An efficient marching algorithm for waterhammer analysis by the method of characteristics
- P. Thanapandi
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new fast and efficient marching algorithm is introduced to solve the basic quasilinear, hyperbolic partial differential equations describing unsteady, flow in conduits by the method of characteristics. The details of the marching method are presented with an illustration of the waterhammer problem in a simple piping system both for friction and frictionless cases. It is shown that for the same accuracy the new marching method requires fewer computational steps, less computer memory and time.
- Parmakian, J.: Waterhammer analysis. New York: Dover 1963.
- Abbott, M. B.: An introduction to the method of characteristics. New York: American Elsevier 1966.
- Evangelisti, G.: Waterhammer analysis by method of characteristics. L'Energ. Elec. Vol., XIVI, Nos. 10, 11, 12. Milan 1969.
- Wylie, E. B., Streeter, V. L.: Fluid transients. McGraw-Hill 1978.
- Chaudhry, M. H.: Applied hydraulic transients. New York: Van Nostrand 1978.
- Chaudhry, M. H., Hussaini, M. Y.: Second-order accurate explicit finite-difference schemes for waterhammer analysis. Trans. ASME: J. Fluids Engng.107, 523–529 (1985).
- An efficient marching algorithm for waterhammer analysis by the method of characteristics
Volume 94, Issue 1-2 , pp 105-112
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- P. Thanapandi (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, 560012, Bangalore, India