Cytodiagnosis of soft tissue tumors and tumor-like conditions by means of fine needle aspiration biopsy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the evaluation of soft tissue tumors primary sarcomas must be differentiated from other malignancies, such as cancer metastases, malignant lymphomas, as well as benign tumors and tumor-like conditions. As far as possible this should be done without open biopsy to avoid local spread.
Fine needle aspiration biopsy as opposed to thick needle biopsy utilizes smaller needle diameters up to 0.8 mm with assumed negligible risks of local or distant tumor spread. Such a fine needle aspiration biopsy for cytodiagnosis was supposed to increase the reliability of the preoperative diagnosis.
In a consecutive series of 187 patients referred to an orthopedic oncology group because of suspected malignancy fine needle aspiration biopsy was made. In 129 cases with histology and in 49 non-operated cases with at least 2 years of clinical follow-up the reliability of the method is analyzed. In 163 cases the aspirated material was sufficient for a diagnosis and 152 cytological reports were correct regarding the diagnosis of a malignancy contra a benign tumor or tumor-like condition. Thirty-five of 43 malignancies were primary soft tissue sarcomas, 28 of these with a correct cytologic diagnosis of sarcoma. Eight were malignant lymphomas or carcinomas. Fourty-nine patients with 48 benign and one malignant cytological diagnosis were not operated upon. At least 2 years of clinical follow-up confirmed a benign diagnosis in these cases. The total reliability is thus around 85%.
Fine needle aspiration biopsy is considered to be a very valuable complement to other investigations in the diagnostic work-up of soft tissue tumors.
- Ahmed N, Feldman M, Seemayer T (1974) Letter to the Editor: Cytology of epitheloid sarcoma. Acta Cytol 18:459–461
- Åkerman M, Berg NO, Persson B (1976) Fine needle aspiration biopsy in the evaluation of tumor-like lesions of bone. Acta Orthop Scand 47:129–136
- Engzell U, Jakobsson PÅ, Sigurdsson Å, Zajicek J (1971) Aspiration biopsy of metastatic carcinoma in lymph nodes of the neck. A review of l,101 consecutive cases. Acta Otolaryng (Stockholm) 72:138–147
- Engzell U, Esposti P-L, Rubio C, Sigurdsson Å, Zajicek J (1971) Investigation on tumor spread in connection with aspiration biopsy. Acta Radiol (Stockholm) 10:385–398
- Esposti P-L, Franzén S, Zajicek J (1968) Diagnostic cytology and its histopathologic bases, 2nd ed. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp 571–575
- Ferrucci J, Wittenberg J, Margolies M, Carey R (1979) Malignant seeding of the tract after thin-needle aspiration biopsy. Diagn Radiol 130:345–346
- Franzén S, Jakobsson PÅ, Körlof B, Lagergren K, Nilsonne U, Nylén B, Strander H, Söderberg K (1975) Malignant tumors in the soft parts. Läkartidningen 72:4268, 4272
- Hedberg K (1974) The Fifth International Congress of Cytology, Miami Abstr No 64
- Hong IS (1978) Cytologic findings in a case of malignant fibrous histiocytoma. Acta Cytol 22:519–522
- Koivuhiemi A, Nichels J (1978) Synovial sarcoma diagnoses by fine-needle aspiration biopsy. Acta Cytol 22:515–518
- Kreutzer G, Boquoi E (1977) Needle biopsies of sarcomas of the breast: Cytomorphology and DNA cytophotometry. Geburtsh Frauenheilk 37:416–422
- Mc Laughlin M, Ho C-S, Langer B (1978) Fine needle aspiration biopsy of malignant lesions in and around the pancreas. Cancer 41:2413
- McLaughlin M, Ho C-S, Tao L-C (1978) Percutaneous needle aspiration biopsy. CMA J 119:1324–1328
- Sinner WN, Zajicek J (1976) Implantation metastasis after percutaneous transthoracic needle aspiration biopsy. Acta Radiol Diagn 17:473–479
- Stener B (1978) The management of soft tissue tumors. Int Orthop (SICOT) 1:289–298
- Zajicek J (1974) Aspiration biopsy cytology; Monographs in clinical cytology 4 Part 1, Chicago, Ill
- Uehara H (1978) Cytology of alveolar soft part sarcoma. Acta Cytol 22:191–192
- Cytodiagnosis of soft tissue tumors and tumor-like conditions by means of fine needle aspiration biopsy
Archives of orthopaedic and traumatic surgery
Volume 96, Issue 1 , pp 61-67
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links