The brief Reasons for Living Inventory for adolescents (BRFL-A)
This study modified and evaluated the psychometric properties of the Reasons for Living Inventory (RFL) in samples of adolescents. Internal consistency reliability, corrected item-total scale correlation, and exploratory factor analysis procedures were used with a mixed sample of 260 adolescents to identify 14 items for the brief version of the RFL (BRFL-A). Confirmatory factor analyses provided support for the five-factor oblique structure of the BRFL-A in a psychiatric inpatient sample with a range of suicidal behaviors. Reliabilities of the BRFL-A subscales were satisfactory. Four of the five subscales differentiated between suicidal and nonsuicidal adolescents. Significant correlations were found between three BRFL-A subscales and several suicide indices. Convergent-discriminant validity was examined by correlating the BRFL-A subscales with the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory—Adolescents (MMPI-A) Content Scales. Limitations of the study are discussed.
- American Psychiatric Association (1987).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed., rev.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Apter, A., Bleich, A., Plutchik, R., Mendelsohn, S., & Tyano, S. (1988). Suicidal behavior, depression, and conduct disorder in hospitalized adolescents.Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 22 696–699.
- Bentler, P. M. (1990). Comparative fit indexes in structural models.Psychological Bulletin, 107 238–246.
- Bentler, P. M. (1993).EQS structural equations program manual. Los Angeles: BMDP Statistical Software, Inc.
- Butcher, J. N., Williams, C. L., Graham, C. L., Archer, R. P., Tellegen, A., Ben-Porath, Y. S., & Kaemmer, B. (1992).Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-Adolescent (MMPI-A): Manual for administration, scoring, and interpretation. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Cole, D. A. (1989). Validation of the Reasons for Living Inventory in general and delinquent adolescent samples.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 17 13–27.
- Cull, J. G., & Gill, W. S. (1982).Suicide Probability Scale. Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.
- Derogatis, L. R. (1992).The Brief Symptom Inventory (BSI): Administration, scoring, and procedures manual II. Townson, MD: Clinical Psychometrics Research.
- Dukes, R., & Lorch, B. (1989). The effect of family, self-concept, and deviant behavior on adolescent suicide ideation.Journal of Adolescence, 12 239–251.
- Ivanoff, A., Jang, S. J., Smyth, N. J., & Linehan, M. M. (1994). Fewer reasons for staying alive when you are thinking of killing yourself: The Brief Reasons for Living Inventory.Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 16, 1–13.
- Kashden, J., Fremouw, W., Callahan, T., & Franzen, M. (1993). Impulsivity in suicidal and nonsuicidal adolescents.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 21 339–353.
- Linehan, M. M. (1983).The Reasons for Living Inventory (RFL). Unpublished manuscript. (Available from Marsha M. Linehan, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.)
- Linehan, M. M., Goodstein, L. J., Nielsen, S. L., & Chiles, J. A. (1983). Reasons for staying alive when you are thinking of killing yourself: The Reasons for Living Inventory.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology.51 276–286.
- Linehan, M. M., & Nielsen, S. L. (1981).Suicidal Behaviors Questionnaire (SBQ). Unpublished manuscript. (Available from Marsha M. Linehan, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.)
- Osman, A., Barrios, F. X., & Osman, J. R. (1994). The Reasons for Living Inventory.The Behavior Therapist, 17, 112–113.
- Osman, A., Barrios, F. X., Panak, W. F., Osman, J. R., Hoffman, J., & Hammer, R. (1994). Validation of the Multi-Attitude Suicide Tendency Scale in adolescent samples.Journal of Clinical Psychology, 50 847–855.
- Osman, A., Gifford, J., Jones, T., Lickiss, L., Osman, J. R., & Wenzel, R. (1993). Psychometric evaluation of the Reasons for Living Inventory.Psychological Assessment, 5 154–158.
- Range, L. M., & Antonelli, K. B. (1990). A factor analysis of six commonly used instruments associated with suicide using college students.Journal of Personality Assessment, 55 804–811.
- Steede, K. C., & Range, L. M. (1989). Does television induce suicide contagion with adolescents?Journal of Community Psychology, 15, 24–28.
- Strosahl, K., Chiles, J. A., & Linehan, M. (1992). Prediction of suicide intent in hospitalized parasuicides: Reasons for living, hopelessness, and depression.Comprehensive Psychiatry, 33 366–373.
- The brief Reasons for Living Inventory for adolescents (BRFL-A)
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 24, Issue 4 , pp 433-443
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, The University of Northern Iowa, 50614-0505, Cedar Falls, Iowa, USA
- 2. Department of Psychology, University of Washington, 98195, Seattle, Washington, USA