Written descriptions of orgasm: A study of sex differences
It has generally been assumed that a male's experience of orgasm is different from a female's experience of orgasm. In this study, a questionnaire consisting of 48 descriptions of orgasm (24 male and 24 female) was submitted to 70 judges. These professionals (obstetrician-gynecologists, psychologists, and medical students) were to sex-identify the descriptions to discover whether sex differences could be detected. The judges could not correctly identify the sex of the person describing an orgasm. Furthermore, none of the three professional groups represented in the sample of judges did better than any of the other groups. Male judges did no better than female judges and vice versa.These findings suggest that the experience of orgasm for males and females is essentially the same.
- Barnett, M. C. (1968). “I can't” versus “he won't”: Further considerations of the psychic consequences of the anatomic and physiological differences between the sexes.J. Am. Psychoanal. Assoc. 16: 588–600.
- Gebhard, P. H. (1966). Factors in marital orgasm.J. Soc. Issues 22: 88–95.
- Gillespie, W. H. (1969). Concepts of vaginal orgasm.Int. J. Psychoanal. 50: 495–497.
- Glenn, J., and Kaplan, E. H. (1968). Types of orgasm in women: A critical review and re-definition.J. Am. Psychoanal. Assoc. 16: 549–564.
- Heiman, M. (1968). Female sexuality.J. Am. Psychoanal. Assoc. 16: 565–568.
- Kane, F. J., Lipton, M. A., and Ewing, J. A. (1969). Hormonal influences in female sexual response.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 20: 202–209.
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. B., Martin, C. E., and Gebhard, P. H. (1953).Sexual Behavior in the Human Female Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Masters, W. H., and Johnson, V. E. (1966).Human Sexual Response Little, Brown, Boston.
- Moore, B. E. (1968). Psychoanalytic reflections on the implications of recent physiological studies of female orgasm.J. Am. Psychoanal. Assoc. 16: 569–587.
- Robertiello, R. C. (1970). The “clitoral versus vaginal orgasm” controversy and some of its ramifications.J. Sex Res. 6: 307–311.
- Shope, D. F., and Broderick, C. B. (1967). Level of sexual experience and predicted adjustment in marriage.J. Marriage Family 29: 424–427.
- Singer, J., and Singer, I. (1972). Types of female orgasm.J. Sex. Res. 8: 255–267.
- Wallin, P., and Clark, A. L. (1963). A study of orgasm as a condition of women's enjoyment of coitus in the middle years of marriage.Hum. Biol. 2: 131–139.
- Written descriptions of orgasm: A study of sex differences
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 87-98
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors