Advantages and disadvantages of pregnancy and contraception: Teenagers' perceptions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Research has shown that teenagers' perceptions of the advantages and disadvantages of pregnancy and contraception are significant predictors of pregnancy risk taking. This analysis examines the content and determinants of these cost-benefit sets, using data from 425 sexually active adolescents. The results indicate that teens' perceptions of the advantages and disadvantages of pregnancy and contraception are neither strongly nor systematically related to each other. Moreover, the determinants of the four cost-benefit sets are varied, although there is some overlap between sets. Explanations of these findings and implications for future research and for the delivery of family planning services to teenagers are suggested.
- Alan Guttmacher Institute. (1976). Eleven Million Teenagers. New York.
- Allegeier, A.R. (1983). "Informational barriers to contraception." In: D. Byrne and W. Fisher (eds),Adolescents, Sex and Contraception. Hillsdale, New Jersey: Erlbaum Associates.
- Arnold, F. et al. (1975). The Value of Children: A Cross-National Study, Volume I. Honolulu, Hawaii: East-West Center.
- Chilman, C. (1983).Adolescent Sexuality in a Changing American Society. New York: Wiley.
- Crosbie, P.V., and Bitte, D. (1982). "A test of Luker's theory of contraceptive risk-taking."Studies in Family Planning 13, 67–78.
- Cvetkovich, G. and Grote, B. (1981). "Psychosocial maturity and teenage contraceptive use."Population and Environment 4, 211–225.
- Delamater, J. (1983). "An interpersonal and interactional model of contraceptive behavior." In: D. Byrne and W. Fisher (eds),Adolescents, Sex and Contraception. Hillsdale, New Jersey: Erlbaum Associates.
- Delamater, J. and MacCorquodele, P. (1978). "Premarital contraceptive use: A test of two models."Journal of Marriage and the Family 40, 235–247.
- Foreit, J.R. and Foreit, K.G. (1981). "Risk taking and contraceptive behavior among unmarried college students."Population and Environment 4, 174–188.
- Helmreich, R., and Stapp, J. (1974). "Short forms of the Texas Social Behavior Inventory—An objective measure of self-esteem."Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society 4, 473–475.
- Kastner, L. (1984). "Ecological factors predicting adolescent contraceptive use."Journal of Adolescent Health Care 5, 79–86.
- Ladner, J.A. (1971).Tomorrow's, Tomorrow: The Black Women. Garden City, New Jersey: Doubleday.
- Loevinger, J. and Wessler, R. (1970).Measuring Ego Development, Volumes I and II. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
- Luker, K. (1975).Taking Chances: Abortion and the Decision Not To Contracept. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- McKinney, K., and Delamater, J. (1980). "Contraceptive risk taking by single women: A comparison of two models." Paper presented at the annual meetings of the American Sociological Association.
- Miller, W.B. (1976). "Sexual and contraceptive behavior in young unmarried women."Primary Care, 3.
- Peacock, N. (1982). "Contraceptive decision-making among adolescent girls."Journal of Sex Education and Therapy 8, 31–34.
- Philliber, S., Namerow, P.B., Kaye, J.W., and Kunkes, C.H. (in press). "Pregnancy risk-taking among adolescents.".
- Reichelt, P.A., and Werley, H.H. (1975). "Contraception, abortion and venereal disease: Teenagers' knowledge and the effect of education."Family Planning Perspectives 7, 83–88.
- Zelnik, M., and Kantner, J.F. (1979). "Reasons for non-use of contraceptives by sexually active women aged 15–19."Family Planning Perspectives 11, 289–296.
- Zelnik, M., and Kantner, J.F. (1980). "Sexual activity, contraceptive use and pregnancy among metropolitan-area teenagers: 1971–1979."Family Planning Perspectives 12, 230–237.
- Advantages and disadvantages of pregnancy and contraception: Teenagers' perceptions
Population and Environment
Volume 9, Issue 1 , pp 23-40
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors