Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Kerista Village is an equalitarian, nonmonogamous, utopian community in San Francisco whose members claim to have eliminated sexual jealousy. Responses of 15 Keristans to a specially designed “Sexual Jealousy Inventory” were compared to responses given by 87 Americans and 17 Israelis. Results indicate that Keristans indeed report significantly less sexual jealousy than the other two groups. Various interpretations of these results are offered, all within a social psychological perspective.
- ARONSON, E. and A. PINES (1980) “Exploring sexual jealousy.” Presented at the annual meetings of the Western Psychological Association, Honolulu.
- BEECHER, M. and W. BEECHER (1971) The Mark of Cain: An Anatomy of Jealousy. New York: Harper & Row.
- BOHM, E. (1967) “Jealousy,” pp. 56–57 in A. Ellis and A. Abarbanel (eds.) Encyclopedia of Sexual Behavior. New York: Hawthorne.
- CLANTON, G. and L. G. SMITH [eds.] (1977) Jealousy. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- CONSTANTINE, L. (1976) “Managing jealousy,” in D. L. Olson (ed.) Treating Relationships. Lake Mills, IA: Graphic.
- —— (1977) “Jealousy: techniques for intervention,” in G. Clanton and L. G. Smith (eds.) Jealousy. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- —— and J. CONSTANTINE (1973) “Seeing green,” in Group Marriage, Vol. 16. New York: Macmillan.
- DAVIS, K. (1936) “Jealousy and sexual property.” Social Forces 14: 395–405.
- FESTINGER, L., H. W. RIECKEN, and S. SCHACHTER (1956) When Prophecy Fails. New York: Harper & Row.
- HOAKEN, P. C. (1976) “Jealousy as a symptom of psychiatric disorder.” Austalian and New Zealand J. of Psychiatry 10, 1: 47–51.
- HUPKA, R. B. (1977) “Cultural determinants of romantic jealousy.” Presented at the annual meetings of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco.
- LAZARUS, R. S. and J. R. AVERILL (1972) “Emotion and cognition with special reference to anxiety,” in C. D. Spielberger (ed.) Anxiety: Current Trends in Theory and Research, Vol. 2. New York: Academic Press.
- LOBSENZ, N. M. (1977) “Taming the green-eyed monster” in G. Clanton and L. G. Smith (eds.) Jealousy. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- MACE, D. R. (1962) “Two faces of jealousy.” McCall's (May).
- MEAD, M. (1931) “Jealousy: primitive and civilized,” in Woman's Coming of Age. New York: Horace Liveright.
- NEILL, A. S. (1960) Summerhill: A Radical Approach to Child Rearing. New York: Hart.
- PINES, A. and P. ZIMBARDO (1978) “The personal and cultural dynamics of shyness: a comparison between Israelis, American Jews, and Americans.” J. of Psychology and Judaism 3, 2: 81–101.
- SHETTEL-NEUBER, J., J. B. BRYSON, and L. E. YOUNG (1978) “Physical attractiveness of the ‘other person’ and jealousy.” Personality and Social Psychology Bull. 4, 4.
- SIMMEL, G. (1950) The Sociology of George Simmel (K. Wolff, ed.). New York: Macmillan.
- TEISMANN, M. W. and D. L. MOSHER (1978) “Jealous conflict in dating couples.” Psych. Reports 42: 1211–1216.
- VIORST, J. (1970) “Confessions of a jealous wife.” Redbook Magazine (March).
- VOLLMER, H. (1946) “Jealousy in children.” Amer. J. of Orthopsychiatry 16: 660–671.
- WAGNER, J. (1976) “Jealousy, extended intimacies and sexual affirmation.” E.T. C. 33, 13: 269–288.
- WHITEHURST, R. N. (1977) “Jealousy and American values,” pp. 136–139 in G. Clanton and L. G. Smith (eds.) Jealousy. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 373-392
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors