A platonist epistemology
- Mark Balaguer
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A response is given here to Benacerraf's 1973 argument that mathematical platonism is incompatible with a naturalistic epistemology. Unlike almost all previous platonist responses to Benacerraf, the response given here is positive rather than negative; that is, rather than trying to find a problem with Benacerraf's argument, I accept his challenge and meet it head on by constructing an epistemology of abstract (i.e., aspatial and atemporal) mathematical objects. Thus, I show that spatio-temporal creatures like ourselves can attain knowledge about mathematical objects by simply explaininghow they can do this. My argument is based upon the adoption of a particular version of platonism — full-blooded platonism — which asserts that any mathematical object which possiblycould exist actuallydoes exist.
- Balaguer, M.: 1994, ‘Against (Maddian) Naturalized Platonism’,Philosophia Mathematica 2, 97–108.
- Balaguer, M.: in progress,Platonism and Anti-Platonism in Mathematics.
- Benacerraf, P.: 1973, ‘Mathematical Truth’,Journal of Philosophy 70, 661–79.
- Field, H.: 1989,Realism, Mathematics, and Modality, Basil Blackwell, New York.
- Field, H.: 1991, ‘Metalogic and Modality’,Philosophical Studies 62, 1–22.
- Frege, G.: 1980,Philosophical and Mathematical Correspondence, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Gödel, K.: 1964, ‘What is Cantor's Continuum Problem?’, reprinted in Benacerraf and Putnam (eds.),Philosophy of Mathematics, 2nd ed., 1983, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 470–85.
- Katz, J.: 1981,Language and Other Abstract Objects, Rowman and Littlefield, Totowa, NJ.
- Kreisel, G.: 1967, ‘Informal Rigor and Completeness Proofs’, in Lakatos (ed.),Problems in the Philosophy of Mathematics, North-Holland, Amsterdam, pp. 138–71.
- Lewis, D.: 1986,On the Plurality of Worlds, Basil Blackwell, Oxford.
- Maddy, P.: 1990,Realism in Mathematics, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Resnik, M.: 1982, ‘Mathematics as a Science of Patterns: Epistemology’,Noûs 16, 95–105.
- A platonist epistemology
Volume 103, Issue 3 , pp 303-325
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Mark Balaguer (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, California State University, Los Angeles, 5151 State University Drive, 90032, Los Angeles, CA, USA