Packet routing and job-shop scheduling inO(congestion+dilation) steps
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we prove that there exists a schedule for routing any set of packets with edge-simple paths, on any network, inO(c+d) steps, wherec is the congestion of the paths in the network, andd is the length of the longest path. The result has applications to packet routing in parallel machines, network emulations, and job-shop scheduling.
- N. Alon: A parallel algorithmic version of the Local Lemma. InProceedings of the 32nd Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (1991), 586–593.
- J. Beck: An algorithmic approach to the Lovász Local Lemma I.Random Structures and Algorithms, to appear.
- R. Koch, T. Leighton, B. Maggs, S. Rao, andA. Rosenberg: Work-preserving emulations of fixed-connection networks. InProceedings of the 21st Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing May 1989, 227–240.
- Lawler, E. L., Lenstra, J. K., Rinnooy Kan, A. H. G., Shmoys, D. B. (1989) Sequencing and scheduling: Algorithms and complexity. Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Leighton, F. T. (1992) Introduction to Parallel Algorithms and Architectures: Arrays • Tree • Hypercubes. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo, CA
- F. T. Leighton, B. M. Maggs, A. G. Ranade, andS. B. Rao: Randomized routing and sorting on fixed-connection networks,Journal of Algorithms, to appear.
- T. Leighton, B. Maggs, andS. Rao: Fast algorithms for findingO(congestion+dilation) packet routing schedules. Manuscript in preparation.
- T. Leighton, B. Maggs, andS. Rao: Universal packet routing algorithms. InProceedings of the 29th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, IEEE Computer Society Press, October 1988, 256–271.
- A. G. Ranade: How to emulate shared memory. InProceedings of the 28th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, IEEE Computer Society Press, October 1987, 185–194.
- Sevast'yanov, S. V. (1986) Bounding algorithm for routing problem with arbitrary paths and alternate servers. Kibernetika 22: pp. 74-79
- D. B. Shmoys, C. Stein, andJ. Wein: Improved approximation algorithms for shop scheduling problems. InProceedings of the 2nd Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms January 1991, 148–157.
- Spencer, J. (1987) Ten Lectures on the Probabilistic Method. SIAM, Philadelphia, PA
- Packet routing and job-shop scheduling inO(congestion+dilation) steps
Volume 14, Issue 2 , pp 167-186
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- 68 M 20
- 68 M 10
- 68 M 07
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mathematics Department and Laboratory for Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 02139, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
- 2. School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, 15213, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- 3. NEC Research Institute, 4 Independence Way, 08540, Princeton, NJ, USA