The brief Reasons for Living Inventory for adolescents (BRFL-A)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study modified and evaluated the psychometric properties of the Reasons for Living Inventory (RFL) in samples of adolescents. Internal consistency reliability, corrected item-total scale correlation, and exploratory factor analysis procedures were used with a mixed sample of 260 adolescents to identify 14 items for the brief version of the RFL (BRFL-A). Confirmatory factor analyses provided support for the five-factor oblique structure of the BRFL-A in a psychiatric inpatient sample with a range of suicidal behaviors. Reliabilities of the BRFL-A subscales were satisfactory. Four of the five subscales differentiated between suicidal and nonsuicidal adolescents. Significant correlations were found between three BRFL-A subscales and several suicide indices. Convergent-discriminant validity was examined by correlating the BRFL-A subscales with the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory—Adolescents (MMPI-A) Content Scales. Limitations of the study are discussed.
- American Psychiatric Association (1987).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed., rev.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Apter, A., Bleich, A., Plutchik, R., Mendelsohn, S., & Tyano, S. (1988). Suicidal behavior, depression, and conduct disorder in hospitalized adolescents.Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 22 696–699.
- Bentler, P. M. (1990). Comparative fit indexes in structural models.Psychological Bulletin, 107 238–246.
- Bentler, P. M. (1993).EQS structural equations program manual. Los Angeles: BMDP Statistical Software, Inc.
- Butcher, J. N., Williams, C. L., Graham, C. L., Archer, R. P., Tellegen, A., Ben-Porath, Y. S., & Kaemmer, B. (1992).Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-Adolescent (MMPI-A): Manual for administration, scoring, and interpretation. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Cole, D. A. (1989). Validation of the Reasons for Living Inventory in general and delinquent adolescent samples.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 17 13–27.
- Cull, J. G., & Gill, W. S. (1982).Suicide Probability Scale. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.
- Derogatis, L. R. (1992).The Brief Symptom Inventory (BSI): Administration, scoring, and procedures manual II. Townson, MD: Clinical Psychometrics Research.
- Dukes, R., & Lorch, B. (1989). The effect of family, self-concept, and deviant behavior on adolescent suicide ideation.Journal of Adolescence, 12 239–251.
- Ivanoff, A., Jang, S. J., Smyth, N. J., & Linehan, M. M. (1994). Fewer reasons for staying alive when you are thinking of killing yourself: The Brief Reasons for Living Inventory.Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 16, 1–13.
- Kashden, J., Fremouw, W., Callahan, T., & Franzen, M. (1993). Impulsivity in suicidal and nonsuicidal adolescents.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 21 339–353.
- Linehan, M. M. (1983).The Reasons for Living Inventory (RFL). Unpublished manuscript. (Available from Marsha M. Linehan, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.)
- Linehan, M. M., Goodstein, L. J., Nielsen, S. L., & Chiles, J. A. (1983). Reasons for staying alive when you are thinking of killing yourself: The Reasons for Living Inventory.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology.51 276–286.
- Linehan, M. M., & Nielsen, S. L. (1981).Suicidal Behaviors Questionnaire (SBQ). Unpublished manuscript. (Available from Marsha M. Linehan, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.)
- Osman, A., Barrios, F. X., & Osman, J. R. (1994). The Reasons for Living Inventory.The Behavior Therapist, 17, 112–113.
- Osman, A., Barrios, F. X., Panak, W. F., Osman, J. R., Hoffman, J., & Hammer, R. (1994). Validation of the Multi-Attitude Suicide Tendency Scale in adolescent samples.Journal of Clinical Psychology, 50 847–855.
- Osman, A., Gifford, J., Jones, T., Lickiss, L., Osman, J. R., & Wenzel, R. (1993). Psychometric evaluation of the Reasons for Living Inventory.Psychological Assessment, 5 154–158.
- Range, L. M., & Antonelli, K. B. (1990). A factor analysis of six commonly used instruments associated with suicide using college students.Journal of Personality Assessment, 55 804–811.
- Steede, K. C., & Range, L. M. (1989). Does television induce suicide contagion with adolescents?Journal of Community Psychology, 15, 24–28.
- Strosahl, K., Chiles, J. A., & Linehan, M. (1992). Prediction of suicide intent in hospitalized parasuicides: Reasons for living, hopelessness, and depression.Comprehensive Psychiatry, 33 366–373.
- The brief Reasons for Living Inventory for adolescents (BRFL-A)
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 24, Issue 4 , pp 433-443
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, The University of Northern Iowa, 50614-0505, Cedar Falls, Iowa, USA
- 2. Department of Psychology, University of Washington, 98195, Seattle, Washington, USA