Nuclear division in the cyst, and white spot nuclei preceding cyst formation, inAcetabularia wettsteinii
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Electron microscopy of nuclear division in young cysts ofAcetabularia wettsteinii shows that the dividing nucleus hat two additional cisternae of endoplasmic reticulum immediately outside the nuclear envelope. These additional cisternae are attached to, and apparently formed from a membrane body which develops outside the nucleus in early prophase. The interphase nucleus does not have the additional cisternae. The nucleoli are extruded from the nucleus at anaphase, the nucleolar bodies remaining in the peri-nuclear cytoplasm. The chromosomes have localized centromeres; the stratified ultrastructure characteristic of some chlorophycean and animal kinetochores has not been found inAcetabularia, although the kinetochore appears distinct, projecting from the chromatid, and has attached microtubules. The “condensed bodies” of the white spot nucleus are discussed.
- Berger, S., 1975: Morphology of the nucleo-cytoplasmic interactions during the development ofAcetabularia cells II. Protoplasma84, 223–256.
- Davies, D. R.,Plaskitt, A., 1970: John Innes Annual Report, p. 64.
- Franke, W. W., 1974: Morphology of the nucleo-cytoplasmic interactions during the development ofAcetabularia cells. I. Protoplasma82, 249–282.
- Godward, M. B. E., ed. 1966: Chromosomes of the Algae. London: Edward Arnold.
- Koop, H. U., 1975: über den Ort der Meiose beiAcetabularia mediterranea. Protoplasma85, 109–114.
- Mughal, S., Godward, M. B. E., 1973: Kinetochore and microtubules in two members ofChlorophyceae. Chromosoma (Berl.)44, 213–229.
- Pickett-Heaps, J. D., Fowkes, L. C., 1970: Cell division inOedogonium. II. Aust. J. biol. Sci.23, 71–92.
- Schulze, K. L., 1939: Cytologische Untersuchungen anAcetabularia mediterranea undAcetabularia wettsteinii. Arch. Protistenk.92, 179–225.
- Uddin, U. S. K., 1974: Ultrastructure of mitotic cells ofUlothrix, Stigeoclonium andColeochaete. Ph.D. thesis, University of London.
- Westergaard, M., Wettstein, D. von, 1970: The nucleolar cycle in an Ascomycete. C.R.Lab. Carlsberg37, 195–237.
- Woodcock, C. L. F., 1971: The anchoring of nuclei by cytoplasmic microtubules inAcetabularia. J. Cell Sci.8, 611–621.
- —,Miller, G. J., 1973: Ultrastructural features of the life cycle ofAcetabularia mediterranea. II. Protoplasma77, 331–341.
- Zickler, D., 1970: Division spindle and centrosomal plaques during mitosis and mitosis in some Ascomycetes. Chromosoma (Berl.)30, 287.
- Nuclear division in the cyst, and white spot nuclei preceding cyst formation, inAcetabularia wettsteinii
Volume 101, Issue 1-2 , pp 37-46
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Perinuclear envelopes
- Industry Sectors