Psychopathology and personality characteristics of criminal sexual offenders as a function of victim age
- Seth C. Kalichman Ph.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The affective, personality and psychopathological characteristics of incarcerated adult sex offenders was studied. Subjects were 144 men divided into three groups based on the age of their victims: prepubescent children, postpubescent adolescents, and adults. Results indicated significant differences between groups in trait anxiety and anger, self-esteem, and 7 of 13 MMPI scales. Results suggest a linear relationship between victim age and psychopathology, with child offenders displaying the greatest affective and thought disturbance. Adolescent offenders scored between child and adult offenders on most measures. Results are discussed in the context of theoretical explanations for sexual aggression and treatment.
- Araji, S., and Finkelhor, D. (1985). Explanations of pedophilia: Review of empirical research.Bull. Am. Acad. Psychiat. Law 13: 17–37.
- Butcher, J. N., and Tellegen, A. (1978). Common methodological problems in MMPI research.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 46: 620–628.
- Coopersmith, S. (1967).The Antecedents of Self-Esteem Freeman, San Francisco.
- Crowne, D., and Marlowe, D. (1960). A new scale of social desirability independent of psychopathology.J. Consult. Psychol. 24: 349–354.
- Duckworth, J., and Anderson, W. (1987).MMPI Interpretation Manual for Counselors and Clinicians 3rd ed., Accelerated Development, Muncie, IN.
- Erickson, W., Luxenberg, M., Walbek, N., and Seely, R. (1987). Frequency of MMPI two-point code types among sex offenders.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 55: 566–570.
- Finkelhor, D., and Araji, S. (1986). Explanations of pedophila: A four factor model.J. Sex Res. 22: 145–161.
- Graham, J. R. (1987).The MMPI: A Practical Guide 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, New York.
- Groth, N. (1979).Men Who Rape: The Psychology of the Offender Plenum Press, New York.
- Groth, N., and Birnbaum, H. (1978). Adult sexual orientation and attraction to underage persons.Arch. Sex. Behav. 7: 175–181.
- Hall, G. N., Maiuro, R., Vitaliano, P., and Proctor, W. (1986). The utility of the MMPI with men who have sexually assaulted children.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 54: 493–496.
- Kalichman, S. C. (1988).The development of a brief self esteem scale for forensic populations. (unpublished).
- Kalichman, S. C. (1990). Affective and personality characteristics of replicated MMPI profile subgroups of incarcerated adult rapists.Arch. Sex. Behav. 19 443–459.
- Levin, S., and Stava, L. (1987). Personality characteristics of sex offenders: A review.Arch. Sex. Behav. 16: 57–79.
- Meyer, R. G. (1983).The Clinicians Handbook: The Psychopathology of Adulthood and Late Adolescence Allyn and Bacon, Boston.
- Meyer, R. G. (1989).The Clinicians Handbook: The Psychopathology of Adulthood and Late Adolescence 2nd ed., Allyn and Bacon, Boston.
- Prentky, R., Cohen, M., and Seghorn, T. (1985). Development of a rational taxonomy for the classification of rapists: The Massachusetts treatment center system.Bull. Am. Acad. Psychiat. Law 13: 39–70.
- Shealy, L. (1989).Offender-victim relationships as a determinant of psychopathological characteristics of incarcerated sex offenders. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Southeastern Psychological Association, Washington, DC.
- Spielberger, C. D., Jacobs, G., Crane, R., Russell, R., Westberry, L., Barber, L., Johnson, E., Knight, J., and Marks, E. (1979).Preliminary Manual for the State-Trait Personality Inventory (STPI) University of South Florida, Human Resources Institute, Tampa.
- Spielberger, C. D., Gorusch, R., Lushene, R., Vagg, P., and Jacobs, G. (1983).Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA.
- Wolf, S., Freink, W., and Shaffer, J. (1964). Comparability of complete oral and booklet forms of the MMPI.J. Clin. Psychol. 20: 375–378.
- Psychopathology and personality characteristics of criminal sexual offenders as a function of victim age
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 187-197
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sex offenders
- child molesters
- deviant behavior
- criminal personality
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina, USA