The application of a strategic management model to the internationalization of higher education institutions
- Romuald E. J. Rudzki
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The growth of international activities within higher education institutions takes place in a number of different ways ranging from the ad hoc (reactive) to the strategic (proactive). This paper draws on an earlier (1993) empirical study by the author of UK Business Schools in order to identify the key elements within any process of internationalization and to provide a framework for assessing levels of international activity within institutions. It concludes with an introductory model of internationalization which is to form the basis for future work. The paper is written from a UK perspective but can be adapted for the analysis of educational institutions in other countries and other subject areas.
- Altbach, P.G. (1989) The New, Internationalism: foreign students and scholars. studies in Higher Education 14: pp. 125-136
- Arkin, A. (1991). How International are Britain's Business Schools? Personnel Management, Nov. 1991, p. 28–31.
- Berchem, T. (1991) The internationalisation of higher education: the German perspective. Higher Education 21: pp. 297-304
- Brown, G., Atkins, M. (1986) Academic staff training in British Universities. Studies in Higher Education 11: pp. 29-42
- Bryson, J.M.A. (1988). ‘Strategic Planning Process for Public and non-profit Organizations’,Long Range Planning 21(1).
- Clark, B.R. (1983) The contradictions of change in academic systems. Higher Education 12: pp. 101-116
- Review of international business and management. CNAA, London
- Commission of the European Communities (1991).Memorandum on Higher Education in the European Community. COM(91) 349 final, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- David, F.R. (1989) How Companies Define Their Mission. Long Range Planning 22: pp. 90-97
- Dineen, D.A. (1992). ‘Europeanisation of Irish Universities’,Higher Education, 391–411.
- EAIE (1993).Internationalisation of higher education in the Netherlands: a reference guide. EAIE/NUFFIC.
- Earle-Chaffee, E. The concept of Strategy: From Business to Higher Education. In: Smart, John C. eds. (1985) Higher Education Handbook of Theory and Research. Agathon Press, New York
- Easterby-Smith, M. (1987) Change and innovation in higher education: a role for corporate strategy?. Higher Education 16: pp. 37-52
- ERASMUS Office, (1992).ERASMUS and LINGUA Action II Directory. Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- Handy, C. (1986).Understanding Organizations Penguin Books.
- Holdaway, E.A., and Meekison, J.P. (1990). ‘Strategic Planning at a Canadian University’Long Range Planning 23(4).
- Johnson, G. and Scholes, K. (1989).Exploring Corporate Strategy: text and cases. Prentice Hall, 2nd edition.
- Kelly, N.H., Shaw, R.N. (1987) Strategic Planning by Academic Institutions—following the corporate path?. Higher Education 16: pp. 319-166
- Klasek, C.B. eds. (1992) Bridges to the Future: Strategies for Internationalizing Higher Education. AIEA Carbondale, Illinois
- Leontiades, M. (1979) Strategy and reality: A challenge for business policy. Academy of Management Review 4: pp. 275-279
- Lupton, T. (1991).The Process of Becoming International. Formacion y Empresa, EADA (quoted in CNAA 1992 Report).
- Mintzberg, H. (1978) Patterns of strategy formation. Management Science 24: pp. 924-948
- Mintzberg, H. (1994a).The Rise and Fall of Strategic Planning. Prentice Hall International and Freedom Press.
- Mintzberg, H. (1994) Rethinking Strategic Planning Part I: Pitfalls and Fallacies. Long Range Planning 27: pp. 12-21
- Mintzberg, H. (1994) Rethinking Strategic Planning Part II: New Roles for Planners. Long Range Planning 27: pp. 22-30
- Paliwoda, S.J. (1990) The Association of MBA's Guide to Business Schools. Pitman, London
- Rudzki, R. (1991).The internationalization of faculty activities. Paper delivered at the Annual Conference of the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE), 3–5 Nov. 1992, Berlin.
- Rudzki, R. (1993).The Internationalization of UK Business Schools—findings of a national survey. Unpublished paper.
- Rutherford, D., Fleming, W., Mathias, H. (1985) Strategies for change in higher education —Three political models. Higher Education 14: pp. 433-445
- Seidel, H. (1991) Internationalization: a new challenge for universities. Higher Education 21: pp. 289-296
- Sims, A., Stelcner, M. (1981) The Costs and Benefits of Foreign Study in Canada: a methodology. Canadian Bureau for International Exchange, Ottawa
- Thompson, J.L. (1990).Strategic Management—Awareness and Change. Chapman & Hall.
- Williams, P. eds. (1981) The Overseas Students Question: studies for a policy. Heinemann, London
- Williams, P. (1984) Britain's full-cost policy for overseas student. Comparative Education Review 28: pp. 258-278
- The application of a strategic management model to the internationalization of higher education institutions
Volume 29, Issue 4 , pp 421-441
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Education, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK