Age- and seizure-related changes in noradrenaline and dopamine in several brain regions of epileptic El mice
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Noradrenaline (NA) and dopamine (DA) levels in six brain regions of stimulated and nonstimulated El (El[s] and El[ns]) mice and their maternal ddY mice were determined at various ages and various times after a convulsion. The NA levels in the striatum and hippocampus of 12-week-old El[s] and El[ns] mice were lower than in ddY mice, and remained lower in 23-week-old El[s] mice, but not in El[ns] mice. DA levels were lower in the striatum of El[s] mice than in El[ns] and ddY mice at 16 and 23 weeks of age. NA levels decreased during seizure in the striatum and hippocampus of El[s] mice, and returned to preconvulsive levels 1 hr after convulsion in the striatum and 30 min in the hippocampus. DA levels in the striatum of El[s] mice decreased during convulsion and increased from 1 to 10 min after convulsion. These changes suggest that the NAergic systems in the striatum and hippocampus and the DAergic system in the striatum have important roles in relation to seizure susceptibility in El mice.
- Kellog, C. 1976. Audiogenic seizures: relation to age and mechanism of monoamine neurotransmission. Brain Res. 106:87–103.
- Jobe, P. C., and Laird, H. E. II. 1981. Neurotransmitter abnormalities as determinants of seizure susceptibility and intensity in the genetic models of epilepsy. Biochem. Pharmacol. 30:3137–3144.
- Loscher, W., and Noebels, L. 1985. Influences of pharmacological manipulation of inhibitory and excitatory systems on seizure behavior in the mongolian gerbils. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 233:204–213.
- Levitt, P., and Noebels, L. 1981. Mutant mouse tottering: selective increases of locus ceruleus axons in a defined single-locus mutation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 78:4630–4634.
- Maurin, Y., Arbilla, S., Dedek, J., Lee, C. R., Baumann, N., and Langer, S. Z. 1982. Noradrenergic neuro-transmission in the brain of a convulsive mutant mouse. Naunyn-Schmied. Arch. Pharmacol. 320:26–33.
- Imaizumi, K., Ito, S., Kututake, G., Takizawa, T., Fujiwara, K., and Tutikawa, K. 1959. Epilepsy like anomaly of mice (in Japanese), Jikken-Doubutsu. (Tokyo) 8:6. (Abstract in English).
- Hattori, H., Ito, M., and Mikawa, H. 1985. γ-Aminobutyric acid, benzodiazepine binding sites and γ-aminobutyric acid concentration in epileptic El mice. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 119:217–223.
- Ochi, J., Ito, M., Okuno, T. and Mikawa, H. 1988. Immunoreactive leucin-enkephalin content in brain of epileptic El mice. Epilepsia. 29:91–96.
- Tsuda, H., Ito, M., Oguro, K., Mutoh, K., Shiraishi, H., Shirasaka, Y. and Mikawa, H. 1990. Involvement of noradrenergic system in the seizures of epileptic El mice. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 176:321–330.
- Shirasaka, Y., Ito, M., Tsuda, H., Shiraishi, H., Oguro, K., Mutoh, K. and Mikawa, H. 1990. Decreased benzodiazepine receptor binding in epileptic El mice: A quantitative autoradiographic study. Neurochem. Res. 15:869–874.
- Ito, M., Tsuda, H., Oguro, K., Mutoh, K., Shiraishi, H., Shirasaka, Y. and Mikawa, H. 1990. GABA-gated chloride ion influx in brains of epileptic El mice. Neurochem. Res. 15:933–936.
- Ito, M., Hattori, H., Shirasaka, Y., Tsuda, H. and Mikawa, H. 1990. Role of GABA-mediated neurotransmission in seizures of El mice. Pages 443–454,in Lubec, G., and Rosenthal, G. A. (eds.), Amino acids; Chemistry, biology and medicine, ESCOM, Leiden.
- Oguro, K., Ito, M., Tsuda, H., Mutoh, K., Shiraishi, H., Shirasaka, Y. and Mikawa, H. 1990. NMDA sensitive L-[3H]glutamate binding in cerebral cortex of El mice. Epilepsy Res. 6:211–214.
- Oguro, K., Ito, M., Tsuda, H., Mutoh, K., Shiraishi, H., Shirasaka, Y. and Mikawa, H. 1991. Association of NMDA receptor sites and seizures of El mice. Epilepsy Res. 9:225–230.
- Hiramatsu, M., 1981. Brain monoamine levels and El mouse convulsions. Folia Psychiat. Neurol. Jap. 35:261–266.
- Glowinski, J. and Iversen, L. L. 1966. Regional studies of catecholamine in the rat brain-1. The disposition of [3H]norepinephrine, [3H]dopamine and [3H]dopa in various regions of the brain. J. Neurochem. 13:655–669.
- Miwa, S., Fujiwara, M., Inoue, M. and Fujiwara, H. 1987. Effects of hypoxia on the activities of noradrenergic and dopaminergic neurons in the rat brain. J. Neurochem. 47:63–69.
- Gale, K. 1984. Role of the substantia nigra in the anticovulsant actions of GABAergic drugs. Pages 57–80,in Fariello, R. G., Morselli, P. L., Lloyd, K. G., Quesney, L. F. and Engel, J. (eds.), Neurotransmitters, Seizures, and Epilepsy, II. Raven Press, New York.
- Turski, L., Meldrum, B. S., Cavalheiro, E. A., Calderazzo-Folho, L. S., Bortolotto, Z. A., Ikonomidou-Turski, C. and Turski, W. A. 1987. Paradoxical anticonvulsant activity of the excitatory amino acid N-methyl-D-aspartate in the rat caudate-putamen. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 84:1689–1693.
- Suzuki, J. 1989. Genetic and physiological mechanisms of epileptic seizures. Pages 3–12,in Suzuki, J., Seino, M., Fukuyama, Y. and Komai, S. (eds.), Art and Science of Epilepsy, Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Ashton, C., Anlezark, G. and Meldrum, B. S. 1976. Inhibition of reflex epilepsy by (+)-N-n-propylnorapomorphine. Eur J. Pharmacol. 39:399–401.
- Schonfeld, A. R., and Glick, S. D. 1980. Neuropharmacological analysis of handling-induced seizures in gerbils. Neuropharmacol. 19:1009–1016.
- Hiramatsu, M. and Mori, A., 1977. Brain catecholamine concentrations and convulsions in El mice. Folia Psychiat. Neurol. Jap. 31:491–495.
- Age- and seizure-related changes in noradrenaline and dopamine in several brain regions of epileptic El mice
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 111-117
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- El Mice
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pediatrics, Shimane Medical University, 89-1, Enya-cho, 693, Izumo, Japan
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan