Unsteady incompressible two-dimensional and axisymmetric turbulent boundary layer flows
- Dr. M. Kumari
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The unsteady turbulent incompressible boundary-layer flow over two-dimensional and axisymmetric bodies with pressure gradient has been studied. An eddy-viscosity model has been used to model the Reynolds shear stress. The unsteadiness is due to variations in the free stream velocity with time. The nonlinear partial differential equation with three independent variables governing the flow has been solved using Keller's Box method. The results indicate that the free stram velocity distribution exerts strong influence on the boundary-layer characteristics. The point of zero skin friction is found to move upstream as time increases.
- McCroskey, W. J., Philippe, J. J. (1975) Unsteady viscous flow on oscillating airfoils. AIAA J. 13: pp. 71-79
- Telionis, D. P.: Calculations of time dependent boundary layers, in: Unsteady aerodynamics (Kinney, R. B., ed.)1, 155 (1975).
- Nash, J. F., Carr, L. W., Singelton, R. E. (1975) Unsteady turbulent boundary layers in two-dimensional, incompressible flow. AIAA J. 13: pp. 167-173
- Patel, V. C., Nash, J. F.: Unsteady turbulent boundary layers with flow reversal, in: Unsteady aerodynamics (Kinney, R. B., ed.)1, 191 (1975).
- Cebeci, T. (1977) Calculation of unsteady two-dimensional laminar and turbulent boundary layers with fluctuations in external velocity. Proc. Roy. Soc. London, A 355: pp. 225-238
- Bradshaw, P.: NPL Aero. Rept.-1288, 1969.
- Cebeci, T.: Calculation of laminar and turbulent boundary layers for two-dimensional time-dependent flows. NASA CR-2820, 1977.
- Karlsson, S. K. F. (1959) An unsteady turbulent boundary layer. J. Fluid Mech. 5: pp. 622-636
- Telionis, D. P., Tsahalis, D. Th. (1976) Unsteady turbulent boundary layers and separation. AIAA J. 14: pp. 468-474
- Patel, M. H. (1981) An integral method for the oscillating turbulent boundary layer. The Aeronautical Quart. 32: pp. 271-298
- Fernholz, H. H., Vagt, J. D. (1981) Turbulence meyasurements in an adverse pressuregradient three-dimensional boundary layer along a circular cylinder. J. Fluid Mech. 11: pp. 233-269
- Kiya, M., Suzuki, Y., Arie, M., Hagino, M. (1982) A contribution to the free-stream turbulence effect on the flow past a circular cylinder. J. Fluid Mech. 115: pp. 151-164
- Roshko, A. (1961) Experiments on the flow past a circular cylinder at high Reynolds number. J. Fluid Mech. 10: pp. 345-356
- Cebeci, T., Mosinskis, G. J., Smith, A. M. O. (1972) Calculation of seperation points in incompressible turbulent flows. J. Aircraft 9: pp. 618-624
- Fage, A.: Experiments on a sphere at a critical Reynolds numbers. ARC R M-1766 (1937).
- Sears, W. R., Telionis, D. P. (1975) Boundary layer separation in unsteady flow. SIAM J. Appl. Math. 28: pp. 215-235
- Williams, J. C. (1977) Incompressible laminar boundary layer separation. Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 9: pp. 113-144
- McCroskey, W. J. (1977) Some current research in unsteady fluid dynamics. Trans. ASME, J. Fluids Engng. 99: pp. 8-38
- Telionis, D. P. (1979) Review-unsteady boundary layers, separated and attached. Trans. ASME, J. Fluids Engng. 101: pp. 29-43
- Telionis, D. P., Tsahalis, D. Th., Werle, M. J. (1973) Numerical investigation of unsteady boundary layer separation. The Phys. Fluids 16: pp. 968-973
- Telionis, D. P., Tsahalis, D. Th. (1974) The response of unsteady boundary layers separation to impulsive changes of outer flow. AIAA J. 12: pp. 614-619
- Williams, J. C., Johnson, W. D. (1974) Semi-similar solutions of unsteady boundary layer flows including separation. AIAA J. 12: pp. 1388-1393
- Williams, J. C. III, Johnson, W. D.: New solutions to the unsteady laminar boundarylayer equations including the approach to separation, in: Unsteady aerodynamics (Kinney, R. B., ed.),1, 261 (1975).
- Cebeci, T. (1979) The laminar boundary layer on a circular cylinder started impulsively from rest. J. Comput. Phys. 31: pp. 153-172
- Williams, J. C. (1982) Flow developments in the vicinity of the sharp trailing edge on bodies impulsively set into motion. J. Fluid Mech. 115: pp. 27-37
- Dommelen, L. L., Shen, S. F. (1983) An unsteady interactive separation process. AIAA J. 21: pp. 358-362
- Williams, J. C., Wang, T. J. (1985) Semisimilar solutions of the unsteady compressible laminar boundary-layer equations. AIAA J. 23: pp. 228-233
- Cebeci, T., Bradshaw, P. (1984) Physical and computational aspects of convective heat transfer. Springer, New York
- Surma Devi, C. D., Nath, G. (1983) Unsteady nonsimilar laminar boundary layer flows with heat and mass transfer. Acta Technica Csav 28: pp. 225-239
- Cebeci, T., Bradshaw, P. (1977) Momentum transfer in boundary layers. McGraw-Hill-Hemisphere, Washington
- Cebeci, T., Smith, A. M. O. (1974) Analysis of turbulent boundary layers. Academic Press, New York
- Chang, P. K. (1970) Separation of flow. Pergamon Press, Oxford
- Unsteady incompressible two-dimensional and axisymmetric turbulent boundary layer flows
Volume 59, Issue 3-4 , pp 251-268
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Dr. M. Kumari (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Applied Mathematics, Indian Institute of Science, 560012, Bangalore, India