Honey bees as carriers of lychee erinose miteEriophyes litchii (Acari: Eriophyiidae)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Up to 23% of honey bees (Apis mellifera Linnaeus) collected from flowering lychee trees, severely infested with the lychee erinose mite (Eriophyes litchii Keifer), were found to be carrying live mites which were picked up as the bees foraged. This method of lychee erinose mite dispersal is discussed in the context of periodic records of “spontaneous infestation” of lychee flower panicles from previously uninfested orchards.
- Alum, Z.M., Wadud, M.A. (1963) On the biology of litchi erinose mite,Aceria litchii Keifer (Eriophyiidae: Acarina) in East Pakistan. Pakistan J. Sci. 18: pp. 232-240
- Butani, D.K. (1977) Pests of litchi in India and their control. Fruits 32: pp. 269-273
- Huang, B.K. (1985) Lychee gall mite-Aceria litchii Keifer. Control and a Collection of Illustrative Plates of Diseases and Pests of Fruit Crops. Fujian Science and Technology Publishing House, Fuzhou
- Lall, B.S., Rahman, M.F. (1975) Studies on the bionomics and control of the erinose miteEriophyes litchii Keifer (Acarina: Eriophyiidae). Pesticides 9: pp. 49-54
- Mishra, C.S. (1912) Litchi leafcurl. Agric. J. India 7: pp. 286-923
- Nishida, T. and Holdaway, F.G., 1945. The erinose mite of lychee. Hawaii Agricultural Experiment Station Circular 48.
- Pinese, B. (1981) Erinose mite — a serious litchi pest. Queensland Agric. J. 107: pp. 79-81
- Shvanderov, F.A. (1975) The role of phoresy in the transference of Eriophyoidea. Zool. Zh. 54: pp. 458-461
- Waite, G.K., 1986. Pests of lychees in Australia. In: C.M. Menzel and G.N. Greer (Editors), The Potential of Lychee in Australia. Proceedings of the First National Lychee Seminar, 14 and 15 February 1986, at Sunshine Plantation, Woombye, Qld., Australia. Sunshine Coast Subtropical Fruits Association, pp. 42–48.
- Honey bees as carriers of lychee erinose miteEriophyes litchii (Acari: Eriophyiidae)
Experimental & Applied Acarology
Volume 15, Issue 4 , pp 299-302
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors