.
- Hastings, D., and Markland, C. (1978). Post-surgical adjustment of twenty-five transsexuals (male-to-female) in the University of Minnesota Study.Arch. Sex. Behav. 7: 327–336.
- Hertz, J., Williger, K. G., and Westman, A. (1961). Transvestism: Report on five hormonally and surgically treated cases.Acta Psychiat. Scand. 37: 283–294.
- Hoenig, J., Kenna, J. C., and Youd, A. (1970). A follow-up study of transsexualists: social and economic aspects.Psychiat. Clin. 3: 85–100.
- Hoenig, J., Kenna, J.C., and Youd, A. (1971). Surgical treatment for transsexualism.Acta Psychiat. Scand. 47: 104–133.
- Hore, B. D., Nicole, F. V., and Calnan, J. S. (1975). Male transsexualism in England: sixteen cases with surgical intervention.Arch. Sex. Behav. 4: 81–87.
- Hunt, D. D., and Hampson, J. L. (1980). Follow-up of 17 biologic male transsexuals after sex-reassignment surgery.Am. J. Psychiat. 137: 432–438.
- Jayaram, B. R., Stuteville, O. H., and Bush, I. M. (1978). Complications and undesirable results of sex-reassignment surgery in male to female transsexuals.Arch. Sex. Behav. 7: 337–341.
- Kerlinger, F. N. (1964).Foundations of Behavioral Research Holt, Rinehart and Winston, London.
- Kröhn, W., Bertermann, H., Wand, H., and Wille, R. (1981). Nachuntersuchung bei operierten Transsexuellen. Transsexualism: a long-term follow-up after sex reassignment surgery.Nervenartzt 52: 26–31.
- Kuiper, A. J., Cohen-Kettenis, P. T., and Reyt, v.d. F. (1985). Transsexuality in the Netherlands. Some medical and legal aspects.Med. Law 4: 373–378.
- Lindemalm, G., Körlin, D., and Uddenberg, N. (1986). Long term follow-up of ‘sex-change’ in 13 male-to-female transsexuals.Arch. Sex. Behav. 15: 187–210.
- Lindgren, T., and Pauly, I. (1975). A body image scale for evaluating transsexuals.Arch. Sex. Behav. 4: 639–656.
- Lothstein, L. M. (1980). The postsurgical transsexual: empirical and theoretical considerations.Arch. Sex. Behav. 9: 547–564.
- Lothstein, L. M. (1982). Sex reassignment surgery: historical, bioethical and theoretical issues.Am. J. Psychiat. 139: 417–426.
- Lundström, B., Pauly, I., and Walinder, J. (1984). Outcome of sex reassignment surgery.Acta Psychiat. Scand. 70: 289–294.
- McCauley, E., and Ehrhardt, A. A. (1984). Follow-up of females with gender identity disorders.J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 172: 353–358.
- Meyer, J. K., and Reter, D. J. (1979). Sex reassignment—follow-up.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 36: 1010–1015.
- Money, J., and Ambinder, R. (1978). Two-years, real-life diagnostic test: rehabilitation versus cure. In Brady, J. P., and Brodie, H. K. M. (eds.),Controversy in Psychiatry W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp. 833–845.
- Money, J., and Ehrhardt, A. A. (1970). Transsexuelle nach Geslechtswechsel.Beitr. Sexual-forsch. 47: 70–87.
- Pauly, I. B. (1965). Male psychosexual inversion: transsexualism. A review of 100 cases.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 13: 172–181.
- Pauly, I. B. (1968). The current status of the change of sex operation.J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 147: 460–471.
- Pauly, I. B. (1981). Outcome of sex reassignment surgery for transsexuals.Aust. N. Z. J. Psychiat. 15: 45–51.
- Pierce, D. K., Matarazzo, R. G., and Pauly, I. B. (1979). The adjustment of female transsexuals following hormonal and surgical sex reassignment. Paper presented at the Sixth International Gender Dysphoria Symposium, Coronado, CA, February 21–25.
- Randell, J. B. (1969). Transvestism and transsexualism: a study of 50 cases.Br. Med. J. 2: 1448–1452.
- Sørensen, T. (1981a). A follow-up study of operated transsexual males.Acta Psychiat. Scand. 63: 486–503.
- Sørensen, T. (1981b). A follow-up study of operated transsexual females.Acta Psychiat. Scand. 64: 50–64.
- Spengler, A. (1980). Kompromisse statt Stigma und Unsicherheit. Transsexuelle nach Operation.Sexualmedizin 3: 98–103.
- Stürup, G. K. (1976). Male transsexuals. A long-term follow-up after sex reassignment operations.Acta Psychiat. Scand. 53: 51–63.
- Veenhoven, R. (1984).Conditions of Happiness. Reidel, Dordrecht.
- Walinder, J., and Thuwe, J. (1975). A social-psychiatric follow-up study of 24 sex-reassigned transsexuals.Reports From the Psychiatric Research Center St. Jorgens's Hospital, University of Göteborg, Sweden 10. Akademiforlager.
- Sex reassignment surgery: A study of 141 dutch transsexuals
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 17, Issue 5 , pp 439-457
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- gender dysphoria
- sex reassignment surgery
- follow-up study
- Industry Sectors