Early childhood staff attitudes toward their parent clientele
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The attitudes of 236 early childhood staff toward the childrearing practices of their parent clientele were assessed. A 30-item questionnaire with three response formats was used. The data confirmed the hypothesis that there is a significant difference between staff ratings of good parenting practices and ratings of their own center parents' childrearing practices. However, staff members indicated that they thought their center parents were doing a better job at childrearing than most American parents today.
- Ajzen, I., Fishbein, M. (1977) Attitude-behavior relations: A theoretical analysis and review of empirical research. Psychological Bulletin 84: pp. 888-918
- Ajzen, I., Fishbein, M. (1980) Understanding attitudes and predicting behavior. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Anastasi, A. (1976) Psychological Testing. MacMillan Publishing Co., New York
- Bronfenbrenner, U. (1979) Contexts of childrearing: Problems and prospects. American Psychologist 34: pp. 844-850
- Fishbein, M., Ajzen, I. (1972) Attitudes and opinions. Annual Review of Psychology 23: pp. 487-544
- Fishbein, M., Ajzen, I. (1973) Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior: An introduction to theory and research. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass.
- Honig, A. (1975) Parent involvement in early childhood education. National Association for the Education of Young Children, Washington, D.C.
- Joffe, C. (1977) Friendly intruders: Childcare professionals and family life. University of California Press, Berkeley
- Katz, L. Ethical issues in working with young children. ERIC publication (Cat. No 169), 1977.
- Katz, L. Mothering and teaching: Some significant distinction. April, 1980. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 190 204).
- Keniston, K. (1977) All our children: The family under pressure. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, New York
- Lane, M. (1975) Education for parenting. National Association for the Education of Young Children, Washington, D.C.
- Lightfoot, S.L. (1977) Family-school interactions: The cultural image of mothers and teachers. Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 3: pp. 395-408
- Nunnally, J.C. (1967) Psychometric theory. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Powell, D. Creating and sustaining parent groups: Critical program process dimensions. Paper presented at the Society for Research in Child Development, Boston, April, 1981.
- Early childhood staff attitudes toward their parent clientele
Child care quarterly
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 45-58
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links