Responses to reading erotic stories: Male-female differences
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In individual sessions, 120 female and 120 male students read one of two stories in which the sexual experience of a young couple was described. The stories differed in the degree to which affection was expressed. The results were as follows: (1) On the average, the stories were rated as “moderately sexually arousing.” (2) The emotional reactions during and to a lesser degree in the 24 hr after the experiment may be described as general activation, an increase of emotional instability, and avoidance reactions. (3) Most of the subjects registered sexual-physiological reactions in the genital region during the experiment. (4) In the 24 hr period following the experiment, there was a slight to moderate activation of sexual behavior, sexual fantasy, and sexual drive. (5) With reference to all measured responses, only slight sex differences were found. Compared to men, women displayed significantly less emotional activation and significantly greater emotional instability and avoidance. Coital activity and sexual drive were significantly more increased among women than among men during the 24 hr following the experiment. (6) The type of story has only a very slight influence on the measured responses. This is true for both men and women.
- Byrne, D., and Lamberth, J. (1970). The effect of erotic stimuli on sex arousal, evaluative responses, and subsequent behavior. InTechnical Reports of the Commission on Obscenity and Pornography. Vol. 8, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
- Christensen, H. T. (1966). Scandinavian and American sex norms: Some comparisons with sociological implications.J. Soc. Issues 22 60–75.
- Ehrmann, W. W. (1959).Premarital Dating Behavior Holt, New York.
- Griffitt, W. (1970).Response to Erotica and the Projection of Response to Erotica in the Opposite Sex Kansas State University, Manhattan (mimeographed).
- Griffitt, W., Veitch, R., and Littlepage, G. (1970).Erotic Arousal and Interpersonal Behavior: Influences on Interpersonal Attraction Kansas State University, Manhattan (mimeographed).
- Jakobovits, L. A. (1966). Evaluational reactions to erotic literature.Psychol. Rep. 16 985–994.
- Kinsey, A. C., Pomeroy, W. B., Martin, C. E., and Gebhard, P. H. (1953).Sexual Behavior in the Human Female Saunders, Philadelphia and London.
- Kutschinsky, B. (1970). The effect of pornography—an experiment on perception, attitudes, and behavior. InTechnical Reports of the Commission on Obscenity and Pornography, Vol. 8, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
- Mann, J., Sidman, J., and Starr, S. (1970). Effects of erotic films on sexual behaviors of married couples. InTechnical Reports of the Commission on Obscenity and Pornography, Vol. 8, Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
- Mosher, D. L. (1970a). Psychological reactions to pornographic films. InTechnical Reports of the Commission on Obscenity and Pornography, Vol. 8, Government Printing Office, Washington, D. C.
- Mosher, D. L. (1970b).Sex-Guilt and Reactions to Pornographic Films University of Connecticut, Storrs (mimeographed).
- Schmidt, G., and Sigusch, V. (1970). Sex differences in responses to psychosexual stimulation by films and slides.J. Sex. Res. 6 268–283.
- Schmidt, G., and Sigusch, V. (1972). Woman's sexual arousal. In Money, J., and Zubin, J. (eds.),Critical Issues in Contemporary Sexual Behavior The Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore (in press).
- Schofield, M. (1965).The Sexual Behaviour of Young People Longmans, London.
- Sigusch, V., and Schmidt, G. (1971). Lower-class sexuality: Some emotional and social aspects in West German males and females.Arch. Sex. Behav. 1 29–44.
- Sigusch, V., Schmidt, G., Reinfeld, A., and Wiedemann-Sutor, I. (1970). Psychosexual stimulation: Sex differences.J. Sex. Res. 6 10–24.
- Responses to reading erotic stories: Male-female differences
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 3 , pp 181-199
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links