The debate over Diagnosis Related Groups
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
With the advent of the Prospective Payment System (PPS) using Diagnosis Related Groups (DRGs) as a classification method, the pros and cons of that mechanism have been sharply debated. Grouping the comments into categories related to administration/management, DRG system and quality of care, a review of relevant literature highlights the pertinent attitudes and views of professionals and organizations. Points constantly argued include data utilization, meaningful medical classifications, resource use, gaming, profit centers, patient homogenieity, severity of illness, length of stay, technology limitations and the erosion of standards.
- Federal Register.Medicare Program: Prospective Payment for Medicare Inpatient Hospital Services: Final Rule. Part VI, January 3, 1984, p. 235.
- Meyer JA: Increased Consumer Cost-Conscious and Competition.Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine.60(1):98–105, 1984.
- Wallace AG, Ellenbogen PS: DRGs: A Positive Side of the Ledger.North Carolina Medical Journal.45(4):232–233, 1984.
- Neuhauser D: A Message to Physicians.The Internist.24(6):23–25, 1983.
- Kaemmerer C: A New Reimbursement System. DRGs Are Coming.Connecticut Medicine 47(11):677–679, 1983.
- Rajani K, Dally AD: Medicare DRGs: Facts and Fallacies.Wisconsin Medical Journal 82(12):11–13, 1983.
- Yasko JM, Fleck A: Prospective Payment (DRGs): What Will Be the Impact on Cancer Care?Oncology Nursing Forum.33(3):63–72, 1984.
- Bird S, Mailhot C: DRGs: A New Way to Reimburse Hospital Costs.AORN Journal.38(5):773–777, 1983.
- Beth Israel Hospital, Newark, N.J. Outline notes for address on DRGs. Undated.
- Powers DK: Presentation to Subcommittee on Health and the Environment, House Energy and Commerce Committee, Washington, D.C., November 22, 1982.
- Bradley D: Per-Case Prospective Payment Under the DRG Methodology. A Three Year Experience in New Jersey. Morristown Memorial Hospital, Morristown, N.J. Undated.
- Riddick Jr. FA: The Doctor and the DRG.The Internist.24(6):17–18, 1983.
- Hospital Peer Review. Officials Spot Inequities in DRG Cost Control Program.6(2):13–15, 1981.
- Health Research and Educational Trust of New Jersey.DRG Evaluation. Volume III Case-Mix Classification, Data, and Management. Princeton, N.J., February 1984, p. 22.
- Richards Jr. JF: Prospective Reimbursement and DRGs.Journal of the Florida Medical Association.70(5):363–366, 1983.
- Bentley JD, Butler PW:The DRG Case Mix of a Sample of Teaching Hospitals: A Technical Report. Washington, D.C.: Association of American Medical Colleges, December 1981.
- Henry L: Hospital Concern Shown With New Pay Method Based on Case-Mix, Diagnosis Related Groups.Hospitals.54(14):22–24 (July 16), 1980.
- New Jersey Hospital Association.The DRG Maze. Unravelling the Mysteries of Hospital Reimbursement in New Jersey. Princeton, N.J., 1980.
- Friedman E: Getting to Know Us. Hospitals May Finally Learn the True Cost and Pricing.Hospitals.57(6):74, 78–82 (March 16), 1983.
- Keith SN: Prospective Payment for Hospital Costs Using Diagnosis Related Groups: Will Cost Inflation Be Reduced?Journal of the National Medical Association.75(6):609–622, 1983.
- Grimaldi PL: Can State Rate Review Programs Curb Costs Without Harming Quality?Hospital Progress.60(2):6, 10–22, 22, 1981.
- Levey GS: Government Revamp of the Health Care System: Effect on Patient Care and Research.The Pharos.46(4):23–27, 1983.
- Williams SV, Kominski GF, Dowd BE, Soper KA: Methodological Limitations in Case Mix Hospital Reimbursement, With a Proposal for Change.Inquiry.21:17–31 (Spring), 1984.
- American Medical News. DRG Programs Should Be Approached Cautiously. Cautiously. (Editorial).26(24):4 (June 24), 1983.
- Fuchs VR:Who Shall Live? Health, Economics, and Social Choice. N.Y.: Basic Books, Inc., 1974.
- Doremus HD: DRGs May Be Raising False Expectations.Hospitals.54(15):47–51 (August 1), 1980.
- Healthcare Financial Management Association. Analysis of Department of Health and Human Services Prospective Payment Proposal. Washington, D.C., January 14, 1983.
- Burick D, Nackel J: Diagnosis Related Groups: Tool for Management.Hospital & Health Services Administration.26(1):25–40, 1981.
- Ernst, Whinney:The Revised DRGs. Their Importance in Medicare Payments to Hospitals. E&W No. J58442. May 1983, p. 3.
- Johnson AN, Appel GL: Hospitals Will Fight Biased DRG System.Modern Healthcare.13(7):192–194, 1983.
- Hughes Jr. GS: Diagnosis-Related Groups (letter).Annals of Internal Medicine.101(1):138, 1984.
- Alper PR: Moderating Hospital Costs.Medical World News.25(10):76 (May 28), 1984.
- McIllrath S: Revised Grace Panel Report: No DRGs for Physician.American Medical News.27(4):1, 25–26 (January 27), 1984.
- American Medical News. DRGs Raise Questions for Medicine, Council Says.26(18):32 (May 13), 1983.
- The debate over Diagnosis Related Groups
Journal of Community Health
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 81-92
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links