CO2 laser cutting of stained glass
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper covers the CO2 laser cutting of stained glass using a Ferranti MF400 CNC laser cutting machine. The report examines the various laser cutting parameters required to generate a cut surface in glass which will require minimal post-treatment to be carried out, and also investigates the degree of geometrical intricacy that can be attempted, together with the associated limitations, in cutting 2D glass components. The experimental procedure used to obtain the necessary information for a preliminary database on the laser cutting of stained glass is also detailed. Finally, the implications and applications of the investigative work are examined for commercial situations through construction of a simple 2D test artefact.
- G. Freeman, “Laser machining”,Lecture to Edinburgh and SE Scotland Panel of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Edinburgh, November 1992.
- J. A. Ridealgh, A. D. Rawlings and D. R. F. West, “Laser cutting of glass ceramic matrix composite”,Materials Science and Technology 6, pp. 395–399, April 1990.
- B. Wielage and J. Drozak, “Laser cutting of ceramics and powder metallurgy compounds”,Metallurgy, pp. 24–31, January 1991.
- J. Powell, G. Ellis, I. A. Menzies and P. F. Scheyvaerts, “CO2 laser cutting of non-metallic materials”,Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Lasers in Manufacturing, p. 69–82, May 1987.
- K. M. Lam, “Laser profiling-intricacy factor”, BEng dissertation, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh 1992.
- P. Thorgersen, “Development of laser cutting materials database”, BEng dissertation, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh 1990.
- G. A. Thomson, “The development of a CO2 laser cutting material evaluation procedure and the construction of a database to store this information”, MPhil thesis, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh 1993.
- CO2 laser cutting of stained glass
The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 47-59
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Laser cutting
- Industry Sectors