Reports of female initiation of sexual contact: Male and female differences
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Women's reports of initiating sexual contact and men's reports of experiencing female initiation were compared. 128 male and 212 female college students were recruited from sexuality classes at three institutions. It was hypothesized that there would be no significant difference between women's reports of initiating sexual contact and men's reports of experiencing female initiation. A chi-square test of significance at the p <0.05 level with an alpha rate adjustment (p <0.002) using the Bonferroni technique was implemented. Of 26 questionnaire items, 15 registered significant differences between male and female reports (p <0.002). Overall, males reported experiencing female initiation more frequently than females reported initiating. Traditional gender roles may influence male and female perceptions of female initiation of sexual contact in a way that contributes to significant differences in reporting.
- Burt, M. (1980). Cultural myths and supports for rape.J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 38: 217–230.
- Koss, M., and Oros, C. (1982). Sexual experiences survey: A research instrument investigating sexual aggression and victimization.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 50: 455–457.
- Kinsey, A., Pomeroy, W., and Martin, C. (1948).Sexual Behavior in the Human Male. W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA.
- Muehlenhard, C., and Cook, S. (1988). Men's self-reports of unwanted sexual activity.J. Sex Res. 24: 58–72.
- Muehlenhard, C., and Long, P. (1988, November). Sexually coerced men and sexually coercive women. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sex, San Francisco.
- Okami, P. (1991). Self-reports of “positive” childhood and adolescent sexual contacts with older persons: An exploratory study.Arch. Sex. Behav. 20: 437–458.
- Sarrel, P., and Masters, W. (1982). Sexual molestation of men by women.Arch. Sex. Behav. 11: 117–131.
- Strong, B., and DeVault, C. (1988).Understanding Our Sexuality, West, St. Paul, MN.
- Struckman-Johnson, C. (1988). Forced sex on dates: It happens to men, too.J. Sex Res. 24:, 234–241.
- Thomas, J., and Nelson, J. (1990).Research Methods in Physical Activity 2nd ed., Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL.
- White, J., and Humphrey, J. (1991). Young peoples attitudes toward acquaintance rape. In Parrot, A., and Bechhofer, L. (eds.),Acquaintance Rape: The Hidden Crime Wiley, New York, pp. 43–56.
- Reports of female initiation of sexual contact: Male and female differences
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 22, Issue 4 , pp 335-343
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- female initiation
- reporting differences
- Industry Sectors