Exact nonlinear travelling hydromagnetic wave solutions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Exact travelling wave solutions for hydromagnetic waves in an exponentially stratified incompressible medium are obtained. With the help of two integrals it becomes possible to reduce the system of seven nonlinear PDE's to a second order nonlinear ODE which describes an one dimensional harmonic oscillator with a nonlinear friction term. This equation is studied in detail in the phase plane. The travelling waves are periodic only when they propagate either horizontally or vertically. The reduced second order nonlinear differential equation describing the travelling waves in inhomogeneous conducting media has rather ubiquitous nature in that it also appears in other geophysical systems such as internal waves, Rossby waves and topographic Rossby waves in the ocean.
- Barenblatt, G. I.: Similarity, self-similarity and intermediate asymptotics. New York: Consultants Bureau 1979.
- Courant, R., Friedrichs, K. O.: Supersonic flow and shock waves. New York: Interscience 1948.
- Schindler, G. M.: Simple waves in multidimensional gas flow. SIAM J. Appl. Math.19, 390–407 (1970).
- Kalinowski, M. W., Grundland, A.: Simple waves for equation of potential, nonstationary flow of compressible gas. J. Math. Phys.27, 1906–1915 (1986).
- Acheson, D. J.: The critical level for hydromagnetic waves in a rotating fluid. J. Fluid Mech.53, 401–415 (1972).
- Rudraiah, N., Venkatachalappa, M.: Propagation of internal gravity waves in perfectly conducting fluids with shear flow, rotation and transverse magnetic field. J. Fluid Mech.52, 193–206 (1972).
- Rudraiah, N., Venkatachalappa, M.: Propagation of Alfvén-gravitational waves in a stratified perfectly conducting flow with transverse magnetic field. J. Fluid Mech.54, 209–215 (1972).
- Rudraiah, N., Venkatachalappa, M.: Momentum transport by gravity waves in a perfectly conducting shear flow. J. Fluid Mech.54, 217–240 (1972).
- Rudraiah, N., Venkatachalappa, M.: Effect of Ohmic dissipation on internal Alfvén-gravity waves in a conducting shear flow. J. Fluid Mech.62, 705–726 (1974).
- Rudraiah, N., Venkatachalappa, M.: Propagation of hydromagnetic waves in a perfectly conducting nonisothermal atmosphere in the presence of rotation and variable magnetic field. J. Fluid Mech.89, 785–792 (1979).
- Grimshaw, R.: Internal gravity waves: critical layer absorption in a rotating fluid. J. Fluid Mech.70, 287–304 (1975).
- Rudraiah, N., Venkatachalappa, M., Kandaswamy, P.: Propagation of internal Alfvén-acoustic-gravity waves in a perfectly conducting isothermal compressible fluid. J. Fluid Mech.80, 223–236 (1977).
- Rudraiah, N., Venkatachalappa, M., Kandaswamy, P.: Propagation and reflection of Alfvén-acoustic-gravity waves in an isothermal compressible fluid. J. Fluid Mech.80, 223–236 (1977).
- Seshadri, V. S., Sachdev, P. L.: Quasi-simple wave solutions for acoustic gravity waves. Phys. Fluids20, 888–894 (1977).
- Adam, A.: Solar magnetoatmospheric waves—a simplified mathematical treatment. Astron. Astrophys.60, 171–179 (1977).
- Nye, A. H., Thomas, J. H.: Solar magneto-atmospheric waves. I. An exact solution for a horizontal magnetic field. Astrophys. J.204, 573–581 (1976).
- Nye, A. H., Thomas, J. H.: Solar magneto-atmospheric waves. II. A model for running Penumbral waves. Astrophys. J.204, 582–588 (1976).
- Yu, C. P.: Magneto- atmospheric waves in a horizontal stratified conducting medium. Phys. Fluids8, 650–656 (1965).
- Talwar, S. P.: Stability of a conducting rotating fluid of variable density. J. Fluid Mech.9, 581–592 (1960).
- Odulo, Al. B., Odulo, An. B., Chusov, M. A.: On one class of nonlinear stationary waves in the ocean. Izvestiya, Atmosph. Ocean. Phys.13, 584–587 (1977).
- Cole, J. D.: Perturbation methods in applied mathematics. Blaisdell Publishing Company 1968.
- Sachdev, P. L., Gupta, N.: Exact travelling-wave solutions for model geophysical systems. Studies Appl. Math.82, 267–289 (1990).
- Exact nonlinear travelling hydromagnetic wave solutions
Volume 93, Issue 1-4 , pp 1-11
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. UGC-DSA Centre in Fluid Mechanics, Department of Mathematics, Central College, Bangalore University, 560001, Bangalore, India
- 2. Vice-Chancellor, Gulbarga University, 585 106, Gulbarga, India
- 3. Department of Mathematics, Indian Institute of Science, 560012, Bangalore, India