Home educators and the law within Europe
- Amanda J. Petrie
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In education literature, there is often confusion between compulsory provision of education and compulsory schooling, falsely giving the impression that schooling is compulsory. This is not the case. Home education is permitted in some form or other in all the European countries studied except Germany.
Where the alternative of home education is denied to children who are in difficulty, such as very young children of itinerant workers, or children who are school phobic, one has to question whether the good of the individual child is being considered, rather than the ideals or convenience of education administrators. Home education is a welcome alternative to those children who need it and benefit from it and there is no evidence in academic literature or general writing on education to suggest that home education does not usually offer a good alternative to the children involved, both academically and socially.
Much research has been undertaken into home education in the US, there have been a few studies within the UK and a study in Switzerland of the laws which apply to home educators within each canton and an assessment of the numbers of home educated children in both Austria and Switzerland. In other European countries, there has been little or no research into the numbers of home educated children, the ways in which home educated children learn, efficient methods of monitoring home education, or whether home education is effective. Perhaps it is by looking more closely at these families that the effectiveness of schooling can be better assessed: fundamental questions can be asked about the added value of schooling.
My preliminary investigations indicate that, with the exception of Denmark, where it is easy for parents to set up small schools with financial help from government, there are instances of home education in all the countries studied.
- Altendorf, Herman. 1988.Berthold Otto: ein Wegbereiter der modernen Erlebnispädagogik?. Lüneburg: Verlag Klaus Neubauer.
- Aprender sin Escuela can be obtained from Apartado 28198, Madrid 28080, Spain.
- Arthur, 1991.Mon école buissionière. Paris: Fixot.
- Blau, Peter M. and Meyer W. Marshal. 1971.Bureaucracy in Modern Society. 2nd ed. New York: Random House.
- Bliss, Barbara A. 1989. Home Education: A Look at Current Practices. Michigan State University, College of Education, research project report.
- Craft, Maurice, Raynor, John and Cohen, Louis. 1992.Linking Home and School. 2nd ed. London: Longman.
- DFE. 1994.Our Children's Education: The Updated Parent's Charter. London: HMSO.
- Education Otherwise. 1993.School Is not Compulsory. Obtainable from Church Lane Cottages, Newton Harcourt, Leicestershire, LE8 9FT.
- Goertzel, Victor and Goertzel, Mildred George. 1965.Cradles of Eminence. London: Constable and Company.
- Green, Andy. 1990.Education and State Formation: The Rise of Education Systems in England, France and the USA. London: Macmillan.
- Gustavsen, Gunnar Avid. 1981.Selected Characteristics of Home Schools and Parents Who Operate Them. Ed.D. thesis, Andrews University, USA.
- Heimrath, Johannes. 1991.Tilmann geht nicht zur Schule: eine erfolgreiche Schulverweigerung. Wolfratshausen, Germany: Drachen Verlag GmbH.
- Knaepkens, Ludo. 1987.Report on the Education of the Children of the Itinerant Population in the Twelve Member States of the European Community: Rivercraft Children, Circus Children. Luxembourg: Commission of the European Communities.
- Knowles, J. Gary. 1988. The Context of Home-Schooling in the United States.Education and Urban Society 21(1) Nov.: 5–15.
- Knox, Patricia. 1988.Troubled Children: A Fresh Look at School Phobia, Gwynedd, UK: P. Knox, Pen LLywan, Holyhead.
- Kreitmaier, Karl. 1963.Bertold Otto: Ausgewählte pädagogische Schriften. Paderborn: Schöningh.
- Leuffen, Renata. 1993.Natürlich ohne Schule leben. Bonn, Germany: Kid Verlag.
- Leuffen, Reenata. 1994. Home Education Today: A Reference Book with Basic Information. Unpublished manuscript.
- Liegeois, Jean-Pierre. 1987.School Provision for Gypsy and Traveller Children: A Synthesis Report. Luxembourg: Commission of the European Communities.
- Lowden, S. 1988.Education Otherwise: Local Education Authorities' Responses. M.Ed. thesis, University of Nottingham.
- Marti, Hanna. 1991. Enquête suisse sur le homeschooling.Endlich/enfin. No. 2. Further details can be obtained from VFSS/ASEN, Chlini Schanz 92, 8260 Stein am Rhein, Switzerland.
- McCurdy, Harold G. 1960. The Childhood Patterns of Genius.Horizon May: 32–41.
- Melton, James Van Horn. 1988.Absolutism and the Eighteenth-Century Origins of Compulsory Schooling in Prussia and Austria. Cambridge University Press.
- Mors, Albrecht. 1986.Die Entwicklung der Schulpflicht in Deutschland. Inaugural dissertation Ph.D., Tübingen, Eberhard-Karls-Universität.
- Mullarney, Maire. 1983.Anything School Can Do You Can Do Better. Dublin: Arlen House.
- OECD. 1969.Reviews of National Policies for Education: Italy. Paris: OECD.
- OECD. 1983.Compulsory Schooling in a Changing World. Paris: OECD.
- OECD. 1994.School: A Matter of Choice. Paris: OECD.
- Parsons, Talcott. 1959. The School Class as a Social System.Harvard Educational Review 29(4) Fall: 297–318.
- Petrie, Amanda J. 1992.Home Education and the Local Education Authority: From Conflict to Cooperation. Ph.D. thesis, Liverpool University, UK.
- Petrie, Amanda J. 1993. Education at Home and the Law.Education and the Law 5(3): 139–144.
- Ray, Brian D. and Jon Wartes. 1991. The Academic Achievement and Affective Development of Home-schooled Children. In: Jane Van Galen and Mary Ann Pitman, eds.,Home Schooling: Political, Historical and Pedagogical Perspectives (43-62). Norwood, New Jersey, USA: Ablex Publishing Corporation.
- Richter, I. 1990. West Germany, Switzerland and Austria. In: I. Birch and I. Richter, eds.,Comparative School Law (119-138). Exeter, UK: Pergamon Press.
- Stein, Ekkehart und Roell, Monika. 1988.Handbuch des Schulrechts. Köln: Heymann.
- Taylor, John Wesley V. 1986.Self-concept in Home-schooling Children. Ph.D. thesis, Andrews University, USA.
- Van Galen, Jane and Pitman, Mary Ann. 1991.Home Schooling: Political, Historical, and Pedagogical Perspectives. Norwood, New Jersey, USA: Ablex Publishing Corporation.
- Webb, Julie. 1988.Home-based Education: Some Aspects of Its Practice and Consequences. Ph.D. thesis, Open University, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Home educators and the law within Europe
International Review of Education
Volume 41, Issue 3-4 , pp 285-296
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links